Ikea mattress sagging?

I've posted this on yahoo answers too but figured I was more likely to get a proper answer here!

I bought an ikea mattress and bed frame a few months ago. I can't remember the exact date and will have to go through bank statements to find out but it was a few months into dating my ex who I only started seeing in November of 2011 so it isn't over 7 months or so old I'd say at a guess as he says it was January-ish.

It's a foam mattress and is now sagging to a point where you can feel the bed slats through the mattress when laying on it. I'm concerned however as to whether they'd accept it back (I'd only wish to exchange it for one fit for sleeping on) as it is stained in one corner of the mattress after a bag was hung on the end of the bed frame and leaked.

I do not have the original receipt but could provide a bank statement as proof of purchase as it was bought with a VISA debit card. However this was in the same transaction as the frame so I'm unsure if they'd accept it as proof?

Does anyone know if this would be returnable? It really isn't fit for purpose, I'm 5"2 and nine and a half stone, it's a double mattress so isn't as if this is unreasonable weight for it to bare; however I'm unsure due to the stain.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• dave5416
    dave5416 Posts: 22 Forumite
    I would go back to the store. If you can prove date they can do a search for your card transaction on that date. Most people buy mattresses with bed frames. Don't worry about stain It's the sagging your complaining about.
    I would argue 7 months is no time at all for a mattress to last as Ikea mattresses have a 25 year guarentee ( I think but certainly 10 years or more)
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    In my opinion, a lot of Ikea stuff is terribly shoddy and will last long enough to become last years style then be skipped, so I am not surprised a foam mattress has given up.

I suppose the first thing to check is if it is meant as a daily use mattress, or a guest/occasional mattress? It may be expecting/be specified to work 10 nights a year as opposed to 300+. Check the catalogues to make sure it is sold as a real mattress first, strengthen your case when you go in there.

I seriously doubt you could get a refund, repair is nonsense, so most likely outcome is a replacement or partial refund (as you have had 7 months enjoyment), however a receipt will really REALLY strengthen your case, so have another look.

Problem is any replacement will also probably be cheap tat and have the same problems with time, and that's the best you are likely to get without a receipt. I have had friends have to pile up broken rubbish outside Ikea's entrance after 6 months of being bedless thanks to their unwillingness to provide what they were paid for, so just be aware you may not get John Lewis level service, and have to fight/stand firm.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If it's a sultan mattress (which most are) you have a 25 year guarantee. You will need to dig out either your receipt, or bank statement which has date of purchase on it, and call customer services. They may advise you to take the mattress in to store or that an inspector will come out to see the mattress. Then you will get the amount paid back on to a refund voucher to go and purchase another mattress.

Just a request - if you DO bring it back in to store, please! make sure the mattress is of a cleanish demeanour - as an IKEA returns co worker, I get so many DISGUSTING mattresses brought back, covered in hairs and stains, that we then have to handle. (I'm not saying your mattress will be like that - but give a thought to the people who have to get rid of it!!)
  • SuperHan wrote: »
    If it's a sultan mattress (which most are) you have a 25 year guarantee. You will need to dig out either your receipt, or bank statement which has date of purchase on it, and call customer services. They may advise you to take the mattress in to store or that an inspector will come out to see the mattress. Then you will get the amount paid back on to a refund voucher to go and purchase another mattress.

Just a request - if you DO bring it back in to store, please! make sure the mattress is of a cleanish demeanour - as an IKEA returns co worker, I get so many DISGUSTING mattresses brought back, covered in hairs and stains, that we then have to handle. (I'm not saying your mattress will be like that - but give a thought to the people who have to get rid of it!!)

Thank you to all 3 of you, I found the reciept for the bedding which was purchased directly before/after the bed (in the queue with my mum) and it was Feb 3rd so it's only about 4 months old if my maths serves me right.

Paddyrg I'd not expect anything other than a replacement, and I'd be saving up afterwards in order to be able to buy something of better quality, I just need something useable until I have the money to replace it. It's a Sultan one that was sold to us as being suitable for everyday use.

SuperHan I'd be aware of this anyway, I use sheets (don't understand not, doesn't quite seem clean to me!) so the only bit that wouldn't be clean would be the corner where the stain is, which has been scrubbed so it's merely miscoloured :)

Thanks again, wasn't sure if I'd managed to void my rights as it's 'damaged' or not, good to know that I should be fine!
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Sounds like you have a strong case! Hope it goes well!
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

SuperHan I'd be aware of this anyway, I use sheets (don't understand not, doesn't quite seem clean to me!) so the only bit that wouldn't be clean would be the corner where the stain is, which has been scrubbed so it's merely miscoloured :)

I don't doubt you would! Some discolouring is to be expected, but you would not believe the sort of stuff that some people bring back! We even have rubber gloves ready to be able to carry them to the bins!
  • Don't buy an Ikea Sultan Mattress on the grounds that it has a 25 year guarantee - that doesn't cover wear and tear. Ikea customer services cannot explain what the difference is between 'wear and tear' and a manufacturing defect. We are a normal sized couple with a Sultan king sized mattress which comes in two halves and is simply placed together and zipped up with a cover. It has acquired a large dip in the middle which is rather like two single mattresses pushed together. Ikea have sent somebody to inspect it and the conclusion is that it isn't covered under the 25 year warranty as the dip[ in the middle is due to 'wear and tear'. The Ikea adviser and I discussed this in great detail as I cannot understand how a bed, which is, as she agreed, expected to be used for eight hours every day, can actaully suffer from wear and tear beyond its 25 year life expectancy. If I was 20 stone or bed ridden I would understand where they were coming from - but we are both normal sized and stay in bed for eight hours or less per day. To me, the mattress has failed due to a manufacturing defect or design defect (I suspect the latter) which the guarantee clearly states IS covered - 'foam core in foam mattress' comes under the items which are covered under the guarantee.
    I would be very interested to hear of anybody elses experience as it appears to be a common fault.
    As it stands, I intend to action a small claims summons against Ikea and would be happy to publish my outcome. This is a 'large corporation' typical bullying tactic Ikea has used in order to avoid the cost of replacing a faulty product, presumably to many people, in the hope that they can't be bothered to fight it and just buy a replacement. Many years ago, I felt the same about the way I wes treated by 'Marsercare Coverplan' - a repair service company which was part of Currys. I actioned a small claims summons against them an they paid out a day or so before the court date. I then learned that this is what large companies did in order to avoid being part of any statistics or on any data showing how many claims they had against them - I was mortified and wished I had seen it through. I have never felt so angered since then (about 12 years ago) but Ikea has got my hackles up.
    Any comments or information on your experiences??
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    good luck ........we have a ongoing complaint about a faulty bed since july still not resolved with broken promises galore from them I was going to buy a bed for myself from them but after this nightmare would not touch their beds with a bargepole
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Was not long ago I saw ad ad showing Ikea mattresses being tested by a giant pummeling machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure