Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carlbhoy
    • By carlbhoy 17th Dec 17, 8:16 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 4Thanks
    carlbhoy
    Minimum earnings
    • 17th Dec 17, 8:16 PM
    Minimum earnings 17th Dec 17 at 8:16 PM
    Could anyone confirm, as I've read on this forum, that if you earn below £10000, you will not be automatically enrolled in the pension scheme, thanks
Page 1
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 17th Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    • 6,201 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 17th Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    • 17th Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    Going by regulartory requirements, yes:

http://www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/automatic-enrolment-earnings-threshold.aspx#s20250

"Earnings trigger for automatic enrolment" is £10,000… but once you hit it, anything from £5,876 (up to £45,000) is used to calculate the minimum amount.

But some companies may simplify by including everyone anyway, and take total salary into account.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • carlbhoy
    • By carlbhoy 17th Dec 17, 10:58 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    carlbhoy
    • 17th Dec 17, 10:58 PM
    • 17th Dec 17, 10:58 PM
    I am a limited company, work for myself, my wife is named as a secretary, simply because she is a housewife, my accountant tells me to pay her £680 a month, so what I'm really asking as she will be earning a salary of £8160, will she have to be enrolled?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 18th Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    • 90,300 Posts
    • 57,080 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 18th Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    • 18th Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    I am a limited company, work for myself, my wife is named as a secretary, simply because she is a housewife, my accountant tells me to pay her £680 a month, so what I'm really asking as she will be earning a salary of £8160, will she have to be enrolled?
    Originally posted by carlbhoy
    If it is just you two then you dont have to worry about auto-enrolment. Only if you have employees do you have to worry about it.

You can stick with your individual pension and make any company contributions you like to either of you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 18th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 1,919 Thanks
    greenglide
    • 18th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 18th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    I am a limited company, work for myself
    No , you don't.

You are a director of a limited company and you are employed by that company

The company is, I hope, paying employer contributions into pension schemes for both of you.

You would not, normally, make any employee contributions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

711Posts Today

6,946Users online

Martin's Twitter