PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another day - another s0ddin' meal to have to think about ... or not.

Not eaten so far today - will probably have wheat biscuits, milk, sugar as I've got milk in the house and that's a no brainer.

Also got half a baked spud in the fridge - so that could be reheated with cheese.... that sounds like a goer. That particular cheese needs using up as it's got a very short lifespan.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning chums :wave:

Happy friday and more importantly I hope its very peaceful for everyone :)

Todays cooking for one is back to yesterdays pizza plan. Tuna anchovy and [STRIKE]pineapple
    [/STRIKE] lol not ever in a million years

Having said that I have some pineapple to use up for something so was thinking a very retro pineapple upside down cake :cool: cant remember the last time I had some of that but I do remember it being scrummy :) On the other hand if anyone has any nice ideas for pineapple that dont involve a ham pizza that let me know I think I need inspiration :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have CBA big time today, so am making the effort to get prepp`d up before the CBA means jam on toast for all meals

usual breakfast, then had to drive neighbour for long distance bus, sainsbury on way back. I feel like meat, as well as the cba coming, so am cooking sausage, black pud, tomato in a frying pan, no oil. While cooking I have thrown together a turkey casserole for slow cooking, already had the diced turkey, opened wine etc. Thrown in celeriac, stock pot, frozen already saute`ed base of shallots etc, swede, tomato, carrot, shitake etc. Had to be quick otherwise I would not have bothered and now will be enough for four meals, will freeze three, as well as the oven keeping the room warm

Will be having veg juice later, mostly green stuff. Already eaten an easy peeler and few black grapes. Got kefir to use up so will make some yummy no-sugar scones, another quick grab, from the freezer, item. Ok to do if I do it in stages ie rubbing the butter in when I can `spare` five minutes then wait until oven is hot for casserole
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I had the spud/cheese in the end.

While in the kitchen I looked at what to focus on - I've still got a whole s0ddin' swede I thought was a good idea when I bought it over a week ago. There's meatballs/tomato sauce too. I've eggs but they're fine for now.

I think tea will therefore be spaghetti/tomato sauce and meatballs. If I had other stuff I'd chuck that in too, but I don't have other stuff, e.g. if I had some peppers or a carrot to grate or even half a pineapple ring ... or, well, anything. But to add anything to the meatballs would mean opening something new, generating more "leftovers" with a limited lifespan... so I'll keep it simple.

That's the trouble - the miniature quantities involved mean it's harder to add things on a whim.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Karcher - I'd keep a noise diary for a couple of weeks before contacting the landlord, so that if they try to fob you off you can give times and details to prove it's not just the odd day here and there.

CaronC - you have my sympathies, I had mice when I moved in here. It wasn't too bad to start with, just an odd one. Then one day I went in the kitchen and there must have been at least five in varous places on the worktops who all raced back to a corner where they could escape. It was like some horror movie. I finally got rid of them for good through a mixture of humane traps strategically placed, and wire wool in any hole they might be able to squeeze through, which is surprisingly small.

Today's been an avocado and banana for breakfast, and tea will be a bag of stir fry.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 3:43PM
    Options

Not eaten so far today - will probably have wheat biscuits, milk, sugar as I've got milk in the house and that's a no brainer.

Also got half a baked spud in the fridge - so that could be reheated with cheese.... that sounds like a goer. That particular cheese needs using up as it's got a very short lifespan.

Now that's a term I use - ie that something is a "soddin' whatever-it-is":rotfl:. But in a rather different context. I apply it to anything that "shouldnt be". So a repair to anything electrical in my house, for instance, is a "soddin' repair" (as I've put time and money into getting the electrics modernised - so a repair shouldnt happen ever in my lifetime).

Healthcare costs are also a "soddin' " expense (we're supposed to have an NHS/and why is my body having a health problem anyway?:mad:) and so on....

But then food is a pleasure to me - as well as a necessity to keep my body functional. Pleasures are never "soddin' " imo. It's the "shouldnt happen" necessities that will get that label.

Back onto food and lunch was a couple of slices of my homemade wholemeal bread (toasted), chunk of cheese, tomatoes, olives. Errrm...I can see a theme emerging here - as in I'm all too prone to grabbing a chunk of cheese for my figures sake. Dinner - well I've just hoicked an UFO out of the freezer and hoping it will defrost in time for dinner tonight. Not got much idea at all what it is - other than I think there is some rice in it by the look of it.

Must declutter my freezer - as I am coming up to the time of year when I'm likely to start filling it up again.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

I was in same situation this morning, until my lurch around Lidl provided a YS [actually it is red S, being Lidl] of a chicken red Thai curry for £1.04, dinner solved :j

Pineapple, I still have 3/4 left of my 50p one, had 1/4 with LO thick cream, now stuck with the rest, the upside down pud sounds nice, but I have never made one and doubt I ever will. I did think of bunging crumble on it, or perhaps do something nuclear in the micro, or more likely watch it get older until I get fed up and eat it as is

My unknown white fish yesterday turned out to be haddock, which unfortunately gave it's life in vain, it was like leather, and now I have opened pack of frozen haddock which will be in the freezer for a looooong time until I think of something to do with them, perhaps haddock & pineapple pizza ?:eek:

Lunch was easy, cheese, tom & cuc sarnie, and just one biscuit this morning

This weekend's food is a big unknown, hoping for inspiration or miracle, like many of us I have a food and more food but loads of CBAitis whne it comes to doing something with it
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just been catching up with the thread - 'fraid I's a poorly Wolf today, so am parked on the sofa in my dressing gown. :(
    Ames wrote: »
    Karcher - I'd keep a noise diary for a couple of weeks before contacting the landlord, so that if they try to fob you off you can give times and details to prove it's not just the odd day here and there.
    Karcher this is good advice; do this while you're getting your other neighbours on board to speak to landlord. ;)
    You do have my sympathy also - the chap who had the bungalow next door to us (joined to ours) made my life hell for two solid years while he did a loft conversion, turned the carport into a garage, and moved the front door. Only once did I go and ask him to tone it down (he was hammering out the front door lintel, so loudly the pictures on my lounge and bedroom walls were vibrating fit to fall off, and I had a migraine at the time). I staggered out, explained to him I was trying to rest as I was ill.... and the blighter told me he'd f....ing well do what he wanted when he f....ing well wanted to do it, and if I didn't like it, he'd hammer at 11o'clock at night. :(
    I hope you can get a satisfactory end to this; noise nuisance is awful. x
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Spaghetti is easier to cook than rice...fact.

I should eat it more often.

It's quicker too.

I could probably make the rice the same cooking method exactly ...but it'd still take longer (12 minutes instead of 5).

Just ate spaghetti with meatballs chopped into smaller chunks and a tomato sauce. Well tasty; well filling ... no effort required, so it's a winner.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    What a charmer of a neighbour (not!).

You could try out the "Are you a nice person?" quiz there in today's Daily Mail on him. Apparently rather fewer people pass the test than those that think they will - appparently about a third of people think they will pass it. Most of them are deluded - only about 2% of people actually pass it:eek:

Mygawd!!!! Just as well I'm a cynic anyway....and yep...I passed it...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure