PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We can't find the Septic Tank

Comments

• I moved to a house with a septic tank a few years ago - and also had concerns about the drainage. It is an old brick tank probably about the same age as the house. We knew where the inspection cover was, and had a look down it (showed nothing more than a big black hole...) but could not locate the route of the soakaway. However, since being here I have learned not to be too concerned about STs. As they depend on the appropriate balance of bacteria to work properly, you take care what you put down your loo and sinks- reduced levels of bleach etc. Anything that might interfere or kill off the bacteria is a no no.
    Other than that, if it is working, we leave it alone. Have not had it emptied in the 6 years we have had it, and no issues. In fact, we were also told not to bother emptying it. And that the old fashioned brick ones are superior to the newer plastic ones.
    So- what would I do in your situation?
    Exactly what you are proposing, go and take a look round the garden and see if you can locate the tank cover. Probably a concrete slab of some sort, but could be metal.
    Look back to the house - where would the logical route for the drainage be? Are there any inspection points along the way - that might indicate a change in direction.
    Look for lush vegetation - that might indicate where the outfall is.
    Flush the toilets in the house - do they flush OK - anything untoward coming back? If you can find an inspection cover for the drains, you could flush the loo and get someone else to watch the open drain and see what comes past.
    If you get the drains inspected, they might try and put some dye down the loos or sinks and see where it emerges and how long it takes.
    Are there any neighbouring houses built at the same time? Would the pattern of their drainage be similar? Presumably the tank is individual to the house you are buying?
    Lastly - if it was built in the 1970's, would the local Council have any plans on file - either planning or building control? They may have archived them, or destroyed them of course. But if they exist, then then these might have a drainage plan on them.
    There might be something with the Title Deeds as well.
    I hope this is helpful - and good luck with your Great ST Hunt!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Our neighbour- a crofter- put a dead sheep in his to start it.

Road kill is also used.
  • lovehols
    lovehols Posts: 214 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2018 at 10:55PM
    There are some cottage style properties the other side of the canal, although I'm not sure of their set up. There is a lot of garden and a wooded area which is quite overgrown so it may just be very well hidden.

There is also another potential problem which is around where the effluent may be going and particular if it is ending up in a watercourse, e.g. the canal which runs adjacent to the property. If so, and I hope not, then this has to be replaced by 2020 or when the property is sold, so I think the seller would have some responsibility to sort. https://www.wte-ltd.co.uk/septic_tank_general_binding_rules_2020.html
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    lovehols wrote: »

There is also another potential problem which is around where the effluent may be going and particular if it is ending up in a watercourse, e.g. the canal which runs adjacent to the property.

I don't know what the situation is in England but when I sold my property I had to include confirmation from the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency that the run off from the septic tank was acceptable to them - luckily it had been tested not long before so I didn't need to pay for it to be re-done.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I lived in a property for 10 years (2004-14) that had a septic tank serving 6 properties, and it was never emptied in that time. Emptying annually would have been an awful waste of money.

I agree, but I googled and found a regulation on a government site saying annually. Will try to find it again and give a reference.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • lovehols wrote: »
    We can't find the Septic Tank?
    You will when it overflows.....
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Quit making nice.
    Either ask to see the invoice of the last cleaning thereof, phone the business & ask them if they will (a) confirm the job was done & (b) tell you the location of the tank.

Or tell the vendor to show you, now, or the sale is off & you'll be speaking to the estate agent about other proprieties rather than waste any more money.

All the work you've put in so far is experience gained if you don't know your drainage, and a septic tank is a very special addition to the family.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    I agree, but I googled and found a regulation on a government site saying annually. Will try to find it again and give a reference.
    It's not a regulation; it's a recommendation on many web-sites.

But no one knows your tank or your usage, so it's a very conservative sort of guide figure.

If a tank eventually fills right up, then the excess material, including solids, will go over the weir at the lower end of the tank and soon fill the pipes leading to and within the drainage field. Then a new one of those will be needed.

I get my huge tank done every 2 years or so. As it's big, it's never completely empty. It's better leaving some. People with tanks don't pay sewerage charges, so there's nowt to complain about.

In the OP's case I'd say it should be straghtforward finding the tank, if correctly dressed and with vegetation-clearing equipment. I couldn't hide mine at this time of year!
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It shouldn't be too hard to find as it will most likely have a drain cover over it so it can be inspected and emptied. At this time of year it should be visible even if it is overgrown.

Some old brick septic tanks are very large or leak hence the stories about tanks not emptied for decades. If you leave emptying septic tanks too long, solids start running into the pipes in the leach field that can be very very expensive. It is safest to empty it every couple of years - you will still be better off than with mains drainage where you would be paying a lot more to water companies.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Modern septic tanks are onion shaped and need emptying because there is not enough surface area at the top for bacterial conversion(?) but old chambered ones do convert the waste and the liquid drains out so they need emptying infrequently. If the house was occupied by one person, as it's a probate I assume yes, then it won't necessarily need emptying annually, depends how much waste you produce. Do the neighbours know? if there house is similar the tanks might be in similar relative locations if that makes sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure