On-grid domestic battery storage

Comments

• Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    A couple of thoughts.

1. I respect Mart's calculations. I've never known him to get it wrong. So don't believe him when he says they are only his opinion. He's good

2. Standing charges are not relevant to these calculations. They will be paid regardless of any other decision made. So ignore them for your calculations.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Thank you, yes Marts opinion was one that helped me get Pv in the 1st place!

Mart panels installed 26th Sept so import/export starts after Sept 2016

Have just in house one year.

Ian
    6.72kw Pv Ja Solar 280w * 24 panels, Solar Edge inverter, South facing no shading.
    South Lake District, delightful view of Morecambe Bay. Not Saving up for a battery too expensive:j:mad::hello:

July Solar target 769kw
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Mart thank you my efforts are below, struggling with format.....

Hiya RLM, for a persistent waffler like me, the formatting on here is a right pain.

If I'm reading your info right, the cross over point for export v's import seems to be around October/November with rising import v's falling export.

I can't see export figures for the summer, but I assume they are very high, and it looks like import is a relatively consistent 9kWhs/day?

Winter looks like a low export of 4/day in Dec but rising fast in Jan (and Nov) so perhaps better to use their low of 7/10, not the 4.

So, my gut feeling, and ignoring all battery losses at this stage, is that on most days, on average, you have 7kWhs+ of export, and an import of 9kWhs+.

So there's the logical smallest USEABLE battery capacity, but since you rapidly meet and exceed the 9kWh mark then the sensible useable battery size is actually 9kWh+.

Simply for comparison, not a suggestion, the PWII has a capacity of about 15kWh, and useable of about 13.5kWh. I assume that avoiding the top and bottom of that range would reduce any loss of capacity over time, and since we are dealing with averages, not actual individual days, then a larger batt will cope with better generation days, and also provide for bad gen days, or a number of days.

So my gut feeling is that you'd want something of that size. What do you think?

Savings wise, and I'm going to oversimplify this, but if we say average out the Nov/Dec/Jan months to about 7kWh's, let say 6, just to be safe, and the rest of the year to 9kWh's, then you might expect (hope) to reduce import by:-
    (92 x 6kWhs) + (273 x 9kWhs) = 3,009kWhs

3,000 x 16p = £480pa.

But, as ET points out, is that a NSC tariff, or have you just calculated it in?

If for example the price is say 13p + SC, then savings are £390pa.

The UK PWII site suggests a starting price of £6,700. I assume the 'permitting costs' referred to are just a standard line as it appears in all country quotes, I don't think there are any in the UK.

So it would take you around 14-17yrs to repay, assuming we ignore interest.

I hope this all makes sense, but there is a lot of guesswork and assumptions thrown in, which is another good reason to carrying on waiting.

I also think we shouldn't waste an opportunity that already exists, and this is that Germany and Australia are rolling out lots of storage systems, and I suspect wealthier mainland US households will be doing this too. So we can sit back this decade and see how the systems hold up, what their performance is, how rules change (Australia may require Li-Ion systems to be installed outside) etc etc etc.

Any help?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Lots of help Mart and a BIG thank you for taking time to look at this.

No export figures for summer as Pv only installed in September. The 16p electric cost includes standing charge (NSC tariff). Gone through your maths lots of times and I think I agree. I think now because I don't actually spend huge amounts on electricity the opportunity to use the remaining spend has gone for now. Certainly payback of 14yrs doesn't feel palatable (will it last that long?)

Opportunities I can see is efforts to reduce import (fancy light bulbs, remove standbye, washing when sun shines etc) or maybe ASHP to heat or air conditioning.

Electric vehicle maybe an option also for second car.
    6.72kw Pv Ja Solar 280w * 24 panels, Solar Edge inverter, South facing no shading.
    South Lake District, delightful view of Morecambe Bay. Not Saving up for a battery too expensive:j:mad::hello:

July Solar target 769kw
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ... The 16p electric cost includes standing charge (NSC tariff). Gone through your maths lots of times and I think I agree. I think now because I don't actually spend huge amounts on electricity the opportunity to use the remaining spend has gone for now.

Opportunities I can see is efforts to reduce import (fancy light bulbs, remove standbye, washing when sun shines etc) or maybe ASHP to heat or air conditioning.

Electric vehicle maybe an option also for second car.

With the amount of electricity it appears that you are still importing, would have thought you would have been better off on a tariff with a standing charge. 16p a kWh is very high for your level of consumption.

Certainly would advise looking at getting an ASHP like Z, Mart & we have.
  • Martyn1981
    Lots of help Mart and a BIG thank you for taking time to look at this.

No export figures for summer as Pv only installed in September. The 16p electric cost includes standing charge (NSC tariff). Gone through your maths lots of times and I think I agree. I think now because I don't actually spend huge amounts on electricity the opportunity to use the remaining spend has gone for now. Certainly payback of 14yrs doesn't feel palatable (will it last that long?)

My pleasure. The other method for assessing viability is to work out the unit cost of storage, and compare that to your import price, so ...

PWII at around £6.7k divided by 5,000 cycles at 13.5kWh = 10p/kWh. So that looks good against your import rate (assuming no loss of export rate).

But, as you don't look like you can use it to the max each year (approx 5,000kWhs, v's your displaced 3,000kWh's) then it will take you longer to get your money back, and we have to consider the life expectancy of the battery, outside of warranty, which may be absolutely fine, but personally I'd like more years and data, and to be blunt, a longer warranty.

Sorry about the summer months, of course you don't have the figures, doh! But this could be a problem. I suspect your large system will smash the import. Great news for your bill, but less summer import, means less leccy bill that the battery can displace, so less value for money from the batt.

It looks to me like you are in a far better position than most to make use of a big batt, and big batts are better value for money at the moment, but the numbers are still nowhere near stacking up yet.

I think it all looks good for the future, but sadly we'll have to be a bit more patient. Perhaps an EV will boost the economics of batteries, but again we need to be careful if the batt is discharging at night when the house has an E7 tariff.

This is why I'm a little concerned about the calculations, I can do the A + B = C stuff, I just don't know what the right calculation is yet, there seem to be multiple factors and issues coming from all directions, and varying by PV set up and household demand use too. Paracetamol anyone?

Lastly, and very important, I don't see any reason why the UK couldn't set up a company like the Australian one, that links domestic batt owners and negotiates the sale of leccy during peak times, at peak prices. So for instance, if you are using 1kW and the batt is discharging 1kW, it may be asked to discharge 2kW, and supply grid support of 1kW. If spot prices are into the £'00's per MWh, then the households might get 10p, 20p, 30p/kWh for their leccy. This could alter the economics massively. Early days, but lots of promise.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    This article on storage in the Western Power and Distribution (DNO) region, might be better placed on the green energy news thread, but I think it's ok here due to this bit on domestic storage:-

Wave 1 (up to 2020) - Led by response services
    Domestic and community scale early adopters.

Wave 2 (early 2020’s) - Co-location business models become viable
    The domestic and community storage market expands.

Wave 3 (mid/late 2020’s) – Market expansion and new business models
    Domestic electricity storage becomes common

WPD investigates the future of storage following ‘unprecedented’ applications
    Western Power Distribution (WPD) has launched a consultation seeking views on the potential growth of energy storage on its distribution network after receiving an ‘unprecedented’ 8GW of applications in the last 18 months.
    According to the consultation, WPD has already accepted 1.13GW of battery storage capacity as of 3 May 2017, with a further 1.1GW offered to existing applications. These projects mark a significant increase on the 2.85MW from an existing project and one that WPD is now preparing to accommodate.

Significant increase ....... it's 1,000 times more! :shocked:

• Martyn1981
    Just some info on battery factory build outs. Loads happening, and no Tesla is not top of the list for 2020 (predictions). So we should see a lot happening to prices, availability, choice etc etc.

So everyone just has to be patient, like me ....... ;-)

Germany to host two more battery factories

Renewable Energy Is Unstoppable, Declares Financial Times

• Martyn1981
    Sonnen, Senec and LG Chem dominate growing PV storage market in Europe
    On Monday, the German Solar Industry Association (BSW-Solar) also published its current “storage price monitor”. According to this, the costs for storage systems up to a nominal capacity of 10 KWh have decreased by about 40 percent over the past four years. For larger battery systems up 30 KWh the prices have even halved within the same period.

“Due once again to the drop in prices, solar energy storage is becoming increasingly attractive. Accordingly, the demand for solar power storage will continue to rise,” explains Carsten Körnig, CEO of BSW-Solar.

For example in 2016 about 20,000 new installations were added, totaling 60,000 PV storage systems in operation in Germany. The PV storage market in the country is expected to continue to grow and to reach 30,000 new installations for the year 2017, as EuPD Research says.

Also big news on large scale storage in the US, which may have a trickle down influence on future storage costs.

Some time back a PV + storage contract was issued at 14c/kWh, then Tesla stepped in with an 11c/kWh contract in Hawaii. Now Tucson has beaten that by an ickle bit, with a 4.5c/kWh contract (3c/kWh for the PV leccy).

Updated: Tucson Electric signs solar + storage PPA for 'less than 4.5¢/kWh'

If this comes about, and at that price, then that's an absolute killer. No two ways about it, that will re-write the rule book in the US.

• Martyn1981
    News from Powervault:

Renault and Powervault team up to turn EV batteries into home storage
    Renault has teamed up with UK energy storage firm Powervault to reuse batteries from its electric vehicles in home energy storage products.

The move will see the cost of a lithium battery-based Powervault home storage unit drop by 30 per cent to around £3,000 fully installed, which it says will help bring energy storage to the "tipping point" of mass market rollout.

The prices I got back in November, with estimated shipping and installation costs came to approx £3,900 for a 4kWh system. Though of course this offering is for second use car batts.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback