Early Retirement

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    sharpj wrote: »
    Calculations suggest ... it would take 10 years or so to get back that difference between the standard and higher lump sums.

Ten years? At age 58? Then take the bigger pension. If he needs some capital in the meantime, borrow it. Borrowing is still said to be cheaper than it's been in 5,000 years.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • sharpj
    sharpj Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Ten years? At age 58? Then take the bigger pension. If he needs some capital in the meantime, borrow it. Borrowing is still said to be cheaper than it's been in 5,000 years.

He won't need capital irrespective of which lump sum he chooses he already is mortgage and debt free plus has savings in the bank.

It's just a once in a lifetime chance to take a larger tax free lump sum, against that is the reduced pension v. smaller lump but better pension by around £200 per month- but he will get state pension in 2025 to supplement income.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I am in the same position in that I am 58 in few weeks time and retired a week ago. I can opt for a higher lump sum and lower pension but no way will I be doing that as the lump sum is only 12 times as much as the annual reduction. As I am fairly confident of living past 70 I will be taking the 25% TFLS only. We are lucky though in that we still have not touched my DHs lump sum when he retired at the end of 2016 and have plenty of savings and investments.

The only pro I can see to your friend taking the larger lump sum now is if he has debts or a high interest rate mortgage or is unwell. Almost certainly it is poor value to commute more of the pension but it does depend on the pension scheme and commutation rate. Mine is LGPS so as someone else has already said it is just 1 in 12. Unless he will end up with a very large annual pension taking part of his annual pension away may leave him vulnerable on income in a few years time when the lump sum has gone.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • If he doesn't need the lump sum then he should take the higher monthly pension.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • sharpj
    I am in the same position in that I am 58 in few weeks time and retired a week ago. I can opt for a higher lump sum and lower pension but no way will I be doing that as the lump sum is only 12 times as much as the annual reduction. As I am fairly confident of living past 70 I will be taking the 25% TFLS only. We are lucky though in that we still have not touched my DHs lump sum when he retired at the end of 2016 and have plenty of savings and investments.

The only pro I can see to your friend taking the larger lump sum now is if he has debts or a high interest rate mortgage or is unwell. Almost certainly it is poor value to commute more of the pension but it does depend on the pension scheme and commutation rate. Mine is LGPS so as someone else has already said it is just 1 in 12. Unless he will end up with a very large annual pension taking part of his annual pension away may leave him vulnerable on income in a few years time when the lump sum has gone.

He has another lump due of approx 26k due in 18 months, add to that
    the fact he will have considerable savings the lump sum probably won’t be gone anyway.
    He is also going to get state pension in 2025.
    With his wife’s salary, albeit not huge and some benefit he gets for his disabled son even on the lower pension he would still have an income
    close to 3k a month.

It’s obviously a tough one as the higher pension is for life however the savings he has wouldn’t necessarily reduce over time.
  • sharpj
    Just to give some figures I believe the lower pension is around 18,800 per year opposed to higher pension of 21,300

The difference between lump sums is around 28,000
  • Back to what I said earlier

If you can live comfortably on the lower pension and you are otherwise financially stable; you will be getting your state pension (around £500 - £600 pm if full contributions) Enjoy life ... you are a long time dead !
  • sharpj
    lotteryman wrote: »
    Back to what I said earlier

If you can live comfortably on the lower pension and you are otherwise financially stable; you will be getting your state pension (around £500 - £600 pm if full contributions) Enjoy life ... you are a long time dead !

Thanks, and yes we feel we can be perfectly fine on the lower pension.
    I actually gave phoned HMRC for a rough guide on tax and she kind of recommended the lower pension route due to what tax I will pay.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    sharpj wrote: »
    It's just a once in a lifetime chance to take a larger tax free lump sum, against that is the reduced pension v. smaller lump.

I can well understand the fancy for having a large capital sum available. But if he doesn't even know what he wants to spend it on is it really worth paying the price in terms of pension given up?

Put otherwise, would he really want the capital sum irrespective of whether he's looking at a pay-back time of 5 years, 10 years, or 20 years?

Anyway the thing he should certainly do is check whether his decision will affect the eventual widow's pension.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • sharpj
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    I can well understand the fancy for having a large capital sum available. But if he doesn't even know what he wants to spend it on is it really worth paying the price in terms of pension given up?

Put otherwise, would he really want the capital sum irrespective of whether he's looking at a pay-back time of 5 years, 10 years, or 20 years?

Anyway the thing he should certainly do is check whether his decision will affect the eventual widow's pension.

It’s only a pension difference a month of around £150 though based on gov.uk calculations, plus he has his state pension to come in between what would be around 11 years approx to recoup the lump sum difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure