Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Giggidy
    • By Giggidy 11th Jan 18, 10:13 AM
    • 84Posts
    • 19Thanks
    Giggidy
    Ordering products from USA
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:13 AM
    Ordering products from USA 11th Jan 18 at 10:13 AM
    I would like to order some hair products from the US, in smallish quantities from various companies, no more than a 100 items to sell in a subscription box. A lot of these products you cant find here, or are much cheaper than UK prices even with shipping costs. Would I be liable to pay any customs or duties on these? I tried contacting HMRC but the lines are extremely busy
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 11th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 4,209 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    Yes you would pay duty and VAT on the items

Believe duty is 11% on cosmetics
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Jan 18, 2:23 PM
    • 59,738 Posts
    • 42,406 Thanks
    soolin
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:23 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:23 PM
    Plus you'll pay handling fees as well depending on the courier you use.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 11th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 5,760 Posts
    • 5,213 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    I would like to order some hair products from the US, in smallish quantities from various companies, no more than a 100 items to sell in a subscription box. A lot of these products you cant find here, or are much cheaper than UK prices even with shipping costs. Would I be liable to pay any customs or duties on these? I tried contacting HMRC but the lines are extremely busy
    Originally posted by Giggidy
    even people who do not buy in order to sell must pay import duties so yes of course you will have to pay duties and VAT

you may want to check your business plan again...
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 12th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    • 13,096 Posts
    • 11,164 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    Yes, you'll pay duty and VAT. If the above is correct that'll be about +33% plus courier fee (may be as low as £8, £15 isn't uncommon). If they're cheap enough it's not a big deal BUT you (as importer and distributor) will be liable if they cause harm/have EU-illegal ingredients/whatever.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 12th Jan 18, 3:16 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:16 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:16 PM
    https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/106/
    • Giggidy
    • By Giggidy 12th Jan 18, 6:01 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Giggidy
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:01 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:01 PM
    even people who do not buy in order to sell must pay import duties so yes of course you will have to pay duties and VAT

you may want to check your business plan again...
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    Wow, you seem nice. Must be great knowing everything about everything, and never having to ask anyone questions about something you unsure of. Well done you
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    • 61,279 Posts
    • 358,788 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    Double check that it's legal to sell those products in this country - as they are personal care products it's possible they don't meet UK/EU laws. Often stuff sold under the same name in different countries has been altered in some way to be legal in each individual country and sold only through their authorised channels/suppliers for this reason.
    • Giggidy
    • By Giggidy 12th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Giggidy
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    Double check that it's legal to sell those products in this country - as they are personal care products it's possible they don't meet UK/EU laws. Often stuff sold under the same name in different countries has been altered in some way to be legal in each individual country and sold only through their authorised channels/suppliers for this reason.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Thanks for the heads up! These products are sold in shops here that import from the US, obviously at an over-inflated price which is why I was thinking of buying direct, but won't be worth it either after factoring in Import VAT, courier fees / royal mail handling fees
    • martindow
    • By martindow 13th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    • 7,344 Posts
    • 4,123 Thanks
    martindow
    Wow, you seem nice. Must be great knowing everything about everything, and never having to ask anyone questions about something you unsure of. Well done you
    Originally posted by Giggidy
    Your tone is surprising. You came here to ask for information and advice and it is good that you have received this before you went ahead with an order.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet but you would also have had to pay VAT on the carriage costs.

Factory gate prices in foreign countries are often very low but once shipping, duty and VAT have been paid the price once you receive the items can be very different.
    • Giggidy
    • By Giggidy 13th Jan 18, 10:32 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Giggidy
    Your tone is surprising. You came here to ask for information and advice and it is good that you have received this before you went ahead with an order.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet but you would also have had to pay VAT on the carriage costs.

Factory gate prices in foreign countries are often very low but once shipping, duty and VAT have been paid the price once you receive the items can be very different.
    Originally posted by martindow
    Thanks Martin, after the useful info I received on here, I decided not to go ahead, it just wouldn't be cost effective.

With regards to the response you quoted, as you said I came here for advice, and as often is the case on forums like this, most people are helpful, others just patronising and unnecessary
    • theroamingnomad
    • By theroamingnomad 13th Jan 18, 11:11 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    theroamingnomad
    I've found Amazon and eBay to be a great sources for American cosmetic and toiletry products at competitive prices
    Debt-free by September 1st, 2018 - hopefully!
    £5124/£5124 (Jan 2018)
    • Giggidy
    • By Giggidy 13th Jan 18, 11:47 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Giggidy
    I've found Amazon and eBay to be a great sources for American cosmetic and toiletry products at competitive prices
    Originally posted by theroamingnomad
    Thank you, will give that a look!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

187Posts Today

2,044Users online

Martin's Twitter