Car Tax Reminder

Comments

• sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Strider590 wrote: »
    ^^ Need to call the DVLA and maybe even write a letter, COVER YOUR BACK!!! else the next thing your hear from the DVLA will be an unavoidable fine.

I will :)

I intend to tax my car with the V5 Logbook anyway, so doesn't really affect me - but will be making sure they haven't got the address wrong on the database even though my address hasn't change since getting my last reminder - as I know the wrong address can result in a automatic fine.

Do you know of a LoCal rate number to get them at? or am I stuck with the normal 0845 lovely number?
  • I taxed mine online as soon as the reminder came. That way I had nearly a whole month for the disc to come in the post. So plenty of time to chase it up if it hadn't of arrived within the time they stated.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    sassy-one wrote: »
    Do you know of a LoCal rate number to get them at? or am I stuck with the normal 0845 lovely number?

It is actually an 0870 number, my telephone supplier doesn't charge me for 0845 or 0870 numbers, not sure why yours does.

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Contact+Us
  • sassy_one
    Forumite
    I will need to call them in the week, either way I much prefer doing my taxing at the Post Office.

I don't have a land line - only a mobile ;)

Reason I may not have received it could be the same reason as to why last month I received a local letter dated January 20th of this year in July this year - strange
  • dannymccann
    dannymccann Posts: 567 Forumite
    If I dont buy it online I go into my local DVLA office to get it, really CBA queuing at the post office for about 2 hours while someone collects their pension then has a natter about what they did for the last week after receiving last weeks pension etc etc

O, and the people that queue to send greetings card from the counter - what the hell is that about?! Go to Superdrug and buy some stamps and then put them in one of those big red boxes you see every 0.5 miles on the side of the road
  • sassy_one
    Forumite
    If I dont buy it online I go into my local DVLA office to get it, really CBA queuing at the post office for about 2 hours while someone collects their pension then has a natter about what they did for the last week after receiving last weeks pension etc etc

O, and the people that queue to send greetings card from the counter - what the hell is that about?! Go to Superdrug and buy some stamps and then put them in one of those big red boxes you see every 0.5 miles on the side of the road

Hmmmm........... Still no Tax reminder and due the end of this month.

I am now wondering if to leave ringing DVLA and just taxing with my V5, as a call to them will cost me and I will be passed from one to another !

Can't understand why I have not received mine yet - got it last time fine!

And regards the Post Office and people posting cards - no comment but agree, but heyho!
  • sassy-one wrote: »
    Hmmmm........... Still no Tax reminder and due the end of this month.

I am now wondering if to leave ringing DVLA and just taxing with my V5, as a call to them will cost me and I will be passed from one to another !

Can't understand why I have not received mine yet - got it last time fine!

And regards the Post Office and people posting cards - no comment but agree, but heyho!

Tax it online now via the https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk website using your car reg and the doc ref number off the V5. You don't need the reminder.

I can't be bothered with Post Office either. The local one doesn't do tax discs, so have to go to main Post Office in town which is always busy with 2 people serving out of about 6 counters. And they are selling lottery tickets, sweets and biscuits in between so taking up double the time!
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have two cars to tax at the end of August.

One reminder came yesterday.

TBH I was surprised to receive it so early in the month.
  • sassy_one
    Forumite
    Just a update

I today received my reminder, so no need for ringing DVLA as I thought I would end up having too.

:)

Thank's to all that offered help/advice :D

Have a good weekend
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Mine arrived today too. They are obviously a little behind this month.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure