Grants for home insulation - bargains!

Comments

• Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    1jim wrote:
    phoned n power before easter to get a survey and am still waiting for someone to call and give me a quote, has it taken this long for anyone else?
    I phoned the 19th March and had my survey done Tuesday this week -12th April
  • foxyuk
    foxyuk Posts: 966 Forumite
    like wise phoned before easter... no letter or nowt caklled them on sat they aid they will chase up the contractor

they only pass on the info they say
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i think i will chase them up too, am half wondering if its because a lot of people have contacted them about the offer and they dont want to pay lots of money out?
  • sugababesfan
    sugababesfan Posts: 15 Forumite
    I had to chase them up too -if they don't phone you back within the time span they tell you, chase them up! don't wait for them, it could take weeks!

I've just had my house insulated through NPower & the contractors (Active Energy) did a fantastic job. Hope my gas bills reduce significantly now...
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    have chased them up but still no reply, getting cheesed off now, steam from me could heat the house up lol
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

Most utility companies offer discounted or free insulation. Try calling your local energy efficiency advice centre on 0800 512012 as they will usually have a list.

Also alot of councils offer free heating if you qualify. The advice centre will also be aware of this.
  • pheonixp
    pheonixp Posts: 16 Forumite
    If you go to Warm Front, insulation is free (loft and wall) if on benefits , or £100 each if not.
    Also if on benefits a new boiler if yours dosent work. or else a 3yr guarantee against it breaking down.
    Check it out on the net, its government funded.
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    I have posted this elsewhere, but thought I had better put it on this thread, you can get free cavity wall insulation if you are over 60, we are with Age Concern Powergen and you do not have to be on benefits. You have to be a customer, however, we understand Scotpower are also offering free cavity wall insulation if you are over 60 and you do not have to be a customer.
  • Trix
    Trix Posts: 10,266 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I ha my cavity walls done for free a couple of years back and have just applied to have a new combi boiler, both for free, through WARMZONE.
    They are a Government grant scheme for cavity wall and loft insulation and heating improvements in England (links to Scotland, Wales and NI schemes can be found on the site). The list of where the 'Zones' are is at the top of the page.

The grant is said to be available up to £2,700 (£4,000 where oil-fired heating is used). When I asked if already having my cavity walls done would make my grant less I was told it wouldn't as it was a new claim in a new year so another £2,700 would be available for me :).

Getting my grant was based on me getting Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit but not on the Carers Allowance or Working Tax Credit my husband gets or on the DLA (both components at higher rate) my daughter gets which I thought odd :confused:
    I'm a little angel o:)BUT A WHOLE LOTTA DEVIL
    'Spend your life with eyes open, sleep only to dream of what to do next'
  • It appears there is some confusion as to the qualification for a WARM FRONT grant. I actually work as an assessor on the scheme to assess people’s eligibility for the grant so I will try to explain.
    The grant is for a number of different measures and is determined by the existing insulation and/or heating as to what you are entitled to.
    Our assessor will visit your home and make sure you qualify and also what you are entitled to.

It covers central heating for anyone who has not got a central heating system Central heating repairs (home owners only) Gas wall/room heaters Electric storage heaters Loft insulation Cavity wall insulation Draught proofing and Low energy light bulbs. This has altered just recently as only over 60,s were eligible for central heating before.

First of all the grant is only available to people who own their own property or privately rent it. At this moment in time people in social housing (council properties or housing associations) are not eligible for the grant.
    You then have to be in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits:-

Income support (must include disability premium)
    Child tax credit (with an income of less than £15,050)
    Family tax credit (with an income of less than £15,050 must include o disability premium)
    Disability Living Allowance
    Council tax benefit (must include disability premium)
    Attendance allowance
    Housing benefit (must include disability premium)
    War disablement pension (with constant attendance allowance)
    Industrial injuries disablement pension (with constant attendance allowance)

OR if you have a child under 16 or you are in receipt of one of the following:-
    Council tax benefit
    Income based job seekers allowance
    Income support
    Housing benefit
    If you are still unsure you can ring our freephone no. for more advice.

0800 316 8788 during office hours please.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure