PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Comments

• Hi I am new to this forum lark so apologies if somethings wrong.

I recently made a PPI claim against Halifax who my mortgage was with. I have all their paperwork and paid an insurance on the account every month of about £13.

Halifax have got back to me and said that a financial services company sold me the product so I cannot claim off Halifax and they've closed the complaint.

They suggest I contact the financial services company.

Is this correct even though the payments were paid to Halifax?
    HELP:mad:
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    marie0421 wrote: »
    Hi I am new to this forum lark so apologies if somethings wrong.

I recently made a PPI claim against Halifax who my mortgage was with. I have all their paperwork and paid an insurance on the account every month of about £13.

Halifax have got back to me and said that a financial services company sold me the product so I cannot claim off Halifax and they've closed the complaint.

They suggest I contact the financial services company.

Is this correct even though the payments were paid to Halifax?
    HELP:mad:

Why would the payments be made to the Halifax if they did not sell the product?
    Halifax are correct. You cannot complain to them about something they did not arrange. That is a bit like complaining to Tesco about something you bought in ASDA.

What is the insurance for? £13pm sounds a bit low for MPPI. That size of premium is more typical of life assurance.

Why are you complaining? Most people take out insurances to cover their mortgage. Its one of the reasons why most MPPI complaints fail. The successful complaint rate against brokers/advisers on MPPI is very low. The UK's largest mortgage broker network (who arrange around 1 in 5 mortgages in the UK) had fewer than 30 cases against them at the FOS for the last 6 month period. PPI is not really seen as a mortgage broker/adviser issue. Sure there will be some but the volumes are very low. So, why do you think you buck the trend?
    Finally, when did you buy it? This is important as regulation for brokers/advisers started in Jan 2005. Banks have to go back further but brokers/advisers do not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Hi all

Wanted to get some advice please

Was helping my Mum sort through her warbrobes and we came across lots of old paperwork. Found 3 lloyds old loans and 3 Halifax loans with ppi over 10 years and we found confirmation on a statement and on old bank statements. Various loans for a car kitchen etc
    So I took martins advice and sent the letters to the banks
    They have now responded with a huge question are to fill in
    Not sure what information is important for the decision?

At the time my mum was a widow, she worked full Tim, received a widows pension from the government and had a private pension through my dad. She had 10 weeks sick pay and no mortgage and had pep savings etc
    On the forms we found the boxes for ppi were already ticked
    She was a widow and can't remember anyone telling her it was an option

Does anyone think she has a good case?
    We are quite intimated by the size of the application form
    And some answers she can't remember

Any help so very much appreciated

Thanks in advance
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Not sure what information is important for the decision?
    Just answer the questionnaire as fully and honestly as you can.
    This won't have been the case at the outset. Only online applications had pre-populated boxes which were deemed unfair.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

It is not possible to have pre-ticked on paper forms. What likely happened is that it was agreed to be had and they selected the options on screen and then printed the form.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Hi all new to posting on here just thought I'd share my ongoing experience.
    First a bit of back ground, my father passed away at Christmas and on clearing out the family home I found paper work for old accounts from my youth.
    The first one I've put a complaint into is Barclays for a Barclaycard dating to 1999. I submitted a complaint online 2 weeks ago and received a letter this morning saying they will contact me by 29/5/2017 but I could track the progress online using their "track it" page.
    I logged onto track it and it says my complaint has been investigated and a final response sent all in 2 days 😳😳 .
    Will know just have to wait and see.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Hi,

Never thought I would need this section as I was sure we had never had PPI..

but we are clearing the loft and I just found a binder of statements for a Lloyds credit card my wife had and each one has 'Cardholder Protection Plan' charges on.

The statements are from Jan 94 to Feb 98, there may be some older ones around but I have not found them yet.

Having read the various guides on here, I get the impression I could go straight to attempting a claim?

The sums are relatively small per month but there are a lot of them, would a claim be for the simple sum of the payments at 1994 money or include an element of interest or compensation?

Thank you.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Hi,

Never thought I would need this section as I was sure we had never had PPI..

but we are clearing the loft and I just found a binder of statements for a Lloyds credit card my wife had and each one has 'Cardholder Protection Plan' charges on.

The statements are from Jan 94 to Feb 98, there may be some older ones around but I have not found them yet.

Having read the various guides on here, I get the impression I could go straight to attempting a claim?

The sums are relatively small per month but there are a lot of them, would a claim be for the simple sum of the payments at 1994 money or include an element of interest or compensation?

Thank you.

You can make a complaint directly yes, just provide your complaint details, evidence (send copies, not originals e.g. a work contract if you are saying you had company benefits that mean PPI was pointless or a record of you signing on if you were unemployed) and post it off.

If they agree you are miss-sold you get a refund of the premiums, any attendant interest (where you would have been in credit if not for the PPI) plus 8% simple (not compound) interest
  • MIKE770
    MIKE770 Posts: 72
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Can you claim back PPI even if a claim was made say in 2007/8?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    MIKE770 wrote: »
    Can you claim back PPI even if a claim was made say in 2007/8?

In theory, yes, dependent on your reason for complaint.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback