Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • keepthelinguini
    • By keepthelinguini 9th Aug 17, 2:42 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 3Thanks
    High Income Child Benefit Charge
    • #1
    • 9th Aug 17, 2:42 PM
    High Income Child Benefit Charge 9th Aug 17 at 2:42 PM
    I'm so annoyed. I've just received a big bill from HMRC and been told I'm going to pay a penalty, and I think it's completely unjust.

    I'm a PAYE employee.

    In 2013 when the High Income Child Benefit Charge was introduced I earned under the £50,000 threshold - so the change in rules didn't apply to me.

    Since then my income has gone slightly over £50,000.

    I've just received a bill for well over £1k for missed HICBC in the two years ending 2015 and 2016. I called them to query, and they said I should have registered for self assessment when my income went over £50k, and that I'll be charged a penalty on top of the amount I owe - around £250 - for failing to notify them.

    HOW was I supposed to know I need to start filling out a tax return when my income went above £50k?

    I'm planning to appeal the penalty, but the lady in the call centre told me that it would fail because you can't claim ignorance of the rules.


    If anyone has any advice, I'd be very pleased to hear it.
Page 6
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 13th Jan 18, 5:29 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    I suggest you ring before 8am. Despite this being a very busy time I was answered promptly one day last week. Ignore the bit about voice recognition, you go through after the 3rd refusal. Tell them you want to deal with her affairs, they will ask her to confirm & give the phone back to you.

    I do this fairly regularly for a friend & it's always worked so far. I even give them the same false name every time, there is no way I want my real name associated with his somewhat chaotic affairs!
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 13th Jan 18, 6:01 PM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    As the charge is calculated on the higher earners income how could you have possible paid the correct amount in any year when your wife's income was higher.

    More likely she owes the charge and you are due a refund or that year (if it's possible to claim a refund in this slightly unusual situation)
    • MrChips
    • By MrChips 13th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    My understanding was that once you go over £60k, you have to pay it all back so it wouldn't make any difference who earned more?

    I made sure that I paid everything due, and I was usually the higher earner anyway.
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 13th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    • 23,973 Posts
    • 13,994 Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

454Posts Today

4,481Users online

Martin's Twitter