Halifax Saver Prize Draw - anyone won yet?

I had deposited some money in an ISA account with Halifax, that made me eligible for the Halifax Saver Prize Draw. That was more than 3 years ago and till date, I have not won a single prize! That makes me wonder if the Halifax Saver Prize Draw is all a farce.

In comparison, I win a £25 prize at least once a year (and sometimes more) with the NS&I Premium Bonds. This is in spite of having a higher amount invested in Halifax, as compared to NS&I.

Has anyone on the forum actually won anything with the Halifax Saver Prize Draw?

Comments

• Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You could simply look at their winners page: https://www.saversregistration.co.uk/welcome/Winners/National
  • the_mandarin
    the_mandarin Posts: 108 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Zanderman wrote: »
    You could simply look at their winners page: https://www.saversregistration.co.uk/welcome/Winners/National

I have, but these are just numbers. I am yet to hear from a single person who has won anything here. Most of my friends/colleagues have Halifax accounts and have registered for this, but none have won anything.

On the page you have mentioned, there is a link to "claim" a prize. Not sure if that means you get notified by emai/post of winning a prize and then need to raise a claim. But then again, there does not seem to be any means of checking if you have won on their website :(
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have never won anything big through any Prize Draw.

I suspect I need to advertise:

"Will share Prize Money with corrupt Prize Draw Invigilators. Must have own Swiss bank account."

Bonnie Langford did pick my card, and I won a Lyons coffee bag branded coffee mug. I used it in all my office jobs for coffee, but never bought any Lyons coffee bags, except the free ones that came in the package. :D
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    I have, but these are just numbers. I am yet to hear from a single person who has won anything here. Most of my friends/colleagues have Halifax accounts and have registered for this, but none have won anything.

On the page you have mentioned, there is a link to "claim" a prize. Not sure if that means you get notified by emai/post of winning a prize and then need to raise a claim. But then again, there does not seem to be any means of checking if you have won on their website :(

If I recall correctly they write to you if you have won. Indeed it says so quite clearly in their faqs:
    How do I find out if I've won?
    Within one month of the date of each monthly draw we will write to potential winners who have been selected and checked against our records, using the last known postal address that we have on our records. We may also try to contact potential winners by other means, such as telephone or e mail, where we have these details.

The 'Claim' tab on their website requires, as you'll have seen if you've looked at it, the claim code from your letter. So if you aint had a letter you aint won anything.

I can't really see why you're worrying that you don't know anyone who's won a prize, or why you compare it to premium bonds. The vast majority of people entered won't win, and the stats of, and your experience of, premium bonds will probably be very different. Halifax won't give you stats on likelihood of winning, so you simply can't tell at all whether odds are comparable to bonds.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That makes me wonder if the Halifax Saver Prize Draw is all a farce.

Its bound to be a farce. I mean what has a major high street bank to lose by pretending to offer a prize draw when they don't really ever pay out :wall:
    In comparison, I win a £25 prize at least once a year (and sometimes more) with the NS&I Premium Bonds. This is in spite of having a higher amount invested in Halifax, as compared to NS&I.

The Halifax pays out prizes as a far cheaper way of attracting the gullible to save with it rather than paying more competitive interest rates. Premium Bonds pay out prizes in lieu of interest. They are not comparable.
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 648 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

I heard on the grapevine that old Beryl at number 44 won a few quid.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    I had deposited some money in an ISA account with Halifax, that made me eligible for the Halifax Saver Prize Draw. That was more than 3 years ago and till date, I have not won a single prize! That makes me wonder if the Halifax Saver Prize Draw is all a farce.

Has anyone on the forum actually won anything with the Halifax Saver Prize Draw?
    In terms of the huge variance in scale, Halifax pays 1,603 prizes per month while Premium Bonds pay 2,329,721, so for every Halifax prizewinner there are nearly 1,500 premium bond prizewinners....
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    A friend got the word she had won and could she come in branch and bring ID. We thought it was a BIG win as we went down there,sat in a side office whilst computers were tapped, documents shuffled and checked and then they confirmed she had won a trifling amount and paid her out,,gutted,
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    There are better homes for your £5,000+ to be saved.

A couple of years back I calculated the average payout to be worth around 0.03% if you held the minimum qualifying balance. It's probably less than that now if they have more registered customers.
  • phred
    phred Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I won £100 a few years ago.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills