Currys Whateverhappens Warranty - Any good

Currys Whateverhappens Warranty is this any good, is it worth taking this out with a new £1000 LCD ?

Is it just mechanical cover or does it cover Accidental damage as well (we have 3 not so good kids in the house :) )

Anyone in the know or has used this ?

Comments

• Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Check to see if your contents insurance includes accidental damage for electricals (normally included unlike accidental damage for crystal etc), we had a beaker full of squash go all over our TV and video and our contents insurer paid up for this (we did not pay the add-on for accidental damage).
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • goggins1977
    goggins1977 Posts: 562 Forumite
    We took out the insurance when we bought our TV which cost over £3000 within the 1st 2 years the TV broke ,and they were unable to fix it we got to go into store and pick a brand new TV ,the prices had come down alot in the 2 years so we were able to get a bigger TV ,£400 back and the extended warranty for another 5 years ,i keep my fingers crossed everyday that the same thing happens again...in our case it was well worth taking out the warranty.....
    Will this hammy hunt ever end ???
    So far all 4 hamsters £40,3 beds £15,Skate board and u turn £22,House £25 total £97.00 ....still wanting wheel,car,slide,ball,surf board ....
    HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERY ONE :rotfl:
  • dellboy102
    dellboy102 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Its brilliant, my £99 laser printer was covered under whateverhappens "instant replacement", it broke down, i took it in and got to choose a better model.

Used it on a washing machine ages ago and it was good, but havent used it on bigger appliances for a long while.
  • CrazySaver
    CrazySaver Posts: 107 Forumite
    Thanks for the info, anyone used it for accidental. Main reason I am asking is I have contents Ins but not accidental. So was trying to find out if this whateverhappens would cover me for accidental (as there is no exess to pay and no knock on affect on premiums).

Those that have used it, was the turnaround quite quick?
  • dellboy102
    dellboy102 Posts: 609 Forumite
    yep, they collected my laptop the next day (they guarentee to collect within 2 days I believe) and within a week it was fixed, it does cover accidental as I had knocked the screen and it cracked.

However it only covers accidental if item value is over £130, otherwise its covered as instant replacement (which does not cover accidental damage).

PS if you are going to have it for a long period like 3 years or 5 years dont buy the PAYG option, go for the 3 years or 5 years, you can also pay that monthly in 10 installments, its interest free and works out cheaper then PAYG.

Hope this helps
  • CrazySaver
    Thanks, have purchased the 5year one, but have 14days to decide if I want to keep it :)
  • rustybucket
    rustybucket Posts: 277 Forumite
    I'm sorry but I will never ever shop at Currys/Comet ect ever again.

I had a nightmare with a six month old fridge freezer (expensive one as well) which broke down last November. They wouldn't exchange it, had to wait 6 weeks for the manufacturer to repair the item.

Buy from John Lews, same price and better after sales etc.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    CrazySaver wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, anyone used it for accidental. Main reason I am asking is I have contents Ins but not accidental. So was trying to find out if this whateverhappens would cover me for accidental (as there is no exess to pay and no knock on affect on premiums).Those that have used it, was the turnaround quite quick?

Please check your contents insurance, maybe I didn't explain before; in a lot of cases contents insurance includes free accidental damage insurance for major electricals. We have never bought additional accidental damage insurance but have claimed for damaged TV and video.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    How much did you pay for the warranty at Currys ?

You should have haggled as they will give a discount on the goods especially when paying £1k, did you check out the price of the TV at Currys.co.uk as it may be alot cheaper, dont want you to get ripped off.
  • CrazySaver
    deanos wrote: »
    How much did you pay for the warranty at Currys ?

You should have haggled as they will give a discount on the goods especially when paying £1k, did you check out the price of the TV at Currys.co.uk as it may be alot cheaper, dont want you to get ripped off.

Appreciate the advice :)

Samsung LE40M86DBX TV on Currys web site was £1075, Instore Price was £1299.
    Price Matched Empire Direct and then haggled and got this down to £960
    Warranty was supposed to be £280
    Haggled and got this for £190

Paid £1150 for the whole lot.

While I was there got them to throw in a Scart switcher for half price (still got some old stuff I need to connect) and walked away with a new digital camera which was supposed to be £159 but as the charger was missing managed to get this for £80 :)

Have I been ripped off or do you reckon I did OK ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure