SD card issue "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

So I bought a new micro SD card and I have put it in my laptop (using an adapter) and it doesn't show up in My Computer. I looked in Device Manager and there is a yellow triangle on SD Memory Card - I tried updating the drivers but it says they are up to date.

It says as Device Status: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Any ideas? It's a Samsung 32 Evo+ if that helps.
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is the reader compatible with a 32GB SD card?

Try the reader without the memory card, still an exclamation mark? If so you need to install the drivers for it.

If the problem only occurs with the card entered then try a new reader.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    I used the adapter that came with it and put it directly into the laptop. I tried another one and had the same result. If I plug it in without the card nothing shows up at all in device manager.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Has it been in a phone? or have you tried it in a phone/tablet ?
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • rsvtoddy
    rsvtoddy Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you've got a digital camera that takes an SD card put it in the camera and format it, then try in the computer.
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Try this, it may work, and the site mention sdxc driver too?
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Also can you do in on your phone?
  • Chickabiddybex
    edited 29 March 2017 at 12:33PM
    I put the card in my phone, it recognised it immediately. I formatted it anyway. Put it in my laptop... still not working!

Tried another SD card and that again works in my phone but has the same error as before when I put it into the laptop.

Edit: I just tried it in another laptop and it worked fine so the issue is definitely with my laptop and not the card.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    SD card readers have a maximum size of card they can read. What is the maximum size your laptop can take?
  • Chickabiddybex
    How do I find that out?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    What laptop do you have? Search for the make/model and you should be able to find a specification that will hopefully confirm the maximum SD card capacity that can be used.
  • Update: figured out the problem. It was in fact the drivers. I manually downloaded them instead of letting it check for itself.

Thanks for the help everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure