What Boiler do I have? Pay monthly plans or new boiler? HELP

Hi, sorry lots of questions. Firstly, I am getting ready to move into my bungalow soon hopefully although I bought it 4 years ago (don't ask)! I know the boiler was the original one in there from when it was built in 1991. It is a Glow-worm boiler and heats the hot water/radiators. In the airing cupboard downstairs I have a hot water tank/immersion heater that works (and I want to keep). Up the loft of the bungalow there is a header tank and another plastic tank. Now I've not had the boiler serviced but over the past 4 years everything has been working fine, heating/hot water. I've noticed that recently the hot water hasn't been getting hot by using the boiler, although it works fine when using the immersion heater so I think there are some problems somewhere. My options were to sign up to one of those plans however I am confused to whether my boiler will be covered as it is so old. Alternatively, do I just get it serviced or go the whole hog and get a new boiler that may be more economical for me and how much would it be for a new boiler/installation. Any help apprechiated.

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    probably just a valve sticking, or needs changing.
    maybe like this one. very common.
    CH_motorised_valve_Honeywell_mid-pos.jpg
    Get some gorm.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would get somebody out to do some diagnostics on it. (Gas Safe Registered). It may be that a service sorts everything out. If not, he will tell you what is wrong and how much it will be to fix it.
    he will also tell you if its beyond help and needs replacing.

Seems silly to buy a new boiler when the existing one may still have life left in it.

Interms of the monthly cover plans, you may find yours is too old or that they won't cover it until it is repaired.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Thanks, I will get somone out to take a look and perhaps also price up new boilers too, I wonder if I can get a grant too? Anyone know what the boiler system is, is it a condensing?
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Won't be condensing from nearly 20 years ago.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    ormus wrote: »
    probably just a valve sticking, or needs changing.
    maybe like this one. very common.
    CH_motorised_valve_Honeywell_mid-pos.jpg

A total guess, but I would say you have 2 x 2 port valves and the HW one needs a new head.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    aye.
    i just posted a piccy of the first MV one i found.
    Get some gorm.
  • Ok. I have four people coming out on Friday. I have decided that i'm going to concentrate on getting a new boiler mainly as it will probably be alot more economical and given the one in is 20 years old I think it will be a good investment. So the next question is what sort of boiler should I be looking at for a two bedroom bungalow with 6 radiators? I am going to ask the fitter for a price including a boiler but I am also going to ask for a price just for fitting as I think it may be cheaper to source my own and the fitting should be straight forward I would have thought. Can anyone recommend a suitable boiler that will be economical and good for what I need so I have a rough idea for pricing before the people come on Friday so at least I can look a little bit knowledgeable! Rachel
  • Hi

Personal preference is a boiler with a stainless steel heat exchanger.
    Vaillant, Viessmann or Remeha for example.

I assume you would be going for a combi in which case a boiler with an output of 28 to 30 k/w as a minimum.

GSR.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Hi, thanks for the replies (I'd thank you but the button has gone)! Right, yes I do want to keep the airing cupboard, tank and immersion heater, mainly as it is a good back-up supply. In terms of the make of boiler, I'm open to suggestions but something that saves on my heating bills would be great, and something that has a timer on it. If you can give me any particular models to look at that would be great, at least I can go armed with some prices.

Thank you all for this info, I'm determined to educate myself before Friday.
  • Hi

Personal preference is a boiler with a stainless steel heat exchanger.
    Vaillant, Viessmann or Remeha for example.

I assume you would be going for a combi in which case a boiler with an output of 28 to 30 k/w as a minimum.

GSR.

I forgot to add, one of the gas people I spoke to mentioned Vaillant and also Worcester Bosch (never heard of either), is there anything I should be particularly looking for out of these makes. I will update this thread after Friday when I have some prices and have done some research.

Rachel
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport