PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lodger on visa and electroral roll

Heres the situation - I share my house with lodgers. One of them is an indian national who had a student visa and now a work visa, and works full time

She pays no utility bills or tax here as she is effectively a houseguest (Her lodgings ie 'rent' include all bills and I pay the Council Tax on the property as I am the owner)

The council are aware she is here as I gave the names of my lodgers to the local Council when they moved in (They moved in within weeks of each other) as I had to unapply for single persons tax discount.

The lodger in question wants to improve her credit rating, which is very poor at the moment, according to experian. This is, apparently for three reasons

- Little to no credit history
- No utility bills (Though she can provide bank statements as proof of address so this is OK i think)
- Not on the electoral roll

The fact she is not a UK national may be a factor too, but its none of my business. She has asked me if she is registered here with the council, as Experian told her this would improve her credit rating. I told her about the council thing.

Really she needs to be on the Electoral Roll does she not? Can a non-UK resident be on the Electoral Roll (But presumably not be allowed to vote)?
Confused :D

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 April 2012 at 10:36PM
    If you are not eligible to vote you.... cannot register to vote!

However, she may be eligible:
    To qualify, Commonwealth citizens must be resident in the UK and either have leave to remain in the UK or not require such leave.
    Alternatively, you could reduce her rent and make her responsible for utilities I guess.....

On a related issue, are you doing everything else you need to as a landlord with lodgers?

LODGERS (Licencees)
    A lodger (broadly) lives in the same property with their resident landlord, and shares facilities. Unlike tenants, lodgers have few rights.

The Housing Act 1988 (above) provides definitions of 'Resident Landlord' and 'same property'.

There is advice for landlords considering taking in lodgers here:

LodgerLandlord (General information site)

Landlordzone (General advice on taking in lodgers)

Renting out rooms in your home (Government info)

Rent a Room Scheme (Government scheme for tax-free income from lodgers)
  • jc808
    jc808 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    If you are not eligible to vote you.... cannot register to vote!

This is what I tried to explain to her, and that while HMRC may note someone is at a property for CT purposes I dont believe (Could be wrong though) it affects Credit Scoring
  • jc808
    Oh and yes, I have my other obligations covered in respect of lodgers
  • paddyz
    paddyz Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    She can vote, but she will have to be registered first
    Mortgage start Oct 12 £104,500
    current May 20 -£56,290_£52,067
    term 9 years aiming on being mortgage free by 7
    Weight Up & down 14st 7lb
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    jc808 wrote: »
    This is what I tried to explain to her, and that while HMRC may note someone is at a property for CT purposes I dont believe (Could be wrong though) it affects Credit Scoring
    HMRC has no involvement in Council Tax.

She may be elegible to vote - see my earlier post!
  • jc808
    sorry council not hmrc

ive directed her to the electoral roll www ta guys
  • The_Palmist
    The_Palmist Posts: 771 Forumite
    She is probably allowed to vote and she can do so by registering herself. This shouldn't involve you.
    If you want to help her, you can change names on one of the utilities i.e. water and let the bill come in her name. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle for you.
    It's an easy solution. You can also request your council to put both of your names in bill. I have lived in shared accomodation before and we had up to 4 people on the council tax bill.
    Just make sure that the bills are paid on time.
    Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. - Alex Supertramp
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A mobile phone bill registered at your address meets the requirements for a utility bill.

Do not put your household bills in her name.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,638 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As a lodger she has no responsibility for Council Tax and so her name should not be on the CT bill.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Agreed...Do not ever put lodgers names on your bills. You could become financially connected and that is the last thing anyone wants.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure