S R J Debt Recoveries, Client: Phoenix (Littlewoods)

Comments

• gargrave50
    gargrave50 Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    I have been hounded by S & J Recoveries and others similar for several years now.

This is how I have dealt with them.

I live in a shared house. This means that their bailiffs have no right of entry as the entry is shared.

That means IF (and we all know this won't happen) they do come round then they will be denied entry.

It is that simple.

I have a friend who on my behalf always emails these creeps abuse pointing out to them two things:

a. they have no power of arrest/entry
    b. they are a laughing stock

They cannot touch me because I am a foreign student. If the worst really came to the worst then all I have to do is change address.
    In reality with violent crimes etc on the rise do they or you REALLY think the police will come looking?

Of course not.

Anyway they have no photograph so if anyone comes round I simply 'cannot speak English'

Easy money

I have to say your attitude is disappointing. If you are a foreign student then why do you see fit to take goods without the need to pay - as you put it "easy money". People on here are genuinely struggling with debt, and are trying to make repayments in these difficult circumstances. People abusing credit like yourself, make it more difficult for the rest of us to have repayment plans accepted by DCA's, as they are being stung time and time again by people like yourself. Its inappropriate to put such a callous comment like yours on a forum like this.
    LBM 30/6/9 Unsecured debts [STRIKE]£25,323.48[/STRIKE] £0 :T Debt free
    Left for life Down Under 4th August 2012 - living frugally and have learned my lessons :j:j:j:j
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    T_Jones wrote: »
    I've had some dealings with SRJ. How do they get away with it? They sent numerous letters saying I'd changed addresses and they've tracked me down (I'm an OAP who have not moved for years) and saying I owned this company who I'd hardly heard off. maybe becuase my name is common they didn't do their homework. But they seem to attack anybody and hope they can frighten them. Then they started phoning me day and night - isn't that harassement and a criminal offence? I had to get BT to bar their number. Yet the go on sending me letters. Nobody in authority seems to have the guts to tackle this company. It seems I'll have to spend out a lot of money to get my solicitor to contact them. Why is it necessary? Is there no control over these people? Where are the police and the OFT?

Hi

You need to report them to the OFT and Trading Standards. The OFT have put two credit agencies into special measures recently, one of them for exactly this sort of activity.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • T_Jones_2
    T_Jones_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    RAS wrote: »
    Hi

You need to report them to the OFT and Trading Standards. The OFT have put two credit agencies into special measures recently, one of them for exactly this sort of activity.

Thanks. I have reported them. The Trading Standards are a wasted space - they just reply with a Govt Direct call centre - tea and comfort to tackle people that act like bullies. I bet SRJ just laugh at them. The OFT say they will look into it. I told them to go surf the web and see how much trouble SRJ cause.

How can these people send out letters like this? Shouldn't the law protect the ordinary person. I've asked them to show me details of this debt, knowing it has nothing to do with me. Just because I have a common name why should I be harassed? Where are the police in all of this.

My health is none too good, but I won't be pushed around and threatened like this. I wonder how much pain and distress SRJ have caused to the old and sick? What a country this is becoming. Millions spent on our public services and yet people are allowed to employ any methods.
  • T_Jones_2
    T_Jones_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I heard today from the OFT and they are going to look at my complaint about SRJ - I've sending them all the details
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    T_Jones wrote: »
    I heard today from the OFT and they are going to look at my complaint about SRJ - I've sending them all the details

Please keep us fully informed.

For future information you can read the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines (and download a copy) on the following link:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • ice_fairy
    ice_fairy Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I too am complaining to the OFT about this company. They cannot be left to bully people, most of who are innocent people who do not actually owe a penny.
    Thanks to all competiton posters, This really is the best ever hobby :j
  • My partner is also being harrassed by SRJ for a debt they say was due to CARPHONE WAREHOUSE, there is no debt of course. We have just started to receive the "standard letters" they seem to be sending everyone else. Ive been doing a little bit of investigating into this SRJ and discovered that one of its Directors, "Simon Jones", is also a Director of these other companies: Fredrickson Holdings Ltd (the holding company of SRJ), Fredrickson International, Bella Vista Restraunts, Credit Account Management Ltd, Cyclone Asset Management and SRJ. Some of his other companies have been dissolved. If you go to the 'freds' website you will see all the companies together and the website shows you how wonderful they supposedly are. Ive also checked the holding company's accounts, very profitable and no wonder, although SRJ dont seem to be doing so well right now. Also another one of their Directors owns "Golf Management International" check it out on google.

We wont be giving them a single penny of our money because its not theirs. I will be reporting them to the OFT, Im not putting up with their threats.
  • ice_fairy
    ice_fairy Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 July 2009 at 2:38PM
    hi teeny666. Please do report them as I have written to the OFT and am waiting for a reply.They contuinue to harrass me even 1 month after I have given them a cancellation ref from AOL. They should not be allowed to get away with it.
    Thanks to all competiton posters, This really is the best ever hobby :j
  • Just had a letter from them claiming to be chasing a debt from my mobile phone operator for an account I cancelled 2 1/2 years ago. On phoning the phone operator, I established that 1) a bill and all further correspondance had been sent in error to my old address (They had my new address) and that 2) the bill was sent out in error, their mistake, they were very sorry and would cancel the amount owing.

However this was all after I had phoned SRJ - Oh dear! they would only look into it if I could provide written proof that I didn't have that account (I rather sarcastically pointed out that there were probably several million phone accounts that I didn't have and that I would struggle to prove non-ownership of any of them!)

Anyway, among the more memorable advice they gave me was (Gods honest truth these are the actual words used)

'I've got nothing to prove that I don't own that account, I shredded all the paperwork a year after cancelling the contract'
    "Well the best thing to do is just pay, then we won't have to take you to court"

"We don't have a complaints procedure"

"I don't have a manager"

And the icing on the cake;
    'The address on the letter is a PO box, do you have a geographical address?'
    "No"
    'So does that mean your talking to me from inside the PO box?'
    "Yes"
  • I have received a number of letters from this company but they are addressed to a person I have no knowledge of. I've lived in my house for 2 years, and as far as I'm aware the lady on the address has never lived there (I used to have to forward the previous tenant's mail!). I haven't opened the letters but have just returned them to the sender stating that the person is not at this address, but I just googled the return address to find it is a debt recovery company (the return address is PO Box 1173, Woking, GU22 2BS), and I'm a little worried about the situation. Can anyone tell me if they have would be able to take any action/ blacklist the address even though the named person doesn't live here?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure