Marking Exam Papers

Hi All,

I'm sure I read on here at some point about there being work available marking exam papers and as exams are just around the corner I thought I would see if anyone knew anything about it - so any ideas on who I would contact and what qualifications you would need.

I'm looking for a bit of work that I can do in my own time.

Thanks.

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    smayers wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm sure I read on here at some point about there being work available marking exam papers and as exams are just around the corner I thought I would see if anyone knew anything about it - so any ideas on who I would contact and what qualifications you would need.

Thanks.

I think that you're too late for this year but someone may know better. It's pretty soul destroying and you certainly won't get rich at it!
  • Vaza
    Vaza Posts: 36 Forumite
    Exams are here, my little brother is doing his maths GCSE tommorow...
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Your best bet is to contact the exam boards (most of them have websites), see if they need examiners in your subject for the next session. They will also be able to advise you of the specific experience/qualifications they require.
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • smayers
    smayers Posts: 52 Forumite
    Thank-you - i'll look into the exam boards.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    smayers wrote: »
    There's also a limit to how much you can consider it 'your own time' - there will be a host of marking meetings to attend beforehand, and very tight deadlines to meet!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    You usually need to have taught the subject as recently as two years ago, unless times have changed from when my husband did it.

That's if you're talking about GCSE/A level marking.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • knithappens
    knithappens Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    You may be able to apply now for november resits and also January exams , they usually recruit months in advance of the exams.
  • Does anyone know how to become a SATS marker? Do you have to be a serving teacher? Can supply teachers do it?
  • Don't bother. You will earn more per hour stacking shelves at the local supermarket.

A lot of the highly public problems with exam boards recently are because they do not pay enough to attract good people to marking.
  • Bismarck
    Bismarck Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    that's scary....I thought it would be a fair earner.
    For what I've done...I start again...And whatever pain may come ...Today this ends... I'm forgiving what I've done -AF since June 2007
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure