iPhone v HTC Desire

badmoon
badmoon Posts: 86 Forumite
I know this has probably been asked loads before but everyone has their own needs and I'm easily confused!

Completely torn between both phones though today made moves towards the i-phone, just want to be sure in my mind it's right for my needs.

I've had a nokia 5800 - I have an ipod touch which I do love. Like to surf the internet and look at facebook/twitter, not obsessively or constantly though. Would like to be able to access the internet probably 2 to 3 times a day.

Like to be able to access my emails when I need to and to be able to watch the odd video. Got a big library of stuff from i-tunes. I do like the look of the iphones as I love my ipod touch and the apps sound great but I want to be sure in my that it's that which'll work for me.

So...bearing in mind the above and if there's any further questions I can answer to help. What do you think or is it entirely subjective as I suspect?

Thanks.

Comments

• purple12
    purple12 Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I haven't got an answer for you I'm afraid but I chuckled when I read this because I was in practically exactly the same position as you.
    I love my ipod touch and have a lot of apps. My contract is up and I wanted to get an iphone. I just got cold feet at the comparison of prices and some of the very well documented problems.

My Desire is being delivered tomorrow so maybe I'll update in a couple of days. I am very far from an apple hater. I really wanted to like them but honestly, the iphone while being within my budget would be a lot more than the deal I was offered on the Desire (and I got an 18 month rather than 24 month deal on it).

I wouldn't have baulked at the price if there hadn't been mixed reports and concerns about reception to be honest. I haven't tried the Desire yet but at least I've saved a fair bit of money by jumping that way :)
  • I have an Iphone 3GS but am a bit fed up of it and since upgrading the software to v4.0.1 have had nothing but problems with it.

My HTC Desire is also being delivered tomorrow (was supposed to be today!) I have been into a store today after reading a few reviews about the samsung galaxy s but really didn't like how big it was or the feel of it as it is very light and lots of plastic on it - whereas the desire had a really nice look and feel when holding it.

Also got a look at the Dell Streak but OMG how big! Was more like an internet tablet than a mobile phone.
  • badmoon
    badmoon Posts: 86 Forumite
    Thank you both. Will go back into shop tomorrow. Have put my name down for an iphone 4 but presume I can change my mind if I want to. So undecided. Gah.

Does anyone know if it's easy enough to transfer everything (such as contacts) from my 5800 to the desire?

Thanks again.
  • lozzaman
    lozzaman Posts: 292 Forumite
    If you can get them on an Exchange server (such as GMail) that's an easy way to transfer contacts.
  • KI2000
    KI2000 Posts: 27 Forumite
    I have been mulling over which smartphone to get and narrowed it down to these two. The Desire HD (or 'Ace', has bigger screen,HD recording) is out in october and Steve Jobs said he'd review the iPhone reception issue at the end of september suggesting maybe there'll be a better fix then (new model perhaps?) so I'm going to have to wait for a few months.
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    forget these phones and just wait for the HTC ace which is far better as its based on the EVO without the 4g bit
  • flyingscotno1
    flyingscotno1 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    KI2000 wrote: »
    I have been mulling over which smartphone to get and narrowed it down to these two. The Desire HD (or 'Ace', has bigger screen,HD recording) is out in october and Steve Jobs said he'd review the iPhone reception issue at the end of september suggesting maybe there'll be a better fix then (new model perhaps?) so I'm going to have to wait for a few months.

Not to mention Windows Mobile 7 phones will possibly be hitting the market that time too. For me Android has a big advantage in flash but when FroYo is launched that will be immense, full clips on the BBC site as opposed to only partial ones at the mo.

I posted this in the iPhone thread- read the linked review and see-
    N20Y1D wrote: »

Actually a fair review of them and points out the good points and bad points quite rationally. I find that summarises my albeit limited experience with them, there is not much between the iPhone 4 and the HTC Desire at all- some things are better, others worse and you can see Android still is young.

For me choosing these phones will come down to a few personal things.
    Those are what people want - not only to do with the phone but personally. The iPhone is still a name to have as Apple pushes it high end (despite nowadays every man and the plumber seemingly owning one now!). Cost is a factor as the iPhone is premium priced. Availability as everyone seems to struggle with demand now. The other factor will be reliability as I know several folk who have got a Desire or gone with a 3GS rather than the iPhone 4 as they are concerned about these issues in the press or think that either there may be a solution soon so don't want to commit or a new version soon.

It is a difficult decision but with either of the 3 you won't go far wrong.
  • Personally I would recommend the iPhone 4, I know some people will leap on me for saying it, but I find Android a bit too "messy" for my liking. By that I mean the sheer number of different UIs is a bit confusing, and there are so many new models and older ones seemingly are abandoned (particularly by HTC).

I have the Hero, now if I hadn't Rooted it and put on a custom ROM, I would still be stuck on 1.5, as the manufacturer took months to get round to porting 2.1 to the device, in fact 2.2 was released in the meantime! Anyway, there seems to be a patten of releasing a good phone getting lots of people on it, then abandoning it a few months later when something better comes out.

I have had a few HTC phones in the past, right back to the good old XDA, and its always been the same, if you know what your doing, sure you can keep up to date with the latest version of the OS, but for A N Other, the support just seems to evaporate.

At least with Apple, they do try and continue to support the device for a couple of years. And before someone mentions the death-grip, I can do the same with my Hero, but in Ferryhill, County Durham, where HTC Heros, Desires, Wildfires, a Legend, an Xepria, and even a 3GS cannot get an Orange signal, the iPhone 4 not only gets a signal, but works like a dream and in a week of constant use between 23 people has had just 1 dropped call.

Sorry for the rant, just get a bit sick of the iPhone bashing (which seems to be coming from people who have never used on!), when I and my colleagues have yet to have any problem with it at all, and I will defiantly be replacing my terrible Hero with one in October when my contract is up.
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    I would think either would be fine for the op's needs tbh.
  • aaranj
    aaranj Posts: 262 Forumite
    If you already have an iPod Touch, there really is no need to buy an iPhone. iPhone prices are extortionate and the iPhone doesn't really add that much more in extra functionality when compared to an iPod Touch. Get a HTC Desire, keep the iPod Touch and enjoy the best of both worlds.
    Mega Doctor Who, Gadget and MSE Fan!
    If you found my post helpful then please click "Thanks"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family