Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adventureofmemories
    • By adventureofmemories 22nd Dec 17, 10:54 PM
    • 159Posts
    • 525Thanks
    adventureofmemories
    January | Penny Pincher Challenge
    • 22nd Dec 17, 10:54 PM
    January | Penny Pincher Challenge 22nd Dec 17 at 10:54 PM
    The challenge
    The aim of this challenge is to create a list of 15 tasks that you will aim to complete in the month to help you save money or to be more financially stable.

Guidance
    • There must be 15 items on your list
    • Each task is worth 1 "point" . You will gain an extra 5 points for completing every task at least once.
    • Please update us at least weekly with your current 'point' status so we can include you in our weekly tally
    • Keep track of your tasks and how many times you have done them
    • There isn't a limit to how many times you do the tasks as long as it helps you to save moeny in some ways
    • You can include other challenges such as the sealed pot challenge, save £1 a day etc...
    • Try to mix your list up to help you avoid being stuck in a rut
    • Try to join in with our chats / coffee mornings as well as our mini challenges (Which won't always be money/finace based)
    • you may change your list as needed
    How to join
    • Post your 15 tasks from the list below & act on them throughout the month.
    • You will get given a number and the members list will be posted below.
    • Be sure to keep us updated with your progress so we can add your points!
    Debt to fiancee - £404.00 (left to pay) | Save £12,000 in 2018 - £371.90 all together|2,018 items in 2018 (8/2,018)
Page 3
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 29th Dec 17, 5:13 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    RhiBi
    That's a great list!
    Good luck for January!

What are you most looking forward to in January?
    Originally posted by adventureofmemories
    Well itís my 22nd wedding anniversary on the 25th and my birthday on the 27th, so looking forward to both those!

Other than that, getting my head down and reining in the spending!

Hope youíve got things to look forward to too xx
    • adventureofmemories
    • By adventureofmemories 29th Dec 17, 5:56 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    adventureofmemories
    Aw congrats! That sounds lovely.

I don't have any big thing to look forward to as such bit I'm looking forward to the 8th of jan as that is when I get paid from my new job (I'd get paid a week extra plus overtime - i may get some taken off though due to being sent home ill in work , i work with children aged 2-5 and i was sick in the room so they gave me 48 hours off)

And so I can plan more effectively and start the year a fresh.

I just want to start my life again with better habits.
    Debt to fiancee - £404.00 (left to pay) | Save £12,000 in 2018 - £371.90 all together|2,018 items in 2018 (8/2,018)
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 29th Dec 17, 6:24 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    RhiBi
    I’m a TA in a reception class, the bugs we pick up are awful aren’t they

I had an early form of breast cancer in the middle of last year and our income took a bashing and so we used credit cards. I know in some ways it’s foolish, but we needed a family holiday after everything, but we’ll be paying for it for a while! It wasn’t an extravagant holiday, we own a touring caravan and took it to France for 2 weeks!!! Xx
    • adventureofmemories
    • By adventureofmemories 29th Dec 17, 6:46 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    adventureofmemories
    Oh wow! A holiday is definitely needed after all that going on! Im so sorry to hear that but glad you're better. Must have been awful.

I'm forever picking up bugs. I'm so prone to colds that i have one each week...even in summer.

But I'm hoping i wont get as ill as my last job since i will have half days in work (i work 40 hrs a week, 10 hours for 4 days and 6 hours-ish on half days)

When i go back on tuesday , I'm doing a 11:30am-5:30pm shift.
    • keggsy
    • By keggsy 29th Dec 17, 9:51 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    keggsy
    Today has been quite a good day for me.

Popped to the shops as I needed to buy a diary and calendar for next year, managed to get both half price...result. I need a family calendar as trying to remember everything for everyone is a mission.

I used cash and not my card....1 pt

I remembered my shopping bags so I didnít buy any....1 pt

I managed to put a £2 coin into my sealed tin......1 pt

Finally I went through all the cupboards, fridge and freezer. I made a list of everything we have....1 pt

4 points today. Iím quite chuffed with that.

Hopefully the momentum will continue through Jan.

Xx
    Trying to make our money work for us and not the other way round!!
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 29th Dec 17, 10:00 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    I feel your need of a family calendar keggsy. I have an organised mum family planner as it is the only way I can remember which kid is supposed to be where on which day. I had one last year and was incredibly organised so I treated myself to another one for 2018.

So today I have
    - checked banks - 1pt
    - updated ynab - 1pt

That was all for today. But I got my new card for my new current account today but I can't use it yet as no pin number. I am also hoping for a sale of furniture tomorrow.
    Total debt Dec 2017 £22940.83/£23090.83
    Debt no 1 £493.29/£593.29 ~ Emergency fund £0/£600
    PAYDOBX2018 #97 £0/£12,000 ~ Make £10 a day #16 £28.90/£62
    20p savers 2018 #95
    NSD Jan 2018 2/12
    • adventureofmemories
    • By adventureofmemories 29th Dec 17, 10:29 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    adventureofmemories
    Awesome jobs guys!

I received undated diary pages for my planner as a christmas present (i asked for it since i only like ones from paperchase) and i printed out a week plan and put it into a polly pocket. I stuck it to the front of our kitchen door so we see it each day. Not much on there this week but I'm sure it'll be filled soon!

Just hoping the money gets put into my account fir Bill's after an error with natwest.
    • starting_again_in_the_sun
    • By starting_again_in_the_sun 29th Dec 17, 10:35 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    starting_again_in_the_sun
    Can I join please? Love the idea of this challenge .

My 15 things:
    1. Check bank accounts
    2. Check prolific academic 3x a day.
    3. Check other survey sites and do searches.
    4. Save 10/29/50c coins.
    5. Grocery challenge
    6. Take a bag for life shopping.
    7. Write a shopping list.
    8. Meal plan.
    9. Turn lights off when no one is in a room.
    10. Aim for at least 2 NSD a week.
    11. Compare prices before buying anything.
    12. Don't use credit card.
    13. Use slow cooker every week.
    14. Keep spending diary.
    15. Walk 5000 a day ( well, if I'm walking I'm not spending )

Good luck everyone, and enjoy the rest of 2017!
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 29th Dec 17, 10:45 PM
    • 5,511 Posts
    • 11,262 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Loving some of the ideas people are coming up with for their lists, I could probably write a list with 25 things on now! Need to stick with what I have got for now but have lots of ideas if I want to change anything next month.

I'm not starting until the first but have been preparing. I have set up new bank account ready to transfer money when I round down when checking account.
    • scrooge2008
    • By scrooge2008 30th Dec 17, 9:44 AM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 4,587 Thanks
    scrooge2008
    Spreadsheet
    I have prepared my excel spreadsheet for sticking in the front of my new A4 diary .

Tasks 1-15 listed in first 15 rows with days 1-10 in the first ten columns - for ticking, when achieved, and then a total box.

Repeated below for days 11 - 20, and then below that for days 21 - 31.

It fits nicely on a page...... Starting my challenge officially January 1st getting the prep work in now. Thank you for the encouragement.
    I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 30th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 254 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    I have prepared my excel spreadsheet for sticking in the front of my new A4 diary .

Tasks 1-15 listed in first 15 rows with days 1-10 in the first ten columns - for ticking, when achieved, and then a total box.

Repeated below for days 11 - 20, and then below that for days 21 - 31.

It fits nicely on a page...... Starting my challenge officially January 1st getting the prep work in now. Thank you for the encouragement.
    Originally posted by scrooge2008
    Oooh I do like that idea. I might need to steal it and put it in my diary. Unfortunately mine is only an A5 one but I am sure I could make it fit. Thank you for the fantastic idea and I do love a spreadsheet!
    Total debt Dec 2017 £22940.83/£23090.83
    Debt no 1 £493.29/£593.29 ~ Emergency fund £0/£600
    PAYDOBX2018 #97 £0/£12,000 ~ Make £10 a day #16 £28.90/£62
    20p savers 2018 #95
    NSD Jan 2018 2/12
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 30th Dec 17, 11:06 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    RhiBi
    These so far for me:

Leave your card at home - 1pt itís my daughterís birthday on 2nd, so Iím going to pick up cards and a balloon and will be paying with cash in my purse.
    Check bank accounts frequently 1pt checked and PAD completed to Next
    Cancel unused subscriptions 1pt cancelled a Birchbox subscription that was £10 a month 😮👍
    • try harder
    • By try harder 30th Dec 17, 12:06 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    try harder
    Please can i join in
    1 Check bank accounts daily
    2 Check survey sites
    3 Take bags for life
    4 Grocery Challenge
    5 Write a shopping list
    6 Meal plan
    7 Aim for at least 1 NSD a week
    8 Keep spending diary
    9 Not buying clothes
    10 Use up freezer contents
    11 Dont throw out food
    12 Add one item per day to Ebax
    13 Walk 5000 plus steps per day
    14 Save £10 a week for Christmas
    15 Post on diary every day
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 30th Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    • 5,511 Posts
    • 11,262 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Great idea about spreadsheet I am going to get that done today. I will have 7 columns as I work in weeks.

I am proud of myself today I saw a great offer on the grabbit board its something I like but don't need previously I would have brought some but I resisted and will put the money I was going to spend into savings instead. Also ds wants a pizza takeaway I told him he could have one but have been to the supermarket to buy myself a pizza for me to put in the oven (I got a posher one than I would normally but still cheaper than a takeaway one).
    • keggsy
    • By keggsy 30th Dec 17, 9:46 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    keggsy
    Evening All,

I hope you all have had a great day. I swear I must have checked to see what day it is about 10 times today, I always lose what day it is during the few days after Xmas and New Year.

I went shopping today and remembered my bags so yay...1 pt

I opened up a separate bank account today for Xmas savings....1 pt

Only 2 points today but I’m happy with that.

X
    Trying to make our money work for us and not the other way round!!
    • adventureofmemories
    • By adventureofmemories 30th Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    adventureofmemories
    I used cash today - 1pt
    for my grandad's birthday present which was only £10

I went ice skating and went for a meal ... my nan paid for all of us... and a hot choc. there was a good 10+ of us.

Im home now chilling with my fiancee and his parents.

I was almost in a car crash with my nan but we are all fine just shaken up .
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 30th Dec 17, 10:41 PM
    • 5,511 Posts
    • 11,262 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I hope you all have had a great day. I swear I must have checked to see what day it is about 10 times today, I always lose what day it is during the few days after Xmas and New Year.
    Originally posted by keggsy
    My son goes to see his dad for a couple of hours every Wednesday. Last Wednesday I forgot what day it was so didn't send him! My ex texted me one hour after my son should have been home to ask why he didn't come. Its clear my ex forget the day as well otherwise he would have rang 10 minutes after the time he should have arrived, of course ex was never going to admit that so it was all my fault

I was almost in a car crash with my nan but we are all fine just shaken up .
    Originally posted by adventureofmemories
    Gosh hope you are all ok. Its horrible when that happens I've had a few near misses as I am sure everyone has.
    • Bookaholic
    • By Bookaholic 30th Dec 17, 10:45 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    Bookaholic
    I’ve made a start...not counting up points today but I’ve started my money saving mission by deleting Etsy and amazon from my phone and various other thInns so they’re harder to get on to!
    We ate out today because it was my niece’s birthday and we had pizzas after her party. Last take it of the year...and last one for at least a month!
    Money saved for Christmas 2018 £6/£500
    No more Buying Books challenge - read 2 books 2017-18
    January NSDs - 3/15
    • adventureofmemories
    • By adventureofmemories 31st Dec 17, 9:31 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    adventureofmemories
    DEC Points Tally
    A.O.M - 9 pts
    Keggsy - 6 pts
    RhiBI - 3 pts
    MOFK - 18 pts

total points: 36

An outstanding number considering there was less then a week before Jan.
    Well done everybody... who's ready for January's challenge?
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 31st Dec 17, 4:39 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    RhiBi
    1. Save all spare change 1pt
    2. bring your own bottle to work
    3. take your own lunch to work
    4. meal plan
    5. set a target for a specific amount of No Spend Days (3 per week)
    6. Leave your card at home
    7. Check bank accounts frequently 1pt
    8. Cancel unused subscriptions
    9. Avoid online shops such as Ebay
    10. Create a shopping list & stick to it
    11. Only go shopping when there is 3+ items on the list
    12. Stop buying branded food 1pt
    13. Give yourself a limit to spend
    14. Create a budget
    15. Use left overs / search for cheap meals 1pt
    16. Use loyalty cards such as tesco and always put the pints on that card
    17. Do a spend freeze on an item you spend a lot on1pt
    18. Use voucher codes
    19. Reuse shopping bags 1pt
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 #7 £21.90/£250 Bring lunch to work 05/18 NSD 05/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,941Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin