Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2017

Options

Comments

• somerandom
    Options
    A pair of Seasalt leggings £22.00 (I can't tell you how rarely I buy anything full price - but I LOVE the colour) - T Shirt - Sale SaltRock - £5 - A brand new gym top from CS - £2 - 6 prs of brand new socks from CS £3
    Shifting my energy for 2020 :heart::heart::heart:
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Oh dear...the Shein items arrived...and they fit well / are well made for the price...and i've ordered a pair of trousers from there now.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £3.99 on a m&s denim jacket from a chazza
    £8.05 on two pairs of m&s shoes saving £56.40 using a voucher and 10% off code.

Total year spend = £17.92 on clothing items (or £21.87 if you include postage on a free item)
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Eltee12
    Eltee12 Posts: 768 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hello

Bought a dress, not sure if for work or not, but £25

total for #11 is now £232.99/£300

need undies so that will see off the remaining budget I expect.

oooh, just remembered have a gift card lurking from birthday, hurrah! New jeans here I come :j

El

2018 AFD 23/240
    2018 CCC #11 £38.40/£250
    Mortgage-free since 2013

Debt-free since Nov 2017
  • Miss_D_Meanour
    Options
    You know you need a new coat when you keep finding small pieces of black shiny material on the floor and finally track them back to the inner lining of your winter coat. Looked up the cost of the exact replacement - £100. Went onto Amazon, downgraded one level - £32.

You know you need new winter boots when your feet get soaked within 2 minutes of the rain starting and you look at the soles and find a gianormous crack across both shoes. Put up with them for 2 more weeks while I shopped around - £35.

Finally replaced some thick black tights that were wearing a little thin - £8

#9 New total £122 / £150

Cannot believe I have kept within budget so far this year. But it's not over yet!

Take care and have a great weekend
    Miss DM
    LBM- June 2009 - 15 year plan started, Dec 2018 - time to review & refocus
    SPC12 #33 £210. Xmas 2019 - #15 £365 / £365 ... PAYDBX 2019 #23: £0 / £3,400
    MFW2019 #2: £6,999.67 / £8,000 MFiT-T5 start £95,352.52 - target £40k

No matter how far you go, you always take yourself with you
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 October 2017 at 1:22PM
    Options
    You know you need a new coat when you keep finding small pieces of black shiny material on the floor and finally track them back to the inner lining of your winter coat. Looked up the cost of the exact replacement - £100. Went onto Amazon, downgraded one level - £32.

You know you need new winter boots when your feet get soaked within 2 minutes of the rain starting and you look at the soles and find a gianormous crack across both shoes. Put up with them for 2 more weeks while I shopped around - £35.

Finally replaced some thick black tights that were wearing a little thin - £8

#9 New total £122 / £150

Cannot believe I have kept within budget so far this year. But it's not over yet!

Take care and have a great weekend
    Miss DM

Great stuff Miss D M, hopefully you'll not have any other emergencies this year. Comes in threes as they say so you should be in the clear.

Edited to add: I did order the above coat and PJ's, but sent the PJ's back :A

Thankfully I didn't have to add the entire delivery charge to my clothes budget, as I also bought a Christmas present and some Christmas labels.
  • *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve gone way over budget. I’ve continued to make lots of my new clothes but overspent on thermals from marks (I usually wear them every day from about September to April). Trying not to spend any more this year!
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • rachlikeswinter
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    Next year (if we are all up for a 2018 challenge?)

Hey everyone - definitely up for this challenge for next year! Feel like it may be too late to ‘officially’ start now, but I’ve kind of been following a no-spend type ethos this year, for a variety of reasons..
    - I went on a snowboard season last winter where I bought nothing – except alcohol :beer: – for 5 months and didn’t miss a single thing. Before that I’d probably spent about a grand of clothes in the previous year?! Madness
    - I hit 30 this year which means I freaked out :eek: so now I’m saving like crazy for a house deposit! So I’m scrutinising everything I buy now..
    - Since realising I don’t need to buy endless stuff to be a valid human, I’m sort of interested in/skirting round the idea of living with less - or more accurately, rejecting mindless consumerist spending/materialism. I hate the term ‘minimalism’ because of all it’s privileged connotations but.. you know. That vibe.
    - I used to blow my wages on clothes and ended up with a tonne of poor quality fast fashion and a bunch of credit card debt (nearly gone yay!)
    - I’m trying to run headlong into a more all-round ethical lifestyle (I’m vegan) and I can’t in good conscience support the wholly unethical fashion industry anymore by buying said fast fashion... although no-one is perfect and I'm not going to start wearing hemp hareem pants :rotfl:

The majority of the clothes I’ve bought since coming back from France has been on eBay.. better for the planet and my bank account, all that jazz
    The clothes I have bought full price / high street has been surprisingly few and far between – I think it has genuinely been a pair of jeans from ASOS (not ethical.. agh), a jumper from lululemon (vaguely ethical..ish) and a bikini (made from recycled bottles so that’s kind of rad). I’m sure there must be more though. I work for a big luxury retailer right now so temptation is EVERYWHERE

I’m going back to France in December until April – I then have THREE (count ‘em) hen parties and weddings to go to when I come back which all require some form of nice clothing.. while trying to find a job again.. wish me luck on that one =/

So I’ll be around! Really interesting to read how everyone has been getting on this year. You’re all very inspiring!
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey everyone - definitely up for this challenge for next year! Feel like it may be too late to ‘officially’ start now, but I’ve kind of been following a no-spend type ethos this year, for a variety of reasons..
    - I went on a snowboard season last winter where I bought nothing – except alcohol :beer: – for 5 months and didn’t miss a single thing. Before that I’d probably spent about a grand of clothes in the previous year?! Madness
    - I hit 30 this year which means I freaked out :eek: so now I’m saving like crazy for a house deposit! So I’m scrutinising everything I buy now..
    - Since realising I don’t need to buy endless stuff to be a valid human, I’m sort of interested in/skirting round the idea of living with less - or more accurately, rejecting mindless consumerist spending/materialism. I hate the term ‘minimalism’ because of all it’s privileged connotations but.. you know. That vibe.
    - I used to blow my wages on clothes and ended up with a tonne of poor quality fast fashion and a bunch of credit card debt (nearly gone yay!)
    - I’m trying to run headlong into a more all-round ethical lifestyle (I’m vegan) and I can’t in good conscience support the wholly unethical fashion industry anymore by buying said fast fashion... although no-one is perfect and I'm not going to start wearing hemp hareem pants :rotfl:

The majority of the clothes I’ve bought since coming back from France has been on eBay.. better for the planet and my bank account, all that jazz
    The clothes I have bought full price / high street has been surprisingly few and far between – I think it has genuinely been a pair of jeans from ASOS (not ethical.. agh), a jumper from lululemon (vaguely ethical..ish) and a bikini (made from recycled bottles so that’s kind of rad). I’m sure there must be more though. I work for a big luxury retailer right now so temptation is EVERYWHERE

I’m going back to France in December until April – I then have THREE (count ‘em) hen parties and weddings to go to when I come back which all require some form of nice clothing.. while trying to find a job again.. wish me luck on that one =/

So I’ll be around! Really interesting to read how everyone has been getting on this year. You’re all very inspiring!

I too am trying to make more ethical fashion choices and have a more sustainable lifestyle. I also am rejecting consumerism by not buying things and instead investing in experiences.

Not sure if I posted on here about this already but I decided to have a bra fitting at M&S as I have suspected my bra's aren't fitting as well as they should. Sure enough it turns out I have been wearing the wrong size for, oh, about 5 years. My chest, to quote Shakira, is 'small and humble' so I wasn't worried about sagging but wanted bra's that fit properly. Spent £34 at M&S on 4 T Shirt bra's and it is a revelation how well they fit and how good my profile is.

I highly recommend getting a fitting done. Apparently a fitting is recommended every 6 months.

Total Spend on clothes this year is £59.87
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Rachlikeswinter

Sorry I've only just seen your post - haven't been reporting to the thread as much since I've been finally succeeding in not buying anything!

I'd be happy to add you if you'd like to join, otherwise I look forward to seeing you on the next challenge.

I'm below my 2016 budget and have exceeded my 2017 so I think I'll go straight down the middle for 2018.

Hope I don't spend much cash in the upcoming Sainsbury's double up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure