Real-life MMD: Whose glitch is it anyway?

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    ronangel wrote: »
    Bet you would not if he offered to pay you half....:think:
    This is easy for you to say but what about people with very little money?
    anyway its not your problem its his they may ask him or take money when it shows up missing on their acounts, and it all depends if you want to keep him as a friend or have him help you again.

I would actually. I don't have much money but no matter how little I will always be honest. ;)

I wouldn't want to keep him as a friend if that meant going against my principles. They had the money to pay for the currency so could obviously afford it.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • ronangel
    ronangel Posts: 124 Forumite
    I would actually. I don't have much money but no matter how little I will always be honest. ;)

You are not being dishonest you paid him the money. what happened to it after that is not your concern. he did not have to tell you and can make up his own mind what to do. only time will tell if he has to pay it back, and did nothing dishonest or with any sort of intent to defraud. I see it as a long or short term interest free loan from the company, not a person which would be a different matter and mistake should be pointed out. The persons job would not be at risk if they were competent as they could trace back where the mistake was made without personal loss, as this was a banking not cash transaction, and reclaim the money.
    The richard montgomery matter

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    ronangel wrote: »
    You are not being dishonest you paid him the money. what happened to it after that is not your concern. he did not have to tell you and can make up his own mind what to do. only time will tell if he has to pay it back, and did nothing dishonest or with any sort of intent to defraud. I see it as a long or short term interest free loan from the company, not a person which would be a different matter and mistake should be pointed out. The persons job would not be at risk if they were competent as they could trace back where the mistake was made without personal loss, as this was a banking not cash transaction, and reclaim the money.

You said that my opinion would be different were I to be offered half and that would be dishonest.

I agree that what the friend does is up to him but the OP seems to think they are entitled to some of it
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • rojanich
    rojanich Posts: 31 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Ambro wrote: »
    Wow, I really can't believe the responses in this thread. In order to answer the actual question (what should the OP do): Nothing

Here is the situation:
    You purchased £200 worth of Euro's from your friend at cost price (no admin fee etc)
    They provided the £200 worth of Euro's
    Your transaction is finished, you have what you paid for at the price you agreed on beneficial terms to yourself.

My opinion: Be glad for what you got and don't go causing trouble behind your friends back when they were doing you a favour. You seem like a greedy individual even asking the question.

As to the situation regarding the friend (not actually asked):
    Your friend purchased £200 worth of Euros from the BDC
    The BDC provided the agreed sum of Euros but have not as yet demanded the cash (apparently in error)
    Your friend now has a moral (and possibly legal) obligation to make the BDC aware of the error and pay the funds

My opinion: Whilst I feel they should contact the BDC I would expect the majority of people to keep hush about the money and hope it is not reclaimed. Whilst I would be disappointed if someone did this I would neither be surprised or find it outrageous. Certainly not worthy of ending a friendship over, especially a friend who is willing to help you out with no strings attached when you need it.
    As the title says - spot on answer. I also bet your friend now wishes he hadn't told you. It really is his moral dilema and if you now 'grass him up' after already asking for the money back from him you're not much of a friend to him and also on dodgy moral ground.
  • As someone who works dealing with currency, given this could mean someone loosing their job/or replacing it from their wages (for a possible genuine mistake) personally I think you should tell him to own up, would he appreciate the bank just taking £400 out because the transaction went through twice?! No, so why keep it?

In terms of your money it really isn't yours as you should have currency in its place and if he never mentioned it in the first place, it would never have been something you would be dealing with.
    I would suggest you either grass him in if it would make you feel better (which given you've asked peoples opinions it probably would do) or get over it!
  • tichtich
    tichtich Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 October 2012 at 12:14PM
    Inverness wrote: »
    Keeping the bureau's money, mistakenly left in the friend's account, is a criminal offence under the Theft Act 1968.
    Are you sure? I'm no lawyer, but I would find it surprising if we have a legal obligation to remind a payee to collect payment.

BTW I was once in the position of being sent two cheques for the same amount I was supposed to receive (from a government body). It was a large amount (nearly £10,000) and I was sorely tempted to pay both cheques into my account. But in the end I sent one back. I'm not sure whether it was moral considerations or fear of the law that played the larger part in my decision. I don't even know whether I would have been committing any crime. Is it an offence to accept money that you've been sent in error? Anyway, I was a bit miffed that I didn't even receive a "thank you" in reply!

P.S. Forgot to mention I had another such case recently, when I moved into a flat where the electricity meter had never been registered, so electricity was not being billed for. If I'd done nothing about it I'd probably still be getting free electricity. I decided to do the honest thing, but you can't believe how much effort it was to get someone to start billing me!

P.P.S. On re-reading my first paragraph, I'm having second thoughts. It seems plausible that, if you've entered into a transaction, you have a legal obligation to make sure your side of the transaction (your payment in this case) is completed. Still, I would think that failure to do so would be a breach of contract, and not theft. But I'm not a lawyer, so what do I know?
  • I was given an extra £100 by the girl in my bank, the one I use every week, which I took back the following week. She was so delighted and thankful because, as she explained, everything she had done since had been scrutinised and a black mark had been lodged against her trustworthyness. It was only(!) £100 to me but it meant so much more to her and yes - I did feel good.
  • ronangel
    ronangel Posts: 124 Forumite
    lolodawn3 wrote: »
    I was given an extra £100 by the girl in my bank, the one I use every week, which I took back the following week. She was so delighted and thankful because, as she explained, everything she had done since had been scrutinised and a black mark had been lodged against her trustworthyness. It was only(!) £100 to me but it meant so much more to her and yes - I did feel good.

Completely different situation and 100% correct thing to do as personal contact.
    The richard montgomery matter

• StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    The clear line between thrift and theft is seemingly unknown on this site, and it is intentionally blurred by those that should know better.

Morals and moneysaving it seems are mutually exclusive.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • pjfromuk
    pjfromuk Posts: 132 Forumite
    No wonder our society is going down the drain! The money is not theirs to argue about and keeping it is a criminal offence!

Such a sad indictment that so many in the forum think it is OK to keep it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure