Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up Tim.

Perhaps you can help. We've had Dunlopillo beds for 40 years and loved them. Never had any problems. I think I remember you mentioning that another company now own Dunlopillo and the quality has changed.

We'd like to buy a divan bed as near as possible to our present Dunlopillo - Firmrest on slatted pine base. It really must be able to have an electric blanket. I feel the cold so much that flanellette sheets are on all year round and the bed pre-warmed all year round (on low) to take chill off when you get in. I cannot sleep in a cold bed at all and even take a fleecy underblanket when I go on holiday! I'm fine if I get into a warm bed.

Don't like "bouncy" beds where you can feel the mattress move when you turn over (even when only one is in the bed).

Any thoughts?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    TomsMom wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up Tim.

Perhaps you can help. We've had Dunlopillo beds for 40 years and loved them. Never had any problems. I think I remember you mentioning that another company now own Dunlopillo and the quality has changed.

We'd like to buy a divan bed as near as possible to our present Dunlopillo - Firmrest on slatted pine base. It really must be able to have an electric blanket. I feel the cold so much that flanellette sheets are on all year round and the bed pre-warmed all year round (on low) to take chill off when you get in. I cannot sleep in a cold bed at all and even take a fleecy underblanket when I go on holiday! I'm fine if I get into a warm bed.

Don't like "bouncy" beds where you can feel the mattress move when you turn over (even when only one is in the bed).

Any thoughts?

It was actually a couple of other MSE members who said that Dunlopillo's quality has dropped since they were taken over by Slumberland.

I don't know if you have ever actually held latex foam, but it has a very cool, almost wet feel, and would probably make you bed feel colder when you first get into it. However memory faom actually has a warmer feel than a normal mattress. Try going to a bed store and feeling the two different types, although check first to see if they have overhead heating that reflects heat down on to the mattress.

Once you have done this get back to me, as we will then have a starting point.
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    Try going to a bed store and feeling the two different types, although check first to see if they have overhead heating that reflects heat down on to the mattress.

Once you have done this get back to me, as we will then have a starting point.

We actually have a memory foam/pocket sprung divan in the spare room which OH uses when he's not well (which at the moment is frequently as he is half way through a long course of chemo). He absolutely loves this bed. I have lain on it (and found it to be very comfortable) but not slept in it but still need the warmth of an electric blanket. Gosh, I'm so awkward :rotfl:
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    TomsMom wrote: »
    We actually have a memory foam/pocket sprung divan in the spare room which OH uses when he's not well (which at the moment is frequently as he is half way through a long course of chemo). He absolutely loves this bed. I have lain on it (and found it to be very comfortable) but not slept in it but still need the warmth of an electric blanket. Gosh, I'm so awkward :rotfl:

In that case I'd say go for either pocket sprung only, or another latex mattress.
  • chsw2
    Options
    I am looking at a few different double mattresses at the moment and would like some advice on the quality of the manufacturers.

• Staples Premier 1200 Mattress
    • Millbrook Romance 1400 Mattress
    • Millbrook Devotion 2000 Mattress

The bed has a slatted frame with a 1.5 inch gap between slats so may need to use pin board
  • LostSocks
    LostSocks Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    How long should it take to get used to a new mattress? We bought a memory foam mattress and we have been using it for 11 nights now. My hubby loves it but I have had backache every day since using the mattress. I thought I should be used to it by now.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    LostSocks wrote: »
    How long should it take to get used to a new mattress? We bought a memory foam mattress and we have been using it for 11 nights now. My hubby loves it but I have had backache every day since using the mattress. I thought I should be used to it by now.

Memory foam actually takes up to a month to soften properly, but you should notice the biggest change ofter the first week.

It is quite common when people change to a mattress which gives them far more support than their old one to actually experience back aches as they get used to the extra support. If the old mattress was worn out, or didn't give much support then the muscles in your back would gradually get used to this, and would compensate for the mattress. So when you suddenly change to a new mattress that gives far superior support, it can take a while for your back to realise that it doesn't have to compensate. The aches will usually go after a few weeks.

Does the mattress have a satisfaction guarantee?
  • andyandmel
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for posting advice on here. Its been really useful.

We are after a King Size pocket sprung mattress of medium firmness for around £300. Does anyone have any thoughts on these:

http://www.mynextmattress.co.uk/dynamic/viewitem.php?item=KS00007

http://www.mattressman.co.uk/hypnos/mattresses/mattresses/king_size/P5610S29796/evesham.aspx

http://www.bedstar.co.uk/shop/customer/product.php?productid=34418&cat=2373&page=1

Do people think they would be good value for money? I can't tell whether the first one is the "good" kozeesleep or the "bad" kozeesleep. Does anyone know?
  • LostSocks
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    Memory foam actually takes up to a month to soften properly, but you should notice the biggest change ofter the first week.

Does the mattress have a satisfaction guarantee?

The mattress does have a satisfaction guarantee which is a 14 night one, which will be Tuesday as we received a damaged one (courier damaged it) and then received one the next day but had to wait till the day after to put in on the bed.

So now you have said it's takes longer than that to get used to it, I'm not sure what to do. Our old bed was a coil one and was originally very firm, but was at the end of it's life (10 years!) and was slightly softer, but still firm. This new mattress was described as medium, but to me I would say it's soft. I tend to sleep on my side and I'm finding the hip I sleep on is really aching on waking up.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to make a decision tomorrow. If by a miracle i wake up tomorrow with no backache, then it will be staying.
  • dog_food
    Options
    I've been following this thread for a long time! Thank you to everyone, especially Tim, for the valuable information here.

I am sick of my dreadful ikea matress and I a looking for the most comfortable bed possible for my buget (upto £500-king size). These are my questions:

1. I get hot in bed so I will steer clear of all memory foam, but should I go for the pocket spring/memory foam option? Or would you advise me to steer clear of any matress with memory foam? I don't want to make a dreadful mistake in my choice!

2. I currently have a cheap slatted bed, would a sprung divan offer added comfort or is it really not that different?

3. If a sprung divan does make alot of difference, how much would you suggest I need to spend to get a divan and mattress of reasonable quality...I don't want to end up in the same position I am now with this uncomfortable ikea mattress.

Thanks for your help

James
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family