2 jobs - tax and tax code question?

Options

Comments

• mcguireuk
    Options
    Basically their is no difference in tax rates for a director or an employee. However you will need to complete a Self Assessment form due to being a director. The business will pay tax seperately under the COTAX (corporation tax rules).

As a director you will still be liable for tax under the same rules as an employee.

If you have an accountant your best bet is to ask them about being a director and the self assessment process.
  • Ewissa
    Ewissa Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 April 2010 at 3:47PM
    Options
    Hi,just recieved my april payslips and find that my tax code has been changed from 647L what I had last year to BR.I have 2nd job where i work approx. 16-20 hours a week and from beginning I got BR tax code over there.In my 1st job I do 27,5 hours and had 647L,but now they changed it to BR as well.Is it correct?
    I never heard about anything like that.
    And the other thing is,that HMRC didnt send me any letter or antything,that they going to chage it or so...
    Last tax year 2008 /2009 I claimed tax refund,what was about 489 GBP,this tax year i should pay even more then last year.. It doesnt make any sence...Can someone help,and explain.Please.Thanks a lot.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ewissa wrote: »
    Hi,just recieved my april payslips and find that my tax code has been changed from 647L what I had last year to BR.I have 2nd job where i work approx. 16-20 hours a week and from beginning I got BR tax code over there.In my 1st job I do 27,5 hours and had 647L,but now they changed it to BR as well.Is it correct?
    I never heard about anything like that.

Normally if you have two jobs then one job will take your tax code and the other job will have BR. Both should not have BR as you are not getting any personal allowances at all.

If your 1st job earns you enough to use up your tax-free allowances ( i.e. you earn more than £125pw) then 647L would be correct and your 2nd job should have the BR code correctly applied to it. If you earn less than £125pw in your 1st job it would be possible to split your tax code between the two jobs to save overpaying tax and having to reclaim it.

I suggest you phone HMRC asap and tell them that both jobs are using the BR tax code. They have been making mistakes all over the place recently with their new systems.
  • loubylou586
    Options
    Im confused by all this tax stuff. My main job is 25hrs a wk but i am currently not getting taxed as my previous job was untaxable so im still within the tax free band. I have just started a 2nd job today which is 9.5hrs a wk. Im unsure as i dont know if i will start getting taxed. Im on min wage for both jobs. Can anyone help me understand it or anyone know if i will be taxed??
  • jem16
    Options
    Can anyone help me understand it or anyone know if i will be taxed??

How much are you being paid for each job?
  • ninjagirl_2
    Options
    with two part time jobs. i get taxed for both right? so is with the second part time job do i get double taxed and still taxed for the other 1?
  • jem16
    Options
    ninjagirl wrote: »
    with two part time jobs. i get taxed for both right?

Depends on how much you earn in both jobs.
    so is with the second part time job do i get double taxed and still taxed for the other 1?

One job will have your personal allowance attached to the tax code so you will have some income tax-free and some paying tax. The other job will have the full income taxed.

However all this depends on how much you actually earn on both jobs.
  • IANKH
    IANKH Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I had a main job and took on a part time post in the evenings,for 5yr all is ok then 12 months after i leave second job i receive £1750 tax bill saying for two yr's i received my allowance on both,but i maid no change to my tax after giving details to my second employer(A large supermarket chain) of my main post for tax purposes uin the begining and had a set wage in both posts.Either HMRC or one of my employers,so why am i at fault?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    UK tax is based on self assessment so you are responsible for checking your tax affairs are in order is the simple answer.
  • Rukia12
    Rukia12 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry I am new to this so not sure if i have done this the right way.

I am currently working 28 hours a week for £18 (£26208) an hour.My employers would like to offer me another day a week for 15.10per hour (5500year) under a different role.

How will this affect my tax and would it be 2 tax codes or joint pay as its 2 contracts and 2 roles? I am currently paying student loan and tax code is 747L.

Please help, I am not sure what is the most beneficial for me and I need to sign the contracts by thursday.

Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport