Help - bank savings

Me again!

Well I need to move all of my cash about now as the rates are dropping ... can someone help/suggest?

I have:

TSB current accounts x2 which are at £2k each (however I use one to hold my 'yearly' bills - car insurance etc - so will need access to this cash when I move it into another account)

I've opened up a few accounts recently to drip feed which I think I'm doing wrong....

First direct (for reg saver account)
Barclay blue
Co-Op

And tesco for the direct debits

First payments/transfers haven't happened yet. I've set up:

First direct £1000

To

Barclay blue
(2 direct debits to tesco £4)

To co-op £996
(4 DD to tesco)

To first direct £998

I then plan on moving money from tesco back to fd

However, since Halifax are stopping their monthly reward I'm thinking of moving my main bank to FD (been told if I switch within 3 months I get the bonus )

I know I shouldn't leave the ,£1000 in FD but I'm not sure where to move it to and to be honest, my brain is getting frazzled now - Inc kids banks I'm trying to run 16 accounts :-o

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,581 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    However, since Halifax are stopping their monthly reward I'm thinking of moving my main bank to FD (been told if I switch within 3 months I get the bonus )

I'd stick with an account that pays interest for your main account. Halifax are not stopping the monthly reward, just reducing it to £3
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    After the January changes you will still keep the two TSB accounts but need only keep £1500 in each to earn interest of 3% - one of the accounts may be changed to an enhance current account but you will be given two months' notice if this is to happen.

Have you opened a couple of Tesco current accounts?

With regard to First Direct, there is no need to pay in £1000 a month to avoid the fee or to keep £1000 a month in the account.

You simply need to open another savings account in addition to the regular saver and fund it with a pound or two.

The Nationwide Flexdirect account and its associated regular saver may be worth considering.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post

First payments/transfers haven't happened yet. I've set up:

First direct £1000

To

Barclay blue
    (2 direct debits to tesco £4)

To co-op £996
    (4 DD to tesco)

To first direct £998

I then plan on moving money from tesco back to fd

You're moving £996 to Co-Op but £998 and 4 DDs out, is this correct?
  • TheShape wrote: »
    You're moving £996 to Co-Op but £998 and 4 DDs out, is this correct?

No, brain frazzled sorry!
  • OK, so ive spent a good time on this tonight and hopefully I'm somewhere!

OK... I have:

Halifax 1 - main account for DDs/bills getting ,£5
    Halifax 2 - soley for groceries/petrol - no interest etc

TSB 1 - 'yearly' bills 5%
    TSB 2 - savings 5%
    TSB Reg saver 5%

Barclay blue - drip feed
    Co-Op - drip feed
    First direct - just opened for reg saver

OK... if I:

Move Halifax 1 to FD I get £100 (FD bonus if I move within 3 months of opening account)
    Halifax 2 *should* then get £3 month - still use this account for groceries/petrol but add to drip feed to run money through

TSB 1 will drop to 3% (has £2000 in at Mo)
    TSB Reg stays at 5%

TSB 2 may/may not move to another account I need to check and move this £2000

Open flex direct with money that's currently in FD

Drip feed to hit targets:
    Flex direct
    Barclays
    Co-Op
    Halifax

Use tesco for direct debits

Does that sound OK?!
  • Sorted kids out....

Halifax reg won't change
    I need to move JISA and easy access from nationwide to HSBC and Coventry but I heard HSBC were dropping kids rate (in branch) but not heard when
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,194 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    OK, so ive spent a good time on this tonight and hopefully I'm somewhere!

OK... I have:

Halifax 1 - main account for DDs/bills getting ,£5
    Halifax 2 - soley for groceries/petrol - no interest etc

TSB 1 - 'yearly' bills 5%
    TSB 2 - savings 5%
    TSB Reg saver 5%

Barclay blue - drip feed
    Co-Op - drip feed
    First direct - just opened for reg saver

OK... if I:

Move Halifax 1 to FD I get £100 (FD bonus if I move within 3 months of opening account)
    Halifax 2 *should* then get £3 month - still use this account for groceries/petrol but add to drip feed to run money through

TSB 1 will drop to 3% (has £2000 in at Mo)
    TSB Reg stays at 5%

TSB 2 may/may not move to another account I need to check and move this £2000

Open flex direct with money that's currently in FD

Drip feed to hit targets:
    Flex direct
    Barclays
    Co-Op
    Halifax

Use tesco for direct debits

Does that sound OK?!

I really don't understand your reference to 'drip feed' in relation to Co-op & Barclays. 'Drip feed' usually means from a current account into a high interest regular saver.

Neither Co-op nor Barclays offer that. Do you mean you are using them for the monthly rewards/blue/cashback and have to meet minimum monthly funding to qualify? If so, why are you paying your main DDs and bills from Halifax?
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    badger09 wrote: »
    I really don't understand your reference to 'drip feed' in relation to Co-op & Barclays. 'Drip feed' usually means from a current account into a high interest regular saver.

Neither Co-op nor Barclays offer that. Do you mean you are using them for the monthly rewards/blue/cashback and have to meet minimum monthly funding to qualify? If so, why are you paying your main DDs and bills from Halifax?

I Think the OP means they will drip feed into Barclays and Coop to meet the funding requirements, The OP could either use their main DD from Halifax or either Coop or Barclays, but dont forget Halifax still need 2 DD to pay out to get the reward payment.

OP doesn't say how many DD are paid out of Halifax but it maybe for the ease of knowing all bills are accounted for and paid from one account on first glance.
    So I suppose it depends on how many DD are paid out of Halifax.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing