Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya Z. I can't tell if you are positive or not about the direction the UK may move in.

Clearly I'm pessimistic, but do you see more promise? I'm concerned at the removal of support for PV and on-shore wind, and the failure to move forward on tidal (particularly the Swansea scheme as a test case almost). But knowing that new off-shore wind is currently supplying about 5% of our leccy, and should increase to 10% by 2020 is promising.

Mart.
    Hi

Fully positive, but taking a wider viewpoint and certainly not even contemplating an 'at any cost' career legacy approach for some politician or civil servant.

Depending on which figures you believe, the simple act of cancelling just three 'H' projects (Heathrow, HS2 & Hinckley) would release vast resources which can be reallocated to projects which could achieve a great deal more good in both the environmental and economic fronts ....

We in this country tend to expend little more than time & money in allowing expensive bodies to vastly over-think, over-plan and over-egg the benefits of major projects, but when it comes down to delivering to promise, totally shirk the responsibility to hold departments & contractors to account .... there's absolutely no excuse for it other than poor management processes and incompetence.

Regarding the Swansea scheme, considering the cost and it's relative insignificance, I'd cancel that too and reallocate the funding to a number of strategically placed permanent tidal flow schemes which could ultimately be incorporated into a full-scale Severn-Barrage ... it's a by-product of joined-up-thinking called modular phased development which, by utilising the well proved manufacturing concept of concurrent engineering could actually start delivering renewable energy to the grid before those supporting the current 'Whitehall approach' have even finished sharpening their pencils ..... forget the idea of a tidal £305/MWh(ish) cfd ... if the government can't find a contractor to quickly deliver a decent scale test-bed solution for well below half the latest cost of off-shore wind using existing technologies & engineering practices then they're simply no good at their jobs and should be advised to retrain elsewhere at someone else's expense ...

I see far more promise in positive decisions than allowing continual drift without consequence, so reviewing and/or cancelling anything which doesn't have a directly quantifiable positive economic impact combined with a real ROI would be a good thing in my book. Prioritisation is key, the country can build the fancy 'nice to have' pretty things, vanity projects or more costly alternatives when there's piles of surplus money in HMTreasury and nothing important left on the 'to do' list to spend it on, but until then we should concentrate on what delivers immediate quantifiable cash benefits to UKplc .... if that means Gas, Gatwick & Great Western in the meantime then, unless you're one of the very few people directly linked to the formerly mentioned three H's, what's the issue ??

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Depending on which figures you believe, the simple act of cancelling just three 'H' projects (Heathrow, HS2 & Hinckley) would release vast resources which can be reallocated to projects which could achieve a great deal more good in both the environmental and economic fronts ....

HTH
    Z

Thanks, that's interesting.

Regarding the big capital projects, I'm of a very similar mind, but hadn't thought of the 3 H's as a term.

Without some move to bio fuels, air flights may not be able to keep growing. And again, I'm not saying that in a 'back to living in caves' type argument, but transport emissions are a big issue.

HS2 baffles me, will business people be travelling as much in the future? Will the time savings be that important if they can operate a virtual office from their laptop/tablet? Do holidaymakers and daytrippers care all that much about the journey time, or is it part of the experience.

Hinkley ..... Oh my God. I'm not yet convinced that nuclear doesn't have a part to play, but the scale of the subsidy for HPC (and Sizewell if they expand the contract) is simply terrifying. Sign today for £102/MWh, delivered in 2028, or wait till 2025 and sign for £85/MWh or so for off-shore wind delivered in 2028 (or even less for on-shore wind and PV).

Also of a similar timescale to HPC is Ice-Link, the interconnectors to Iceland. they are looking for £96/MWh, but crucially, only for 15yrs, not the 35 that HPC will get. So that would be green leccy, but guaranteed. There's also a £111/MWh option, if we want a variable supply (65%cf) to operate in conjunction with wind generation in Scotland, in case the UK interconnectors can't cope.

BTW the Swansea tidal scheme isn't £305, that's the max bid allowed for tidal CfD submissions. Swansea was looking for £168, though a revised version for £96 is possible, but for a longer CfD term. I like the scheme as it won't generate that much, so won't receive too much subsidies, but is expected to lead the way (by establishing the build practice) for a much cheaper price for the 10x larger Cardiff scheme. So I see it as an investment in the technology/idea.

I'm slowly giving up hope on the Severn Barrage, whilst I've always loved the idea, it can't really compete with off-shore wind now that costs are falling. So whilst it's probably/possibly a good long term investment, we now have tried and tested off-shore wind, at 40-50%cf, cheaper, and with a faster rollout. Hence why there has been some fallback to the suggestion of smaller lagoons around the coast.

I'm glad you are so positive, hopefully it will rub off on me as I'm quite concerned at the lack of funding going forward for wind and PV, but that brings us back to your 1 of 3 H's idea, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    If anyone is interested in Ice-Link, this document is very thorough. the costs are on page 40, and an explanation of the 65% option is on page 24.

Interconnector between Iceland and GB,
    cost benefit analysis and impact assessment

Mart.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • zeupater
    edited 7 September 2016 at 11:17PM
    .... BTW the Swansea tidal scheme isn't £305, that's the max bid allowed for tidal CfD submissions. Swansea was looking for £168, though a revised version for £96 is possible, but for a longer CfD term. I like the scheme as it won't generate that much, so won't receive too much subsidies, but is expected to lead the way (by establishing the build practice) for a much cheaper price for the 10x larger Cardiff scheme. So I see it as an investment in the technology/idea.

I'm slowly giving up hope on the Severn Barrage, whilst I've always loved the idea, it can't really compete with off-shore wind now that costs are falling. So whilst it's probably/possibly a good long term investment, we now have tried and tested off-shore wind, at 40-50%cf, cheaper, and with a faster rollout. Hence why there has been some fallback to the suggestion of smaller lagoons around the coast ....
    Hi

The £305 relates to the tidal flow & wavepower strike prices as per .... ( https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/263937/Final_Document_-_Investing_in_renewable_technologies_-_CfD_contract_terms_and_strike_prices_UPDATED_6_DEC.pdf ) ... which was mentioned in parliamentary session just this afternoon ... (yes I know, I'm a sad individual who takes interest in live debates!) ....

The issue as I see it is that too much tidal & wavepower research effort concentrates on reinventing perfectly serviceable wheels whilst little focusses on flow concentration in order to optimise efficiency.... we all know the effect of doubling wind speed on power generation, so why not artificially increase tidal flow velocity through the generating hubs using relatively cheap flow concentrating heavy civil engineering and therefore decrease the need for the far more expensive mechanical engineering ... it's not rocket science, but where's the academic research centre which combines civil, mechanical, electrical & marine engineering with oceanography and basic physics to explore low cost, low maintenance and scaleable solutions ?? ... a modular repeatable solution to leverage the combination of centuries old civil engineering and mechanical engineering experience to utilise basic physics in order to tap a reliable energy source to generate relatively high load-factor electricity for the grid .... now why should that combination be any more expensive than a forest of offshore windmills ?? ... If they could build the mile long Plymouth breakwater from 4million tonnes of stone 200 years ago with little more than manual labour, horses, wooden boats, shovels and a little steam for well below £100million (current cost), I'm sure that the relative cost per unit length using modern equipment and technologies should be seriously lower .... if not why have we actually been chasing technological advances for the past couple of centuries ??

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    edited 8 September 2016 at 8:52AM
    Hiya Z. I'm aware of the £305 figure but it is the bidding limit, here's the list the government produced (page 7):-

Investing in renewable technologies – CfD contract terms and strike prices

But these are not the amounts the technologies will get, they are simply the highest figure that can be submitted for consideration, or part of a bidding process.

As mentioned, Swansea was asking for £168/MWh, and the government has not given approval (yet?) despite it being nearly half the CfD bid max.

You'll see that the figure for PV in 2014 was £120, but the bids came in at £80. As did the on-shore wind bids, though the CfD max was £95.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but it's an important point as I often see people quoting the CfD max to show that PV costs more than HPC, rather than the actual auction results.

On a personal note, I don't understand why the government doesn't release a revised document, as it is 3years old, highly misleading, and most RE has fallen considerably in cost since then.

Here's some recent tidal flow news:

Nova hails 'world first' tidal array

[Edit: The CfD pricing document caused some consternation when it was produced, as the government set a £120 figure for PV, when the STA (Solar Trade Association) had suggested £100. The suspicion was that HMG didn't want PV to appear too cheap following the HPC CfD. M.]

Mart.

• Martyn1981
    edited 8 September 2016 at 8:52AM
    now why should that combination be any more expensive than a forest of offshore windmills ?? ... If they could build the mile long Plymouth breakwater from 4million tonnes of stone 200 years ago with little more than manual labour, horses, wooden boats, shovels and a little steam for well below £100million (current cost), I'm sure that the relative cost per unit length using modern equipment and technologies should be seriously lower .... if not why have we actually been chasing technological advances for the past couple of centuries ??

HTH
    Z

I agree. Another issue with these large schemes is that they seem to be priced solely on generation income. But both Cardiff and Swansea built barrages purely for aesthetic purposes, bringing value to the areas.

Lagoons would attract all sorts of income, and the Severn Barrage could bring millions in flood prevention savings upstream.

As a package I'd have thought the costs were reasonable. I think the last estimate of costs for the barrage were £32bn, but the government talked down the HPC costs at the time, but which are now estimated to be around £24bn+. I also seem to recall that HPC was allowed to include the existing grid infrastructure in its costs, but the barrage wasn't (assuming HPC would need it).

£32bn for 5% of our leccy, v's £24bn for 7% might not look like great value, but add in the extra benefits, and a life expectancy of around 120yrs v's 60, and I think it works ...... ???

Mart.

• Martyn1981
    Hi

The £305 relates to the tidal flow & wavepower strike prices as per

HTH
    Z

Just a thought, and only me speculating, but I wonder if the very high max on these schemes is to allow the development of small systems, with the hope of future cost reductions (just like the early PV subsidies). Whereas the reluctance of the government to approve the cheaper, but much larger Swansea scheme is due to the need to get costs down on the 'less' new projects?

Not really sure?

Another sight you might be interested in is this link to CfD contracts. The amounts are the upto date costs including CPI uplifts.

Mart.

• Martyn1981
    Some big targets from Labour. No idea if they are possible.

Corbyn pledges 65% renewable electricity by 2030 with 25GW of solar

Mart.

• zeupater
    edited 8 September 2016 at 2:59PM
    Hiya Z. I'm aware of the £305 figure but it is the bidding limit, here's the list the government produced (page 7):-

Investing in renewable technologies – CfD contract terms and strike prices

But these are not the amounts the technologies will get, they are simply the highest figure that can be submitted for consideration, or part of a bidding process.

As mentioned, Swansea was asking for £168/MWh, and the government has not given approval (yet?) despite it being nearly half the CfD bid max.

You'll see that the figure for PV in 2014 was £120, but the bids came in at £80. As did the on-shore wind bids, though the CfD max was £95.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but it's an important point as I often see people quoting the CfD max to show that PV costs more than HPC, rather than the actual auction results.

On a personal note, I don't understand why the government doesn't release a revised document, as it is 3years old, highly misleading, and most RE has fallen considerably in cost since then.

Here's some recent tidal flow news:

Nova hails 'world first' tidal array

[Edit: The CfD pricing document caused some consternation when it was produced, as the government set a £120 figure for PV, when the STA (Solar Trade Association) had suggested £100. The suspicion was that HMG didn't want PV to appear too cheap following the HPC CfD. M.]

Mart.
    Hi

I understand what you're saying .. however, in the absence of actual bids for a large scale strategic tidal stream development in the Severn estuary then whatever figure we debate will be pure guesswork. The fact remains that the £305 figure is current and therefore will be seen as a potential target for any developers to aim for, but that's not the point at hand ...

In simple terms, because water has a higher density than air it has a higher mass which results in a proportionally greater energy potential for any given volume at any given flow rate - moreover, unlike airflow, the three dimensional flow disruption of water is severely hindered in the vertical plane by gravity and mass which suits flow concentration and significantly reduces the spill rate ...

Spill rate now becomes important, with the relative densities of air (1.225kg/m3) and water (1000kg/m3) being so great not only is the energy available within any given swept area over 800 times greater (1000/1.225) but engineering flow concentration also multiplies velocity whilst confining spill (resistance induced flow around the swept area) .... this means that for a given swept area a far greater proportion of energy can be harvested ...

A well engineered flow concentration system should easily quadruple the flow velocity thus multiplying the potential energy harvest for a given swept area by a factor of 64 as well as effectively eliminating spill .... so somewhere between 64x and 100x more energy becomes possible just by building a concrete/stone structure .... but it doesn't end there! ....

Because the flow is concentrated through a swept area the turbine diameter of that swept area can be significantly reduced ... this is pretty useful when looking to reduce build costs .... shallow(er) water systems suddenly become feasible which has significant impacts on material, transport, labour, design, access and ongoing running costs ....

So what's the potential for concentrated tidal flow vs wind ? .... well if we consider 800x more from mass combined somewhere in the range of 64x to 100x from flow concentration ... shall we say that for a given swept area at a given flow velocity, it's possible to extract a conservative 50,000x (800x64) more energy from water .... then there's the load/capacity factor wind at 25% vs tidal at 60% which would raise the ratio to somewhere in the region of 100,000:1 .... that represents a 1.2m diameter concentrated flow turbine delivering the equivalent annual energy of about 4.5 of the largest offshore wind units (8MW nameplate/220m) costing around £25million each, so something for around the size & cost of the Plymouth breakwater with just one 1.2m diameter concentrated flow turbine would deliver more energy for less investment than the best performing wind turbines currently available ....

So, if we can build offshore wind farms which are financially viable at the latest strike prices, why on earth can't we engineer tidal flow or barrage solutions which cost less, deliver more energy and do so with considerably lower subsidy ? .... perhaps we should simply train new generations of engineers to the level attained a couple of hundred years ago ... ;):D

All theoretical of course and open to significant performance constraints, but it could be engineered to be modular and repeatable & certainly puts the estimated costs and benefits of such schemes to shame! ....

HTH
    Z
    B)
  • Martyn1981

So, if we can build offshore wind farms which are financially viable at the latest strike prices, why on earth can't we engineer tidal flow or barrage solutions which cost less, deliver more energy and do so with considerably lower subsidy ? .... perhaps we should simply train new generations of engineers to the level attained a couple of hundred years ago ... ;):D

All theoretical of course and open to significant performance constraints, but it could be engineered to be modular and repeatable & certainly puts the estimated costs and benefits of such schemes to shame! ....

HTH
    Z

That's probably why the potential CfD's are being held high, to allow some experimentation (and failure).

As you say the potential for generation from water is massive. And the UK enjoys a wide variety of tides at the same time, due to our being an Island. I hope something happens. Pelamis tried, the Scottish firm that sold wave power 'snakes' to Portugal, but they are now defunct.

Another wave power attempt is taking place in Gibraltar.

Mart.

PS I was watching some business news today discussing the spiralling costs of HS2 and the expected drop in demand for daily business commutes by 2030(ish). I'm sure someone mentioned a possible £100bn figure, but that may have been an exaggeration.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback