PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question re slow cooker - how hot should it get

Options
Question re slow cooker - how hot should food get

My mother has recently given me her old slow cooker. I have only used it twice and each time I felt that the casserole was not hot enough. I had to heat up in the microwave before serving.

Is this normal?

Mother had lost the instruction/receipe book for the slow cooker and I have never used one before, so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• TAG
    TAG Posts: 2,823 Forumite
    Options
    Mine gets very warm. I don't need to heat anything through just serve straight from the slow cooker. I always use it on low. Don't mean to be rude but are you sure your using it on the correct setting. Maybe you have it on 'keep warm'?
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    With older slow cookers you need to switch them on for about 20 minutes to warm up and make sure that you are adding boiling liquid to the meat and veg or whatever you are cooking.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think the elements must have gone or something. I have older SC's and even if I don't pre-warm and use boiling liquid, my food is still piping hot when it comes out.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    How long had you been cooking everything for? I have my SC on for most of the day when i cook something from scratch, and at least half a day if im warming something up. I normally cook on low also.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    May I sugest you put some water in it and leave it on overnight, 10/12 hrs and see what happens.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • joe13
    joe13 Posts: 501 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions.

I only have a choice of high or low settings. I have had it on high trying to get it hotter. I have already been putting boiling water in to start.
    I will try ariba10's suggestion. If that does not work then I guess it is time to buy a new one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure