Travel Agent Booked Wrong Flights

What are my rights? He booked us on Sunday flight instead of Tuesday (tomorrow) he says he can't do anything unless Im willing to pay aprox £300 change and upgrade fee for each ticket (we are 6 passengers).

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,043
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Chava wrote: »
    What are my rights? He booked us on Sunday flight instead of Tuesday (tomorrow) he says he can't do anything unless Im willing to pay aprox £300 change and upgrade fee for each ticket (we are 6 passengers).

OK, Firstly do you have anything at all written down showing the correct flights, an email or anything prior to the booking with your dates. When the agent booked were you sitting with him or was it by phone. If face to face did you see the screen at all, did he run through what he was booking and ask you to confirm. If by phone have you asked whether the call was recorded and if so have you asked that they play it back to show what you actually asked for?

Finally, and it's always worth asking, were you entirely clear, both for day and date as to what you wanted, can you be entirely sure that agent might have thought you were asking for flexible dates to get a price. It seems odd if agent misheard then booked the wrong flights and somehow you agreed with them. Also, when exactly did you book and were you given details then and only just noticed the error or was this a last minute booking and did you notice the moment it happened and report it at the time?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Chava
    Chava Posts: 6 Forumite
    I booked 2 seperate bookings in the same phonecall
    Myself and my children on Tuesday
    My husband on Sunday after
    and we are all flying back together
    instead he booked us seperately onto the SAME flight on Sunday
    He did the booking while I was on the phone with him, so it was clear and he understood what I needed and he made a human error and typed in 9th on my tickets instead of the 4th
    The problem is he sent me an email within 24hrs and I did not notice his error until yesterday when I went to print out the tickets :(((
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,043
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Chava wrote: »
    I booked 2 seperate bookings in the same phonecall
    Myself and my children on Tuesday
    My husband on Sunday after
    and we are all flying back together
    instead he booked us seperately onto the SAME flight on Sunday
    He did the booking while I was on the phone with him, so it was clear and he understood what I needed and he made a human error and typed in 9th on my tickets instead of the 4th
    The problem is he sent me an email within 24hrs and I did not notice his error until yesterday when I went to print out the tickets :(((

How long ago did you book and what has the agent said about the mistake and the possibility of listening to your taped conversation ?

I suspect the fact that you have received the booking and not questioned it previously might prove expensive.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You get it sorted OP ?
  • mknebel
    mknebel Posts: 3 Newbie
    I have a similar situation ish
    Last weekend me and 13 friends went to Portugal for a few days break/drunk hen party, we flew back on the sunday or so we thought, all correspondents from the travel agent said the sunday but the flight they had actually booked for us was 24 before on the Saturday. The travel agent has admitted that this was their mistake, they offered us a flight home later that night at 9pm for free, but as most of us have children we said we couldn't wait that long (14hours ish) so we booked our own flight as they said we would be reimbursed. we waiting 4 hours for this other flight that got us to Leeds (not our preferred Manchester as we just wanted to get home). The travel agent has now said they will pay for our flight home and give us £25 compensation.
    Does this sound correct? the petrol money from Leeds to Manchester alone was more that that.
    any advise would be most appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Michael.
    #AmysADirtyHen
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    mknebel wrote: »
    I have a similar situation ish
    Last weekend me and 13 friends went to Portugal for a few days break/drunk hen party, we flew back on the sunday or so we thought, all correspondents from the travel agent said the sunday but the flight they had actually booked for us was 24 before on the Saturday. The travel agent has admitted that this was their mistake, they offered us a flight home later that night at 9pm for free, but as most of us have children we said we couldn't wait that long (14hours ish) so we booked our own flight as they said we would be reimbursed. we waiting 4 hours for this other flight that got us to Leeds (not our preferred Manchester as we just wanted to get home). The travel agent has now said they will pay for our flight home and give us £25 compensation.
    Does this sound correct? the petrol money from Leeds to Manchester alone was more that that.
    any advise would be most appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Michael.
    #AmysADirtyHen
    They've corrected the flight issue then?

I'd estimate petrol between Leeds and Manchester one way to be less than a fiver. Taxis a lot more than £25.

How much are you actually out of pocket?
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    They've corrected the flight issue then?

I'd estimate petrol between Leeds and Manchester one way to be less than a fiver. Taxis a lot more than £25.

How much are you actually out of pocket?

Less than a fiver?
    Maybe on a Vespa with the wind behind you!

I hope estimation isn't part of your day job :D

45 miles, and the route usually had traffic, so unless you're doing mega MPG it's significantly more.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Less than a fiver?
    Maybe on a Vespa with the wind behind you!

I hope estimation isn't part of your day job :D

45 miles, and the route usually had traffic, so unless you're doing mega MPG it's significantly more.

Fair enough. Last time I did it was in the most fuel efficient beauty of a car.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,923
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    We need to take preventive measures while ensuring we check business details

Whats that ?
  • PeacefulWaters
    Westin wrote: »
    Whats that ?
    Spam, innit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income