Warning: Tyre Insurance Ripoff

Comments

• i've recently cancelled my bmw tyre insurance due to the fact of the price and that the finance guy there telling me afew porkies which i caught him out on. well i chose to insure my tyres with car2cover RFT £224 for 5 tyres upto £250 each. compare this with what bmw tried to sell, £299 instant saving of £75--done..note you need to insure with 14days of vehicle purchase to qualify and you get an instant quote online.:j
  • Tyre cover is a big con have just tried to make a claim on my tyre insurance which I took out when I brought my car broke down with a flat tyre last night .Took the trye to a garage they ordered a new one in as it was a special make so ok .Rang the insurance company today they said it was a false claim as I had not let them know but I explained it was after hours and the policy does state that it is ok so I emailed the bill to them and they told me they wont pay as the tyre had gone in one day and I had paid the next day so they will not pay out my claim .SO ITS A BIG CON when you buy things in good faith very dissappointed .
  • dickybird wrote: »
    Tyre cover is a big con have just tried to make a claim on my tyre insurance which I took out when I brought my car broke down with a flat tyre last night .Took the trye to a garage they ordered a new one in as it was a special make so ok .Rang the insurance company today they said it was a false claim as I had not let them know but I explained it was after hours and the policy does state that it is ok so I emailed the bill to them and they told me they wont pay as the tyre had gone in one day and I had paid the next day so they will not pay out my claim .SO ITS A BIG CON when you buy things in good faith very dissappointed .

Hi

I'm thinking about taking insurance out as the run flats for my car cost £250 and £310 (front and rear). Who was this policy with?
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I been driving for 25+ years 10 years on my own car, never once replaced a tyre other than wear and tear, I accept flat tyres., punctures, and rarely fortunately blow outs happen but better to put money aside for this than wasting money on insurance

I know thread is old and bumped up
  • Prowse
    Prowse Posts: 3 Newbie
    Well I've had punctures in 50% of my tyres over the last decade or so (mainly due to contractors sweeping out their vans in our College car park). So I've just taken the tyre insurance, I think it'll be well worth it for me.
  • sfax
    sfax Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    savemoney wrote: »
    I been driving for 25+ years 10 years on my own car, never once replaced a tyre other than wear and tear, I accept flat tyres., punctures, and rarely fortunately blow outs happen but better to put money aside for this than wasting money on insurance

I know thread is old and bumped up

How many of these cars had run flats? I wouldn't buy insurance for normal tyres but RFTs are more likely to get a flat than standard tyres. Hence the need for insurance.
  • Biffer wrote: »
    I just bought a used car from our local BMW dealership. They tried to sell us a whole load of protection policies that cover paint, gap insurance etc. We said no to all of them, but the tyre protection policy looked like a really good deal.

For just £299 they would replace up to 5 damaged tyres over a period of 3 years. This car had Run Flat Tyres (RFT) and knowing that RFT's cannot be repaired after a puncture (I've got them on my other car) and that they're almost twice the price of normal tyres, we decided to sign up for this one. A single tyre on this car can cost over £250, so we thought this was a no brainer. Thinking it was too good to be true I studied the small print before signing but all seemed fine.

I got the full policy document through yesterday and guess what? It was too good to be true! The limit on the policy is £300, which is enough to cover just one tyre, not 5. In fact I can't think of any recent BMW's that you could replace 5 tyres on for £300. I just double checked and there was nothing about policy limits on the document I signed. I'm now trying to cancel the policy.

So a warning to others, don't just read the small print, ask for the policy limit to be confirmed before you sign anything.

try tyregiant.com £217 for fully fitted tyre balance included. thats for Bridgestone RFT for X5
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2012 at 3:23PM
    Derek1602 wrote: »
    try XXXXXXXXXXX £217 for fully fitted tyre balance included. thats for Bridgestone RFT for X5

Think they may have sorted something out by now as the post was four years ago.:D
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Forumite
    Derek1602 wrote: »
    For X5 Tyre log on to XXXXXXXXxx were you can purchase a Tyre for your car fully fitted at a cost of £217 Read instructions on web site as to were to get fitted,

Two posts by a newbie both promoting the same website looks remarkably like spam.
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,896
    Forumite
    Is tyre insurance just if you get a puncture? What would happen for wear and tear? I live in a remote part of country and need new tyres every 15 months or so as I do lots of mileage.

I guess it is just for a puncture?

Is there a minimum depth of tyre that you need for them to replace it?

Hubby has a BMW bike and I wonder if it would be worth it? He has had two punctures in the last 2 years. One BMW bike tyre costs around £180.

I have a BMW car and it has the run flats.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport