Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Comments

• symphony63
    symphony63 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    And not wait for the outcome of appeal? Could save a lot of hassle if appeal not granted.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    No hassle - easy application and Ryanair will find another excuse not to pay but if not you will get your court fee back + possible interest etc.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Hi

Any one have any thoughts if it worth the hassle?

We were delayed back in 2011 by around 5 hours, the plane had a technical fault. It was a flight to Malta from Luton and ticks all the boxes. Should be €800 compensation for the two of us.

I did write, and didn't get a reply, but given the recent cases I'm pondering if its worth re-opening it again. Going to court via Ireland seems a lot of paperwork for an unclear outcome..

I understand there is an appeal pending, and on the one hand I don't want to let RA "get away with it" but on the other hand as its three years ago and is it worth any potential future hassle RA may give us for flights?

Any thoughts?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    gjchester wrote: »
    Hi

We were delayed back in 2011 by around 5 hours, the plane had a technical fault. It was a flight to Malta from Luton and ticks all the boxes. Should be €800 compensation for the two of us.

I did write, and didn't get a reply, but given the recent cases I'm pondering if its worth re-opening it again. Going to court via Ireland seems a lot of paperwork for an unclear outcome..

I understand there is an appeal pending, and on the one hand I don't want to let RA "get away with it" but on the other hand as its three years ago and is it worth any potential future hassle RA may give us for flights?

Any thoughts?

Doesn't sound like you're that fussed to be honest.

Doubt you'd have hassle off Ryanair just because you claimed something that was legally yours.

Maybe hand over the claim to a reputable NWNF firm like Botts, who'll do all the work for about 30% of the claim?
  • Dr_Watson
    Dr_Watson Posts: 451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    gjchester wrote: »
    Hi

Any thoughts?

gjchester,
    As Vauban rightly states in the post above mine, maybe hand over to a no win no fee company if you aren't too bothered about pursuing this yourself.
    Or if you fancy having a go yourself see my post #569 for detail how to sue Ryanair safely and by not using the Irish courts.

The outcome of Ryanair's appeal against the combined Allen case will be known soon enough which relates to tech faults. Whichever way this goes don't let it put you off.

Their appeal regarding two year limitation is heard at the end of the week....but depending on the time of your booking for a flight taken back in 2011, their T's And C's might not have even had this clause included.

As for any future 'hassle' if you want to fly with them again when you have successfully sued them....well they haven't stopped me....or any of the others i've helped claim their rightful dues....and they don't like me.

You're right- don't let them get away with it.
    Good luck and keep going
    Successfully sued Ryanair in 2013/14...and have been 'helping' litigants since then.

Current known score:-
    Dr Watson 35 - 0 Ryanair / Ince and Co

Go to post 622 on the Ryanair thread to read how to sue them safely.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Vauban wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like you're that fussed to be honest.

I'm not other than knowing RA would not hesitate to take advantage of me so why should I let them off easily... Its not like I'm out of pocket I just got to spend an extra 6 hours at the airport... So if it gets completely rejected I'm no worse off in the grand scheme of things....
    Vauban wrote: »
    Maybe hand over the claim to a reputable NWNF firm like Botts, who'll do all the work for about 30% of the claim?

Thanks, Will go do that, even if they take 30% they get the hassle, and for that they can have the 200 or so Euros... At least I know Botts is reasonably reliable. Again Thanks
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    As some of you know there is an important Ryanair case on appeal being heard tomorrow at 10:30 Manchester County Court.

The appeal concerns the cases Goel and Baweja v Ryanair Limited and Trivedi and Others v Ryanair Limited.

The appeal concentrates on Ryanairs use of the word damages in their T & C's. The actual wording is ""Any right to Damages shall be extinguished if an action is not brought within two years..."

The argument is that the regulations relate to compensation and of a fixed amount, they do not relate to general damages of a variable amount, such as a 'whiplash' injury in a car crash, where each case is judged on it's own merits, and in any event, the Dawson case firmly stated that the limitation period in England is six years and not two.

It's an important case and although not directly relevant to Jet2 customers, I'm sure the outcome will certainly be of interest?

So I guess we need someone there to observe proceedings and bring the highlights and lowlights back to the forum....

I can confirm that MSE's very own roving reporter NoviceAngel will be in attendance.

I'm not sure if Botts are bringing all the team, but no doubt I'll get a chance to catch up with them all and bring a few stories back, I'll certainly be mentioning the Jet2 case with fight2survive earlier this week...

So better get my bags packed and off I go.....

I'll endeavour to keep this thread up to date as the case unfolds.

Cheers,

NoviceAngel
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Safe travels - do keep us updated.

I'm trusting myself to Emirates tomorrow as I head back to work :(
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Good morning everyone, it's a good start to the day, nice and sunny here in Manchester, I've made it to the Courts, and having a sausage sandwich and a coffee over the road....

I'm a little early tbh, I expected an EC on the way, but nothing came of it, so here I am.

I'm expecting this to be a full day and I'm not sure if we'll get an immediate judgement, fingers crossed.

I'll give an update as the day progresses, probably over lunch break, then I'll update properly when I get home, with my thoughts of the day.

This is NoviceAngel
    In Manchester
    Reporting for MSE flight delay forum
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Dr_Watson
    Dr_Watson Posts: 451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

This is NoviceAngel
    In Manchester
    Reporting for MSE flight delay forum

You really are wasted in the day job novice....time for a career change me thinks..
    Successfully sued Ryanair in 2013/14...and have been 'helping' litigants since then.

Current known score:-
    Dr Watson 35 - 0 Ryanair / Ince and Co

Go to post 622 on the Ryanair thread to read how to sue them safely.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback