PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Brown Bread Ice Cream recipe wanted

My gran used to make this, (sounds disgusting but is really yummy!).  Does anyone know how to make it?  Seem to remember it had hazlenuts in it   :)
♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

Comments

• cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    my gran used to make this as well, so mum is phoning round asking everyone do they remember how she did it.

in the meantime I found this site

http://www.ice-cream-recipes.com/brown_bread_ice_cream.htm

and this one

http://www.icecream-recipes.com/icecream_recipe/brown_bread_ice_cream.htm
    16011996 Posts: 8,313
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    yep you're right sounds disgusting. :-X
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Noooo, tisn't really! It's sort of crunchy and caramelly and nutty...well it woz when my gran made it!!!!

Seem to remember you put fresh brown breadcrumbs and demerara sugar mixed together under the grill til crunchy, then whip double cream til fairly stiff, whip eggwhites...toast a few hazlenuts and then whack it all toether and freeze. No need to take it out, stir and re-freeze. Its just the quanities I have no idea about.

Ooooh I want some NOW!

[move]:D :D:D[/move]

• Allexie
    It's something i've always wanted to try , sounds yummy to me  :P

Just found THIS RECIPE which has hazelnuts in it

Thanks Sheel, that recipe sounds very similar apart from using yogurt instead of egg white. Might make it a bit more dense I guess but sounds more healthy without the uncooked egg whites.

Deffo going to have a go at this - thanks again :);):D ;D

Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mmm think i might have a bash. just won't tell the kids whats in it.
  • Allexie
    bet if you asked anyone to guess what's in it they'd never get it right

Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    hopefully not. still my kids have come to the conclusion its better just to eat it and not ask anyway.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,857
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    tried this yesterday
    actually daughter made it and it was yummy ;D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Allexie
    ooooh so jealous...not got around to it yet :-/

• This recipe is from Rosemary Moon's Ice Cream Machine Book

4 large egg yolks
    100g caster sugar
    425m milk
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    50g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
    300 ml double cream

Use the egss, sugar, milk & vanilla to make a custard (see below). Allow to cool then chill for at least 1 hour.

Toast the breadcrumbs in the oven or under the grill untill well brown and completely dry, tossing them over several times. Allow to cool completely. The crumbs should be very crisp, or they will become soggy in the ice cream.

Whip the (double) cream until soft & floppy, then fold it into the chilled custard along with the breadcrumbs. Freeze-churn until ready to serve.

**Custard
    Whisk the egg yolks & sugar together until thick & pale. Do this with a fork so that the mixture is not too frothy - it will take some time!

Heat the milk almost to boiling piont then pour it onto the egg/sugar mixture, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon.

Return the mixture to the pan and heat gently, stirring continuously until the custard just coats the back of the spoon - do not cook for too long or the eggs will start to scramble/curdle.

Leave until cold, the mixture will cool quicker if transferred to a clean bowl, then stir in the vanilla.

Chill thoroughly for at least one hour.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure