Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

50 things in 2 years - for what would have been my sisters 50th birthday

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Anglea wrote: »
    Hi Mum2one, it must have been difficult growing up knowing what happened to your sister especially in light of what happened to your dad in recent years.

Good luck with your mission.

In a way theres was times that I felt quilty that she didn't survive and I did, in a way it affected aspects of my childhood, with my dad although we were close, it wasn't till I turned 18 that dad and I became closer.

With the situ with dad, its like its cancer again.... his mum passed of bowel cancer, so its looks like I will be screened from a sooner rather than later approach.

My DD is named after my sister - I felt it was a way of a tribute to her.

xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's strange you said that you felt guilty mum2one because my mother's sister died under horrific circumstances as a child and I only found out after badgering mum over and over even though she said it was best I never knew. There wasn't even a burial but I can't explain why here (I know but don't want to write it if you know what I mean).

I found that out when I was young and ever since I've been haunted by it. I've never told mum how it affected me. I still have guilt, fear, you name it yet it happened a long time before I was born.

I'm very sorry to hear things have turned bad again for your dad.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    mum2one wrote: »
    In a way theres was times that I felt quilty that she didn't survive and I did, in a way it affected aspects of my childhood, with my dad although we were close, it wasn't till I turned 18 that dad and I became closer.

With the situ with dad, its like its cancer again.... his mum passed of bowel cancer, so its looks like I will be screened from a sooner rather than later approach.

My DD is named after my sister - I felt it was a way of a tribute to her.

xx
    Anglea wrote: »
    It's strange you said that you felt guilty mum2one because my mother's sister died under horrific circumstances as a child and I only found out after badgering mum over and over even though she said it was best I never knew. There wasn't even a burial but I can't explain why here (I know but don't want to write it if you know what I mean).

I found that out when I was young and ever since I've been haunted by it. I've never told mum how it affected me. I still have guilt, fear, you name it yet it happened a long time before I was born.

I'm very sorry to hear things have turned bad again for your dad.

I can understand this to an extent too my Dad passed away suddenly 13 days after I turned 5 leaving me, mum and my 9 month old baby.

I have now outlived my dad as he was 29 and 5 months when he passed away and I am 29 and 8 months. It's really hit home that from now on I'll always be older than my dad I know that's strange but it's played on my mind a lot recently

It doesn't help that we lost my mum in Feb this year as well just over 2 weeks before her 52nd

I think what you are doing for your sister is a wonderful idea and wish you all the luck!
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Another little element completed - I hired at stall at a dogs charity - although was
    an xmas fayre, - the cost of the table went to the charity.... I hope my sister would have been proud, we took 2 packs of doggie chews and any owner that came to the stall with there dog we offered them a chew.

I have one beautiful dog who decided that we were going to be his second home...

Knitting - were still doing hats, so hoping to a collection to post off in 1 go,x
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Keep it up. :A
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Hi,

I've actually had a similar thought and came on here for help with ideas. I turn 30 next December and seem to be one of the few who doesn't mind. I realized this is probably because I'm very happy in my life and maybe it's time to give a bit more back. So I decided to try and come up with 30 good deeds varying in size and importance, to try and make someone else's life a bit better.

Here's my list so far...

1. Sing Carols at a nursing home (some may argue this is NOT making their lives better after they've heard me!)
    2. Pay for the person behind me somewhere (caf!/bus etc)
    3. Help someone move or unpack
    4. Send a care package to a soldier
    5. Try and track down the owner of something left in a lost or found
    6. Sponsor someone on indiegogo
    7. Spend a day litter picking
    8. Arrange for food/bedding to be sent to the ADAN charity in Rabat who took in a stray kitten I found
    9. Collect and donate a prom dress via the Princess Project
    10. Register with the Cinnamon trust to walk dogs/take pets to vets etc
    11. Be a Poppy Seller
    12. Take part in the Big Knit for Innocent
    13. Speed Volunteer somewhere in London (1 day volunteer projects)
    14. Make a penpal
    15. Volunteer in the local RSPCA as a dog walker/cleaner
    16. Donate blood or platelets
    17. Volunteer with Age UK
    18. Knit jumpers for Little Hen Rescue or the Australian Penguins depending on who reopens their drives first!
    19. Pick items off of the Gifts In Kind list for Great Ormond Street Hospital to send in
    20. Send a Shoebox care package for the Apes at Monkey World
    21. Make Mittens for Koalas harmed in the Australian bush fires with IFAW
    22. Buy a load of cheap umbrellas and hand them out for free on a rainy day
    23. Put out an offer to babysit for free to my facebook friends- help EVERYONE that takes it up!
    24. Make a Kiva Loan to someone abroad
    25. Donate to a Kickstarter fund
    26. Join the local Good Neighbour scheme to help local people who are lonely/old/disabled

I obviously need a few more so would appreciate ideas - I'm really trying to make a real difference to someone's day so I'd like more ideas like the free brolly one, rather than just giving away money to an enormous charity! I already regularly donate clothes etc to the local charity shops, and don't know how many regular commitment volunteer spots I could fit in my year, so please make suggestions no matter how small.

Thanks!
    Alex
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Alex - that's a lovely list, i'll have to rack my brains .... Xx
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Alex
    What about a shoebox for next Christmas ? too late for this year!
    This charity collects them for families or the elderly- and these folk really have nothing. Click on the facebook link to see pictures of the first delivery in Moldova last week:
    http://www.linktohope.co.uk/

be a volunteer car hospital driver?
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Katiehound wrote: »
    Hi Alex
    What about a shoebox for next Christmas ? too late for this year!
    This charity collects them for families or the elderly- and these folk really have nothing. Click on the facebook link to see pictures of the first delivery in Moldova last week:

be a volunteer car hospital driver?

The good neighbor scheme includes taking people to hospital/doctors appointments or even just to get their shopping which sounds lovely.

I thought about a shoebox but have decided to go one step further. I met the children from an orphanage in Angola about a decade ago, so I contacted them and asked if there's anything they need. Apparently they need lots of clothes so once I've worked out how to ship there, I'm going to try and do a bit of a drive for them. I don't want to ask for financial donations from other people at all as this is about me helping out, but I'm sure lots of my friends have old kids clothes they no longer need.

Both great ideas, thanks!
  • Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi allykerr,

That's a varied and interesting list.

It sounds like you've got more than 30 good deeds as a lot of them are volunteering for charities and are going to be more than for one day such as giving away umbrellas.

As someone that used to be a 'volunteer addict' I hope you can remember to take care of yourself too as it is very easy to get carried away adding more projects.

If you're looking for more possibilities -

Craft projects I've been involved with are knitting/crochet for a charity dealing with stillbirths and cross stitch motifs that are used to make quilts for people in care homes (I can give you the names if interested) in Uk

As I've noticed you mentioned overseas charities, there are ones that donate/make items for Native American Reservations.

Volunteer with special needs or fundraising/being on committees for local projects.

Volunteer with a UK charity that helps mothers with children under 5, visit in the home, be a listening ear as support. I think it's called Homestart.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure