Getting rid of 1571

2»

Comments

• ACDeag
    ACDeag Posts: 742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Heinz wrote: »
    1280 doesn't work with Sky Talk any longer - Sky changed from CPS to WCLI to stop that and, thereby, to ensure users paid their excessive prices for 0845 and 0870 calls.

18185 will still work for 0845/0870 wont it?
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    ACDeag wrote: »
    18185 will still work for 0845/0870 wont it?

If you have your line rental with BT yes indirect access via 18185 will definitely work as BT have to allow access.

If you have your line rental with Sky it works at moment but they could bar access if they wished.
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Our line rental is through BT.

So 18185 should work?
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Well I dialled 18185 and a recorded message told me I had to register my phone number online with a credit/debit card and directed me to This website :confused:

Can someone tell me how I can make 2 chargeable calls through BT?
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 17 August 2009 at 8:56PM
    Well I dialled 18185 and a recorded message told me I had to register my phone number online with a credit/debit card and directed me to This website :confused:
    18185 is cheap, but not a free service. You have to register for an account with them online in order to use it.
    Can someone tell me how I can make 2 chargeable calls through BT?
    As I said in post #11, you can't because, although you pay line rental to BT, you have a CPS calls provider which now uses WCLI - so the 1280 prefix to 'hop back onto BT' doesn't work.

However, diamonds found a workaround - a BT Chargecard (see HERE).

Update 17/8/09. BT company representative has now done an about-turn on this and confirmed that chargecard calls do NOT count as chargeable calls. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...3&postcount=11
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure