How much does external rendering cost?

Comments

• quietheart
    quietheart Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nelly you are a star, i thought it'd all need replacing. Thanks for the reassurance. :beer:
  • macka0
    macka0 Posts: 87 Forumite
    wouldnt use them premixed bags myself because they are mixed with red sand which does tend to crack when used as render......use wash sand and also uni bond the wall after you`ve brushed the flakey bits away
  • quietheart
    wash sand? will wickes know what i mean? would it be wrong to use to something lazy like this?
    http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/953439
    http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/186728
    thanks again!
  • macka0
    macka0 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Just a couple of quid dearer and also you wont get as much but if you only need one of its not that bad
  • home_alone
    home_alone Posts: 755 Forumite
    rovers wrote: »
    We've moved into a house with a single story extension which is about 20ft wide by 10 ft. About 7ft of it is a double patio door. The extension is only a couple of years old but the rendering is coming away and crumbling at the corners and the back door. Do you think we need the edges doing or the whole thing replacing. This blinking house is costing us a fortune.:eek: How important is this, do we need to get this done urgently or can it wait? Any idea of cost?
    Sorry for all the questions and thanks for looking.

You will need to go around the house gently tapping on the walls you are listening for hollow sounds which would mean the render is coming away from the wall, if that does not happen you are in luck and its just tarting up the bad areas, if its roughcast or pebble dashed (not quite clear in your pics) then its slightly different but still easy to correct. Best method is mix up a very wet mix using a brush stipple (almost like stenciling) the areas let dry then finish with whatever type finish you have (the stipple is a key if it fell off once it might do it again).

gary
  • quietheart
    home_alone wrote: »
    You will need to go around the house gently tapping on the walls you are listening for hollow sounds which would mean the render is coming away from the wall, if that does not happen you are in luck and its just tarting up the bad areas, if its roughcast or pebble dashed (not quite clear in your pics) then its slightly different but still easy to correct. Best method is mix up a very wet mix using a brush stipple (almost like stenciling) the areas let dry then finish with whatever type finish you have (the stipple is a key if it fell off once it might do it again).

gary

It is pebbley, can i get these from Wickes type places as well? What proportion do i put in? Complicated business for us newbies!
  • cargo
    cargo Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    "Safesound" Your house looks nice as is?
  • home_alone
    home_alone Posts: 755 Forumite
    rovers wrote: »
    It is pebbley, can i get these from Wickes type places as well? What proportion do i put in? Complicated business for us newbies!

Yes any builders merchant will have them just mix a very wet slurry and using a small shovel throw it at the area its a bit messy so blank off anywhere you do not want it to go.

gary
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I used that polyfilla on our house for a bit of pointing, repairing and its fine. We only painted the rendering after it dried with ICI weathershield. The polyfilla weatherproof is good for patching up broken corners on brick prior to painting. We just used a pointing trowel and a little trowel for small bits, it dries very quickly too, about an house and its almost set rock hard

The sand and cement mix (Hanson) is normally red sand we have used that too for repairing a outside perimeter wall
  • safesound
    safesound Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    cargo wrote: »
    "Safesound" Your house looks nice as is?

The rest of the house is rendered and I'm getting a slight problem with damp on that wall. I'm hoping its because it needs repointing and that getting it rendered will cure the problem.
    :A:A:A:A:A:A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport