Found open drain inside house

Hi. After having my cellar flood several times over 2 years (and neither the local council or the water board taking responsibility) I decided to pay for my cellar to be fully tanked out. As the builder was completing the work, they dug the floor to find an open drain in the middle of the cellar which looked to be taking in water from the street (and explains the flooding). It's an old clay drain (pre-war?) and I'm wondering who would be responsible for that drain, it's not covered in any of my deeds/searches etc when buying the property?

I'm just wondering if the council or water board is responsible for my cellar flooding and I'm due some compensation for the huuuge fee I've just paid to get it tanked.

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Cellars often have drains so they do not flood. or a sump hole so they can be pumped out. You would need to trace the drain, or get it surveyed to see where it goes. My guess is your home equals your drain equals your responsibility. But if the drain becomes a lateral, and that is blocked in the lateral part, you could be going after someone for this.

If someone has filled over the drain in the past I cannot see why the council or water board would take responsibility for this. Which is what you have found.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    As Furts says, it's possibly there to take water from your cellar away after it floods, which if true, suggests water ingress has been normal under your house for a long time.

I have known 3 cellars and all had internal drains because they all flooded to some extent in extreme weather. You've chosen to have yours tanked, which might be a solution to this minor problem, but it's clear you'll not get the rest of us to pay for that expensive choice via compo.

Compensation may be due when someone suffers a loss, not for actions taken after that loss, which were perhaps related, but incidental to it.

In other words, even if this drain is found to be shared, faulty and the water authority/council's responsibilty, the best you could hope for would be a repair and maybe an amount for items damaged in the flooding. No one is going to pay for the tanking you chose to do, which would be uneccessary in that particular scenario.

If it does turn out to be a storm drain, it will be important to ensure it stays clear. Your water authority or council will probably help in that respect, both in repair and ensuring it stays clear. They may even help you trace where it goes/comes from, but they won't pay you for work you chose to do on your house.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Over 500 people have viewed this thread...

OP isn't one of them. :huh:
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Over 500 people have viewed this thread...

OP isn't one of them. :huh:

Perhaps OP is too busy dealing with flooding to read the feedback? This is a risk, because to tank over a drain without investigating in detail is foolish in the extreme. There is a real risk of surcharge lifting the tanking, the floor failing and the cellar flooding. Of course it all depends what was done, and here it appears we will never know.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I remember having a flooded cellar years ago, never knew the reason but I was so grateful that the Council came out to deal with it and helped me by disposing of mountains of ruined fabric and etc. which I had stored there, it never occurred to me to ask for "compensation". How times change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure