Orange PAYG changes

I've been on Orange Pay As You Go for as long as I've had a mobile phone. The deal was that for every £50 I topped up I would get an extra £5. Lately, I've had to ask for that £5 as they "forgotten" and now I get a text from them saying, "Hi from Orange. From 29 April 2009 we're removing 10% bonus with £50 top up. £50 top up will still give you £5 into your Phone Fund. Go online orange.co.uk/fund."

This is the first I've heard of any "Phone Fund" and it's as much use to me as a roof rack on a helicopter.

I've been more than a little concerned over recent times that companies like Orange are trying to push Pay As You Go customers into Contracts. I don't want a Contract! You wonder what the point of a contract is if one side can change it just like that (*snaps fingers*) without a reason why.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and did you find out why? also, can someone recommend a good PAYG deal. I'm happy with my phone as I get it second hand from a friend every year.

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    ASDA Mobile (using Vodafone's network) is a really good deal at the moment, 8p/min to anyone fixed or mobile UK, and 4p texts.
  • this phone fund has to be claimed within a year, if you're on payg and only top up a tenner a month you'd never save enough for a decent phone from orange in that time, more likely you get hand me downs or buy factory refurbs in shops anyway. what a disgraceful ploy to stay within the letter not the spirit of the law and claim to be passing the vat cut to consumers. most won't claim, as a nice hand set is unobtainable with 12 months phone fund@£10 pm (basic), so ultimately orange can pocket the cash. hopefully skype/broadband will kill mobile firms and these kinds of outright cons.
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have just discovered a wonderful new gimmick from orange top up by £10 and get £5 air time!!! Rang to sort it out and told no I only topped up by £5 - I have the b***dy voucher in front of me! Told I was shouting and got put on hold for 15 mins before I realised I'd been dumped and put the phone down, now every time I try and ring the phone cuts off once I put my 4 figure number in!! I know a fiver isn't much in the great scheme of things but I am well peed off and it's the last money orange will get out of me. (I don't shout on the phone, I am a sweet grey haired old lady!!).
    Slightly bitter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport