To protect mental health, the MSE weekly email will no longer be sent between...

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Read Martin's "To protect mental health, the MSE weekly email will no longer be sent between midnight & 5am" Blog.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How very considerate.

I can't see people getting that excited about getting an MSE email in the early hours, but it's an easy thing to do, and sets a great example to other companies.

Good on yer!
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I don't know - if these people are going to be unable to sleep, awake, and tempted to shop - then I don't see the issue with MSE providing offers that save them money when doing so. Surely it'd be more annoying to find out 12hrs later that you could have saved money if the email had only been released earlier? ;)

(tongue firmly in cheek)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 27 November 2016 at 10:44PM
    Is it April 1st?

Typical Politically Correct BS.

Is someone now going to hold my hand in the supermarket as I anguish over the 7 different types of baked beans, whilst trying to find the correct one for tea.

God help us all !!!!
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • In this case, I'd rather miss a very limited special offer (& it doesn't get into the email unless the supplier confirms they can handle the volume) than cope with the fallout of a family member going wildly off the rails again.

Also, if MSE can do it, then other businesses might consider following suit & then the number of small hours panicky phone calls could drop. Which would be hugely appreciated.

I'm presuming you've read the blog post, robin58, & have had to cope with someone with mental health issues on the razzle?
  • robin58
    In this case, I'd rather miss a very limited special offer (& it doesn't get into the email unless the supplier confirms they can handle the volume) than cope with the fallout of a family member going wildly off the rails again.

Also, if MSE can do it, then other businesses might consider following suit & then the number of small hours panicky phone calls could drop. Which would be hugely appreciated.

I'm presuming you've read the blog post, robin58, & have had to cope with someone with mental health issues on the razzle?

To be honest I have actually read the Policy Note not the blog post.

I get emails before I go to bed. as you see I am up late. This is due to being in a job for 30 years which was slated anytime between a 12pm - 1am time slot. I can ignore these emails quiet easily.

The only thing I find with the report , is that it is based on too many 'papers' and not any new research by the people who wrote it.

So to me all this report was based on was research by others in the subject and not anything new. And to me 'experts' are not very reliable people e.g. Brexit and Usa Elections.

Also all those quotes in green, what are the sources?

As for my extended family, we had over the years our share of mental issues but unfortunately it was more to do with 4 kids and the lack of money than having too much to spend.

Perhaps the institute can now write a report on how the forums are influencing people to buy things. Unlike the weekly email, this is 24/7.

Moving the email release time is like a spit in the wind. And to be honest shows the shallowness of this site and the institute.
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Cordy
    Cordy Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Well done Martin. I had not recognised this as a problem either, but as a user of mental health services I remember now the feeling of anxiety if an 'important' email popped up during my long sleepless nights (the inability to differentiate being one of the symptoms). I don't remember inappropriate spending, but the feeling of never being on top of stuff was ever present.
  • Cordy
    First Anniversary
    robin58 wrote: »
    Is it April 1st?

Typical Politically Correct BS.

Is someone now going to hold my hand in the supermarket as I anguish over the 7 different types of baked beans, whilst trying to find the correct one for tea.

God help us all !!!!

Unfortunately Robin, this is exactly the type of dilemma that can cause hours of worry. I hope you never have to experience it!
  • robin58
    Cordy wrote: »
    Unfortunately Robin, this is exactly the type of dilemma that can cause hours of worry. I hope you never have to experience it!

What happened to self will.

Not everybody needs someone to run their life for them.

A life of hard knocks makes you grow as a person, than somebody doing it all for you because peoples are now 'snowflakes'.
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Cordy
    First Anniversary
    robin58 wrote: »
    What happened to self will.

Not everybody needs someone to run their life for them.

A life of hard knocks makes you grow as a person, than somebody doing it all for you because peoples are now 'snowflakes'.

Mmm, an interesting idea: making yourself well by using self will. Have you told the NHS? Such insight is wasted here on MSE.

I'm intrigued - how does self will help you when you're ill?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure