Fence quote

Hello,

I got quoted for a new garden fence, which is roughly 18m long I think. All my current posts will be used and I am also getting a gate fitted as well.

Not sure what type of fence you call it, but it's not a panel. It has rails and slats. He will be using pressure treated timber.

I've been quoted £485 and it will be completed in 1 day.

Is that reasonable?

Cheers

Comments

• I just came on here to look - I was quoted £795 for 18 metres of chain link fence, 5 feet high - I do need the posts....seems hugely expensive to me
  • So that is what 9 panels and a gate? That will cost £200 or a bit more. So just under £300 for labour. 2 blokes. 1 day. As long as they do a good job. Fair enough.
  • Thanks for replies

I've since had another quote for the same work, except this time the company said renewing the posts was a bad idea as they'll probably be rotten.

For all the works he has quoted me £980, which is 18mtr fence including posts and then a gate, which he said was £100. So £880 for the fence work and then plus £100 for the gate.

Not sure what to believe now.

Any advice?
  • Sorry, do you mean the second quote included replacing the posts? And the first one didn't?

This is me as a DIYer talking, not a pro, so I defer to any comments they make. If it were me having a fence done, I would look at the posts currently there. Look at the base of the posts. Is there any rot around the bottom? I would also push on the posts (quite hard) to see if there is any movement. If there is no rot visible and the posts are solid and don't move, I would not replace the posts.

£980 doesn't seem unreasonable including posts as it will then probably become a 2 day job plus the extra materials.

Whichever you decide, get the other to quote for the same thing. E.g. Go back to #1 and ask for a price including posts.
  • Sorry, yes the second quote included all new posts whereas the first one was simply using the existing posts. I accidentally wrote renewing instead of reusing.

The second quote said the posts would be rotten whereas the first guy said they were fine. The first guy is a trusted trader on my councils website so I imagine he's a reasonable guy with a good reputation. It's thrown me as they both have such conflicting opinions.

I'll get the first guy to requote for posts as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure