Smoke Alarm, Fire advice and MORE

12345679»

Comments

• Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    http://www.firescotland.gov.uk/your-safety/for-householders/home-fire-safety-visit.aspx
    Contact your local fire station to arrange a free fire safety visit, I filled in the form online but didn't hear anything after a few weeks so rang my local station after finding the Tel No via the link & they came out that evening. 2 lovely firemen came out & gave us some helpful advice & answered questions, they were great with my daughter making sure she knew what to do if there was a fire & they fitted 2 smoke alarms.
    Even if you think you know it all a reminder is always helpful. This is for Scotland, I don't know if a similar service is available in other parts of the UK.
    Booo!!!
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/hfsc

Free Home Fire Safety Check

Home Fire Risk Assessments or a Home Fire Safety Check can sound daunting to many people, especially the elderly. However, this page will explain what they entail and how you can go about having one carried out.

A Home Fire Risk Assessment is where members of your local Fire and Rescue Service will visit your home, at a time convenient to yourself, and carry out an inspection of your home. The visit may be carried out by firefighters who are operational, so don’t be surprised if a fire engine arrives at your home, or a dedicated team from the local Fire and Rescue Service. You do however need to be aware that a fire appliance can be called away at a moment’s notice as it is still part of operational resources within your area. They will of course call back, or arrange another date if needed.

As mentioned above, the Home Fire Risk Asessment visits are carried out by operational crews, they are completely free and you may be eligible for free smoke alarms to be fitted were required. You will not be sold anything.

The visits focus on three key areas:

Identify and be aware of the potential fire risks within your home.
    Know what to do in order to reduce or prevent these risks.
    Put together an escape plan in case a fire does break out and ensure you have working smoke alarms.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bisto44
    bisto44 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think they also make a note if anyone in the house has problems getting out in case of fire (ie bed bound in my Dads case). I assume its so the crew are pre warned of the problem and would include those with sight and hearing problems. A possible life saving bonus to just having alarms fitted.
  • redagila
    redagila Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 January 2015 at 11:49PM
    We recently took advantage of this service.

As my DH is very deaf, we were supplied with a special smoke alarm that is linked to a vibrating pad which goes under the pillow as well as another monitor. We were also advised to keep a mobile phone in the bedroom , as the landline is likely to be useless if there is a fire.

This service is really worthwhile for anyone - you never know how you will react if you have a fire and their comments/advice is really relevant to each house.

Anyway who doesn't like to have a couple of fit young men in uniform visit you!
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    edited 13 November 2017 at 12:55PM
    https://www.dwfire.org.uk/safety/safe-and-well-visits/

Just phoned up as our fire alarm stopped working and they are sending us a free replacement.

We had this done a few years ago. Amazed when a fire engine turned up outside our place with a fire crew inside. Two guys come in. One fitted the alarm and the other one made some very useful suggestions like keeping a key in our bedroom for the bedroom french door in case we had fire and need to get out quick.

Suggest that people give their local fire service a call to see if they offer a free service.
  • https://www.esfrs.org/your-safety/home-safety-visits/close-call-home-safety-visit-prevents-a-fire/

This is offered by East Sussex Fire Brigade, I guess other areas may do similar scheme.

Eligibility for free alarms looks to be targeted to elderly residents, or with health / sight / mobility issues

tel 0800 177 7069 or do online visit request.

side note-
    You can buy battery operated alarms, to fit yourself, quite cheaply at B&Q, etc. A few pounds can save lives!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure