2 jobs - tax and tax code question?

Hi,

My friend has been doing 2 jobs (Main one and supermarket Part time) last finacial year. The main job is work 40 hrs and the tax code was 474L and looking at the P60 everything looks ok right amount of tax and NI deducted.

However the supermarket job the tax code on the P60 and payslips has always been "BR" the emergency code , thus I believe that the HMRC always deducted 22% tax off the pay each month.

My question is :- Is This the correct, that the 2nd supermarket job tax code will always be BR and she will always have to pay the full tax on that income?

Could she right to HMRC to look to see if the correct tax has been deduced etc?

thanks

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think that is the usual way the tax man does it, to keep it simple, for both parties.
    Your main income, usually the largest one, is the one all your allowances and deductions is put against. Any other income is then just taxed at the appropriate rate, 22% or 40%.
  • weaver
    weaver Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Hi

If you have 2 jobs one of them will be rated with a tax code i.e 474L which this year has changed to 503L. The second job will be "BR" basic rate.

so the codes applied are correct.

BR is not the emergency code,this year that is 503L wk 1/month1

It is always best to have the job you get paid the most at your correct tax code i.e 503L and the lower paid one at BR this way you are not paying 22% on your main income with no deductions.

Hope this helps
    Thanks to everyone who posts comps :T
  • It's correct I'm afraid, my main full time job is taxed at 22% and my part time job (8 hrs a week) is taxed at BR, 25%.
  • It's correct I'm afraid, my main full time job is taxed at 22% and my part time job (8 hrs a week) is taxed at BR, 25%.

I'm in the same boat. On the upside, when I became pregnant I received 2 lots of maternity pay :D
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,393
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's correct I'm afraid, my main full time job is taxed at 22% and my part time job (8 hrs a week) is taxed at BR, 25%.

BR is 22% not 25%.
  • The current Mrs. steady_eddie has now given up after several attempts to get full time employment and instead has resorted to two part time jobs.
    The gross total of the sum of both jobs is just a smidgeon under her allowances (now that she claims for cleaning her working clothes) in normal circumstances. Could someone confirm please if both jobs will be "tax free" or only one of them and she'll be BR d on the other with the option of claiming a refund at the end of the tax year ?
    Anticipatory thanks.
  • jem16
    Forumite
    If you do nothing she will have her tax code applied to the 1st job and BR applied to the 2nd job. This would leave her having to apply for a refund at the end of the tax year.

However if you contact your tax office they will be able to adjust both codes accordingly. They have done this for my son to avoid overpaying tax each year.
  • Thank you so much for that info. When you say contact the tax office, I presume that you mean the tax office i.r.o. the second job ? I think that this will be the preferred option in order to avert severe cashflow probs !
  • jem16
    Forumite
    Yes I would try that first. In my son's case it was the same tax office for both jobs.
  • ctm_2
    ctm_2 Posts: 479
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you so much for that info. When you say contact the tax office, I presume that you mean the tax office i.r.o. the second job ? I think that this will be the preferred option in order to avert severe cashflow probs !

Actually, no!

The way the tax system works is that the job with all the allowances is treated as the main source of income. The job being taxed at BR is the sub source of income. Each record may be held in different tax offices.

The tax office which holds the main record is the one responsible for deciding the codes. They then provide instructions to the office holding the sub record.

So, to get the allowances split you need to contact the office that holds the main record.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure