Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

Comments

• weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    piraterob wrote: »
    just wondering how people select which competitons they do as there as so many posted each day they cant do everyone?
    i for sure cant do many as when log off i forget which ones i have not looked at
    ikkle87 wrote: »
    if u click the thanks button it will help u keep track

I also tend to subscibe to each competition.By doing this I can see straightaway on page view which competitions I have entered.It's also a good way of spotting any of my own posted comps that have been commented on & may need attention of some sort.
  • toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Vg, tried to write a pm, but page kept spinning?

Do u think Candis, warrants the avoid list ,http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=34457705&highlight=#post34457705

They are known for calling and passing on details even when the dont pass box is ticked as well as other unsavoury practices (imo)

Thanks xx
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • Amilucky?
    Amilucky? Posts: 13,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    toniq wrote: »
    Hi Vg, tried to write a pm, but page kept spinning?

Do u think Candis, warrants the avoid list ,http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=34457705&highlight=#post34457705

They are known for calling and passing on details even when the dont pass box is ticked as well as other unsavoury practices (imo)

Thanks xx

I personally don't think that they warrant being on the avoid list as most of the magazine's on mse that have competitions will sell on your details to other companies and will also if you do not tick the correct boxes also bombard you with marketing call's etc

Candis are not a registered charity and therefore cannot be compared with Oxfam and other registered charities, they are a family company who choose to give 10% of there money to charity,

if all companies and indeed individuals gave a tithe (10%) of there money to charity or the poor or needy then the world would be a much better place,

most pharmaceutical companies make billions in profit and charge exorbitant prices for there drugs but how many of them give 10% to charity or sell there drugs cheaply to help third world countries

how many of the so called mainstream magazines and companies that have competitions on mse actually donate anything to charity ?

while I do not condone Candis's practises I have to say that most companies are not moralistic when it comes to making money and i'm afraid if we banned them all from mse then there wouldn't be many competitions left to enter

having said the above I would advise howether that you do not subscribe to there magazine but instead give to a proper charity like Oxfam ;)

I myself have not been spammed or scammed or called by them and have entered all of the competitions that have been posted on mse

I also don't think that the registered charity Crimestoppers would be partners with Candis if they thought that they where spammers or scammers

just my point of view

Best of Luck :)
  • While changing my "signature" on here I noticed that you can have an avatar and that they are shown below ppls names :think:

I can't see anyones avatar.....what am I doing wrong?? :o

Blue xx
    And I won't sit down and I won't shut up
    And most of all I will not grow up! :p
    Frank Turner/Photosynthesis
  • lilias
    lilias Posts: 7,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    While changing my "signature" on here I noticed that you can have an avatar and that they are shown below ppls names :think:

I can't see anyones avatar.....what am I doing wrong?? :o

Blue xx

Go into your UserCP -> Settings and Options -> Thread Display Options and make sure that Show Avatars is ticked.
  • lilias wrote: »
    Go into your UserCP -> Settings and Options -> Thread Display Options and make sure that Show Avatars is ticked.

Thank you lilias ...you are a star :kisses3:

Blue x
    And I won't sit down and I won't shut up
    And most of all I will not grow up! :p
    Frank Turner/Photosynthesis
  • sharon1953
    sharon1953 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Where can I find the rules about posting competitions, I can't see it but thought would be here...but then it's a Monday, I'm newish on here, and over 50!....The posting rules say I can post new threads, but not attachements, does that mean I can't post a link to comp either?
    abolish call centres now!
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Now that you are past ten postings you should be able to post links.Have you had a try.May be enquire further in the discussion thread.
  • lilias
    lilias Posts: 7,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sharon1953 wrote: »
    Where can I find the rules about posting competitions, I can't see it but thought would be here...but then it's a Monday, I'm newish on here, and over 50!....The posting rules say I can post new threads, but not attachements, does that mean I can't post a link to comp either?

Have you had a look at the first page of this thread - scroll down to the section "Posting Comps" ?

A link to a comp is not the same as an attachment, so link away :)
  • gentleorange
    gentleorange Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    What is the post-win etiquette? Is it enough to thank by return email when email is used to inform you of a win, or should you also send a thank you email after receipt of a prize?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure