SKI-er or Sk-ater. We know how to enjoy ourselves

Options

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    missile - you're a bloke!:eek:

I thought you were female like most of us here!

Sorry about that.

Anyway we used to go biking a lot in our 20s and then when our son came along we couldn't get three on a bike (OK, I know they do in Spain!), so the next lot of biking we did was in our early 50s when we bought a 20-year-old BMW.

This was one of the things that had to be sacrificed so that we could afford to buy the house in Spain outright.

My husband is now looking at getting a Motoguzzi. Either a Californian or a Nevada. We want to tour UK and Europe on it.

Whatever we get, an overweight nearly 60-year-old shortR$e like me has to be able to get on the back (so, not too high!).

Would appreciate your thoughts.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • CAE
    CAE Posts: 644 Forumite
    Options
    EdInvestor wrote: »
    I am more of a Skater than a Skier, not having any kids, with a team of similarly situated friends. So far this year we have had a month in Tenerife in Jan-Feb (to be repeated, what wonderful sunshine, not to mention fresh fish :) ) and an Easter excursion to Chichester in West Sussex.

The South of France out of season also looks interesting for later in the year.

Where are all your favourite spots?

Ed - Hope you enjoyed your trip to my home town of Chichester.

Carol
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SDW,

Easy mistake, I am often called a big girls blouse.

There are so many good bikes, it is down to personal choice which is "best". Not a choice I would recommend, but I know one girl 5ft 4in and in her late 60s who rides pillion on a BMW R1200GS, like Ewan McGreggor rode round the world. The guzzi is a fine motorcycle with a lot of character. The obvious choice for a tourer is a Honda Pan European or if you want to fly the flag, you could consider a Triumph Sprint.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    CAE wrote: »
    Ed - Hope you enjoyed your trip to my home town of Chichester.

Carol

Hello Carol

Yes, had an excellent time, visited the cathedral, walked around the city walls and toured a gallery with a terrific collection of modern art. Also enjoyed several good meals.;)

Battling the snow on the Saturday gave me an good excuse to buy a new hat, got a wicked brown corduroy trilby to go with my new suede coat. Very good bit of skating, that:T :D
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • cornerstone13
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm SKI-ing upwards (if that's the right expression) - taking my elderly Mum on a trip to Jersey next month, as she's always wanted to go. So she'll SKI and I'll SKI and a good time will be had by all.

If any of you have been, can you recommend places to visit ? We are hiring a car and she is not too mobile and gets tired easily. We both love gardens but wonder if she might find that a bit much. Also any ideas of the best places to visit in case of rain - we have three days.

Thanks
  • cornerstone13
    Options
    Hmm - emptying the loft. Now my theory is, the more junk that's up there, the better the insulation is and the more money we save on heating. Can't think of a good reason not to tackle the garage though unless, of course, we bought a nice little soft top which would have to be kept inside.

We plan to downsize in 5 years time - have to do it then, I guess. But in the meantime, out of sight ...........
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks Missile! The Pan-European is already on his list! Anf he's making 'hmmmm' noises about the Sprint.

Thanks very much for all your advice.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Francophile
    Francophile Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    tanith wrote: »
    Must be Spring in the air or something similar, we had a new loft-ladder installed a couple of weeks ago and on Monday morn I thought well its now or never, so I got myself up in the loft and took one look and nearly came down again, but I steeled my 'feint heart' and first threw down the huge Christmas Tree that we brought with us from our old house (its too big for this house) then started on the two 3ft piles of Computer mags my son put up there.. you won't believe how heavy they were... anyway I got one whole carload down on Monday and made a whole lot of space up there... there is maybe another carload but I left that for another day but god did my butt cheeks ache the next day it must of been all that up and down the ladder...:rotfl:

When the loft is finished there is another place I need to go look at THE GARAGE.... I can't even imagine all the stuff in there ....:eek:
    Good for you. You've made a start. That's always the hardest bit.
    Member #7 SKI-ers Club
    Norn Ireland Club Member 215
  • Francophile
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    It is mostly old duffers like me who ride bigger motorcycles here. I guess the youngsters can't afford the insurance.

Most of us are (well) over fifty, some girls and a mixture of nationalities - Brits, Germans, Scandinavians but only one spanniard (fortunately he owns a pub)

My wife is terrified of motorcycles and it was only after many years, she eventually gave in and told me to go buy one.
    My DH has done his own bit of SKI-ing. He has recently at the age of 56 passed his motorcycle test and has bought himself a bright shiny cruiser which is now his pride and joy. He had to get all the leather gear etc and I would say it's a mid life crisis but I thought he's a bit past that. I'm just waiting for him to grow the ponytail now. I think the children think there is no fool like an old fool and that he is really loosing his marbles, but if it keeps him happy why not. You never know maybe I'll get the leathers as well and go pillion. Now that really would be a sight to behold:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Member #7 SKI-ers Club
  • Francophile
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    May I suggest you visit Denia, where you will find an excellent beach, a port, a castle to visit and some nice shops. A freind of mine owns a hotel there > http://www.hostalloreto.com/index_eng.html
    Thanks Missile. I do intend to visit Denia.
    Member #7 SKI-ers Club
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family