Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

50 things in 2 years - for what would have been my sisters 50th birthday

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    a little update - were still ploddling along with the knitting, have 5 blankets done, and mums upto 12 hats...

Few more bits then were post a parcel off..

x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    keep up the good work.

Our daughter was born sleeping over 3 years ago and we still treasure the blanket she was wrapped in (it still smells of her).

So sorry about your daughter, xx
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,959
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Just wanted to say good luck with it all. You seem so determined which is great because that says you will complete all the 50 things you plan to do.

I shall be following you to see what you are up to next.

Very well done. What a lovely thing to do.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Thank you Edwink x
  • mum2one wrote: »
    I have just had a mad idea tonight, its a weird one how it came about, my parents lost their 1st daughter with cancer, she was only 18 mths old, and this month she would have been 48. Its weird as I was born 2 years and 2 days from when my sister passed away, my daughters birthday falls on 2 days later than what would have been my sisters bday.

So I am setting myself a challenge to do 50 things for charity, by September 2017 (her 50th).

Thinking...
    Cancer - she passed away with cancer,
    Dogs - She loved dogs, the dog my parents had when she was born, he then became my first dog.
    Baby/Child - She was diagnosed as a baby when diagnosed

Its not going to be great feats like climbing everest/ raising 10k, more on a personal level, whether taking bag of items to charity shop, knitting blanket for dog, giving towels, bedding to dogs home.

In planning mode at mo, doing palm reading at swishing event, for kids mobility charity, crochet 10 blankets for charity - for babies that are born sleeping..., next charity shop trip, drop off a bag at hospice shop.

xx

1 - took bin bag of items to childs charity shop
    2 - Brought bag of dog biscuits - homeless mans dog
    3 - 8 bags to charity shop
    That's a lovely idea.so kind of you.
  • charity starts at home.
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    charity starts at home.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion...

I'd like to give something back - as my parents were helped when my sister was diagnosed / ill / passed away

More recently my father was diagnosed with Bowel cancer last year, we recieved help and support - both emotionally and financially from different sources.

When my father was diagnosed we were away on holiday, and as such needed to stay on longer, we were to apply for a grant towards the additional costs, we were very lucky that McMillian gave us that money...

You never know when anything like that could happen, so if I can give a little something back.. I will x
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    charity starts at home.

What goes around comes around too.

mum2one I think it's lovely you're doing this in honour of your sisters birthday, it's like spreading her legacy amongst others. X
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    charity starts at home.

Sorry, what is that supposed to mean?
    Only give things to yourself or to those you know?... or keep everything for yourself?

Fortunately most people have more charitable thoughts... who knows when we might need to depend on (a) charity?
    In the meantime I shall be donating my time and goodies and am pleased that I am in a position to do so.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Mum2one, it must have been difficult growing up knowing what happened to your sister especially in light of what happened to your dad in recent years.

Good luck with your mission.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport