EH - Keeping on track. (AKA focus Woman! FOCUS!)

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Ahh it's an odd one Cheery - as much as anything else it's not the thing of feeling that anyone *should* be going wild with excitement - but there is a level of courtesy there I guess, and I feel that to totally ignore something like that is a bit, well, odd. It just comes across as rather petulant and bitter, and this person is not someone I'd ever seen in that light before. (Although I guess when I come to think about it she IS someone who very much likes the focus to be on her, while vehemently denying that this is the case, so...!) :D

I've set myself a mini challenge to get blogging regularly again, which is all well and good but as ever when I do this I now have MASSES of stuff I want to write about, not least that there are now two Frugal Friday posts kicking around in my head. And of COURSE because that is the case, blogger is refusing to load up. Gah! (And as I typed that, it just did - hurrah!)

Shopped this morning, having first written the meal plan and a list. well, listS - one for ThaT supermarkeT and one for Aldi. However the second of those lists also included a mental note to see what was on the Super 6 offer, and as a result I got my onions from my T's list for 45p, plus leeks, Parsnips and a HUGE swede. That means that the first bit of the following week's meal plan is already written and will be stew. Nice easy slow cooker job for next weekend and will make 2 meals worth for the pair of us, at least. :T I was also delighted to see that Aldi have their bread flour back in stock - last time we looked there was no sign of it and that's a 20p saving a bag. I also had saisages on myb other list - given the choice between £2.50 for the ones we like in T's, and £1.39 in Aldi for some that looked broadly similar in quality (very high meat content, 100% UK pork) I decided we would try the Aldi ones. I will feed them to MrEH with no notification of the change and see what he says.

£11.24 in Aldi, £16.02 in T'other place. So a pricey-ish week (for us) but that included occasional buys like couscous, sesame seeds, frozen veg and cereal, as well as quite a lot of veg that will work into next week as well.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Smolly
    Smolly Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    EH - found you! I am just catching up on your diary and your commitment to pay back your debts is inspiring. Congratulations too on being mortgage free! DO NOT GO ANYWHERE! I think we all know we need you on here.

Take care and hope you are having a good evening xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98, Dec 16 £26,977.66, Jan 17 £26,884.76
    EF #205 £0/£1000
  • EssexHebridean
    Smolly wrote: »
    EH - found you! I am just catching up on your diary and your commitment to pay back your debts is inspiring. Congratulations too on being mortgage free! DO NOT GO ANYWHERE! I think we all know we need you on here.

Take care and hope you are having a good evening xx

:o Thank you - that's a lovely thing to say! Thanks for the congratulations too - I was driving along this morning and suddenly thought "we've got no mortgage! EEEEEK!" :rotfl::D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • EssexHebridean
    edited 7 October 2016 at 6:05PM
    Oh - further small update. Email from the provider of ISA 1 earlier on informing me that they are dropping interest rates from early next month. As the rate on ISA 2 will then be higher, AND it accepts transfers in, the time has come to combine the two I think. I've made a note in my Bullet(ish) Journal to sort that next month.

Also noted when checking things earlier: £11 in Nectar points to use, and £7.54 in points on my Boots card, too.

Also checked recently on my phone contract - although the contract isn't up until the spring, I'm entitled to an early upgrade from December, apparently. Need to start thinking about what the options are and which way i want to jump. I want to stay with EE ideally - I've been really happy with their service, but that will, I suspect, limit my options. Phone-wise I'll probably upgrade to the iPhone 6S.

Another another thing I forgot - used Clubcard vouchers to buy the tickets for me & MrEH for the Good Food Show next month. £16 in CC vouchers for the two, rather than over £42 if we'd bought them via online booking system.
    she/her
  • EssexHebridean
    Today's discovery is Sainsbury's Basics fish fingers. 65p for 10, and they make a fine sandwich!

A further discovery is that it's not easy to get big rolls of cheap sandwich bags any more. Everything now has to be self-seal, Ziplock or "tie handle" - which isn't terribly convenient. I;ve got a pack from Sainsbugs but there are only 40 bags in there, and that was 60p. We used to get a roll of 100 plus for £1. :(
    she/her
  • EssexHebridean
    Well two definite successes from the Aldi shop - the sausages were absolutely fine - I thought they were nice, MrEH said not that special but equal to other supermarket ones. I'll try either the Lincolnshire or the Pork & Apple ones next time. Also the granola I bought for work breakfasts I tried this morning and it's lovely - definitely as nice as the slightly more expensive Tesco one and I'd say probably as the Dorset Cereals one I was having before, too! Win!

Tonight is one of those nights in the week where I need adjustable meals - as in stuff that can be cooked separately, as MrEH has rugby training. So tonight he'll have an omelette, and I'll go for a repeat of Saturday's Buddha Bowl - brown rice, mushrooms, merguez chickpeas and a tahini & lemon dressing. Probably some toasted sesame seeds over the top, and maybe a thin single egg omelette shredded over - saturday's one went without that as it was a lunch, whereas this will be for a main meal.

Today will be a NSD. :T
    she/her
  • Smolly
    Smolly Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi EH, your Buddha Bowl meal sounds absolutely delicious. I have never heard of that before and sounds just like my sort of meal! I shall have to have a little 'google' later on.......

I also love Aldi sausages and their fishcakes (the ones with minted pea) are scrummy. I buy them as a treat for myself and my Mum when I'm in there.

Hope you are having a good day x
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98, Dec 16 £26,977.66, Jan 17 £26,884.76
    EF #205 £0/£1000
  • You need to take a look at Greying Pilgrim's diary Smolly - I can take no credit really! It is indeed delicious though - no question, and SOO easy!

Those fishcakes sound tasty too - I'll have to take a look next time I go in. We've not had an Aldi locally for all that long - and are now enjoying the experience as it's really making Lidl and T**** raise their game!
    she/her
  • A bit of "food organisation" happened last night. The rather tasty goat ragu which was s-l-o-w cooked on Sunday evening was portioned up.
    - a tub with two portions is in the fridge for tomorrow night's dinner for us both.
    - a tub with two portions in it is frozen for a meal at some stage in the next few weeks
    - a tub with a single portion in it is frozen for a meal for one of us over the next few weeks.
    I also remembered to get out the potato/squash & onion bakes that I made and froze the other week - they're now defrosting in the fridge and will sort Thursday night's dinner out.
    Tonight's dinner is sausage pasta using the final two sausages I cooked on Friday evening. That will also use up the last few mushrooms from this weeks supply. :T

Bought the Muller Corner "treats" yogurts to try last week as they were on offer for £1 a pack but won't be bothering again - they're alright, but nothing special, Frankly the T's own brand 6 for £1 fruit ones are probably nicer.

We've got the builder coming in on Friday to finish the final bits of snagging on the bathroom - it'l be nice to have the light-switch attached to the ceiling at last! :rotfl: He's also meant to be re-building the inside of our airing cupboard - it had to be stripped out when the new immersion heater cylinder was fitted so it'll be nice to have that back to being fully useable again. I need to think about shelf layout.

As the builder will be occupied with that I'll take myself out to our "local" Morrisons to get the shopping I think - I only got reminded recently that we have one as close as we do - it's about 6 miles away I think so that's achievable and I do like shopping at Morrisons. :T

I used my own car for work today so will be heading home in time to get some odd jobs done at home - in fact there will still hopefully be a little daylight so I might even be able to do something outside. Bird feeders to be filled, possibly. I've probably just jinxed myself for traffic now though haven't I! :rotfl:

Yesterday was a NSD and today should be also so far as I can think.
    she/her
  • I remember NSD;s they appear to have happened before DS arrived back home.

:D

Well done on tasty delights.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income