PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Comments

• Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Welcome to all the newbies - this site is soooo addictive, I hope you've all got lots of time on your hands for sitting at a comp!

I love a quiet hour on here first thing in a morning (while having my breakfast - hence the marmalade on the keyboard :o) and again late in the evening when I've finished my catch-up with my (other) favourite sites. Also manage to sneak half an hour during the day IF I manage to find time for a lunch hour - I work from home, which can help!

Best of Luck to you all with your OSing and moneysaving routines. Everytime I go whoopsie hunting, I look at other shoppers and find myself wondering if any of them are from this site :rolleyes:. Often find myself sneaking a peek into other people's baskets/trolleys to see if they've got white vinegar and/or soda crystals :rotfl:.
  • I'm Caroline, 35, married with 2 children.

OH works but I am on temporary contract which ends on Dec 1st. I'm looking for something else though.

We are hoping to save enough so we have some savings for a rainy day and can over pay our mortgage.
  • Welcome, Caroline and all the newbies. This is a helpful, friendly place. :) I'm saving for our wedding and the future. :) I love cooking and planning, but still need to get better at it. I try to look at MSE every day when I get in from work and before the OH gets home - that way I can look through the useful suggestions and take part in the Grocery Challenge and the Meal Plans :)
    Continually trying the Grocery Challenge. Gotta keep trying!
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Welcome Caroline - good luck with the job hunting! What a lousy time for your contract to come to an end, just before Christmas.

Hope you can find some good hints and tips on here - this site has helped me no end in the past 18mths :D.
  • Hi I'm 35, I work full time for 37.5 hours a week and 2 hours car commute each day. I am single and have a one year old mortgage, lots of debt and loans. I fritter money and I'm trying to learn a new way of life. I am addicted to the OS as it fits in with my way of thinking, at least I don't have to change this section of my brain.

I am fugal with the heating and water heating, have checked out a water meter is no cheaper for me, reduced my mobile contract to £15 pm from £30, changed elec and gas supplier and gone dual fuel. I have bye bye standbyes on alsmost everything and energy saving bulbs galore. I always look for thrifty cuts of meat because I love cooking them in an OS in my cast iron casserole pots. It is my frittering of money on things I don't need that ruins me and I will change this part of me as I cannot go on in this way and I'm so envious of everyone who says their debt is reducing.

I am a long time weekly email receiver but avoided the forum for some reason for years. Now tho' I can't stop reading the OS threads!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • Hello!
    I'm Sarah, 27, Just moved up to Scotland (thanks to all OS's on the Scotland board that have helped me already!)
    Lucky enough in the current climate to be in a good job, but have realised that i really need to cut down on the excess spending that doesnt get me anywhere and start being a little more "grown up" about things!

Spent the last few days reading posts on here and cant believe some of the "games" my mum played with us were actually due to having no cash (eg playing hunt the bent can in the supermarket) and actually feel quite sick that she brought my sister and I up on less than I earn...I have myself to keep and end up in my overdraft every month. I love her so much more now =0)

I'm going o concentrate hard on cutting back and saving hard so I can get her some treats and out some away for when she is older to look after her properly like she is doing with my Grandad just now (shes not even 50 yet....but...lol!)

Have a good evening,

Sarah
    x
  • Hi everyone,

I have been lurking for a few months now, so it's time to introduce myself. I'm a 40-year old :eek: part-time translator & market researcher and mum to a 6-year old pink princess. OH runs his own business and in the current climate that can be a bit of a worry sometimes.

I have been inspired by the threads on OS and have made a start figuring out where all the money goes each month. We got an allotment in March which over the summer gave us lots of our veg and I have started baking my own bread - got some proving as we speak. I was already cooking from scratch most of the time as I love cooking (kookgekje = cooking mad in Dutch) and have a cookbook collection to rival most bookstores:D.

So... hi everyone.
    :cheesy::cheesy: Cheese… milk's leap toward immortality :cheesy: :cheesy:
    Clifton Fadiman
    Feb'11 - GC: £105.89/£125 - NSD: 15:j
    Mar'11 GC: £3.84/£100 - NSD: 0
  • Hi Kookgekje
    Welcome!!! Lots of advice here..I'm a keen follower of the Grocery Challenge but all the threads are brilliant!! You won't look back
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • turfy6
    turfy6 Posts: 1,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Im a fairly newbie and managing to get a few posts up now. Im 46 married with three children ages 15, 12 and 7 living the good life in Ireland. OH is self employed joiner and we have cat dog and chickens. We have a polytunnel for summer veggies sweetcorn tomatoes beetroot and strawberries. Hoping to do more veg nex summer. Have had loads of advice and ideas from this site its brilliant. I love the OS board and can be find there most days. In the current climate its comforting to know we are all in the same boat and can get help from all the great people on here. Im a stay at home mum but have done some childminding for extra pennies may look for a cleaning job soon too I could go armed with Stardrops lol:rotfl:
    Visa £[STRIKE]5063 [/STRIKE]now 0. Loan 1 €[STRIKE]4885[/STRIKE] now 0. Loan 2 €29,590 now €0 as of 22/02/2016 Mgage €55000/ €23,639 at 01/02/18
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW Nerd 1209 Keep on keeping on folks DFD FEB 2016 MGE FREE 2024 (hopefully earlier)
  • Hi to all, i am a very very newbie, who is is jumping from pillar to post, i have only just joined this forum, my first, had one posting, yeah, which worked, up untill a few months ago i couldnt even turn a laptop on and now the world/mse is my oyster!!!!!!
    I am a 50++++ woman who lives in the far far north of scotland, works full time as does hubby, and enjoying this new hobby:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure