Clutch replaced in December has gone

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Could it be that OP didn't follow advice to change the slave cylinder the last time it was done?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Seriously? 500 miles a year. Sell the car and call taxis.

Of course I can't imagine anyone calling troll on this new poster.

I assumed it was a typo and meant thousand not hundred.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    flashg67 wrote: »
    The repairer will have a warranty on the clutch part at least, depending on their suppler, it may, or may not cover labour. If it is faulty, and not 'driver error', then any half decent garage would cover the cost as goodwill anyway

There is no way to 100% give the cost without removing the gearbox but you can take an educated guess I suppose based on the previous cost.

Is it just you who drives the car? I caught my other half riding the clutch at a junction the other day. I can't repeat what my comments to her were......

Right so we're just guessing there's a warranty somewhere.

Sadly for op he/she is the wrong side of 6 months and any remedy may delay on an independent report proving an inherent fault

Unless the garage play ball big time, and this side of removing the box then it is likely to cost op dearly
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    arcon5 wrote: »
    And what warranty will that be then?

The warranty on the clutch. Between the person buying it and the shop/factors they bought it from usually.

I don't know what parts you had fitted to cars in your garage but I usually used LUK and they had a Warranty.

That is why you should let the garage buy the parts on something like a clutch as then the garage will have to strip the car and get the clutch swapped.

If you provide the clutch then you are on your own as it was a customer supplied part.

Unless something has changed since I ran a garage, and I doubt that is the case.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If the car hs a DMF fitted, then it is always the practice to repace this at the same time as the clutch when the clutch fails (or replace the clutch if the DMF fails). The complete kit for a Picasso (clutch, DMF, activator arm and slve cylinder is around the £350 mark).

As for the comment on reliabilty of French cars, I have spent the lst 5 years driving along the A12 on my to and from work and have only ever seen two brocken down Citreons and one of those had simply got a puncture.
    I have seen many Fords, Fiats and Audis and a few BMWs waiting for recovery.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• bigjl
    Agreed Patman99

Many people wrongly state French cars are troublesome

The fact of the matter is all cars will fail at some point. Some friends of the wife have had a Picasso from new in 2003. They also bought a new C2 Diesel a year later which was written off a couple of years ago, his wife then bought a C2 VTR or something with the daft Autobox as she thought it would be just like her well maintained C2! It wasn't, it was an abused liability.

Neither their original C2 or the Picasso ever broke down, both are/were properly maintained.

I personally think that due to the poor residuals of most French cars people just don't want to spend on them so they are sold on with issues that the next owner or trader bodges.

That was certainly why we got rid of the mk3 Clio DCi that we owned for 6years or so, the handbrake light had started to come on occasionally, I was going to get it fixed when the clutch gave up the ghost.

The car was a leggy 56plate, and I didn't really want to spend over £1000 on a car that was not going to get any newer or become low mileage and had a value of less than £1500.

That car had a hard life though, being used as a workhorse for a Carer. Lots of stop start, sitting in traffic.

My Berlingo has had a fairly hard life, had low miles (27k) when we got it but now on 43k since November. Was used previously for short trip round Central London.

It's nice and comfy, but I paid £1000 so any money spent on it needs to be in the context of the vehicles ongoing worth.

It does have a few issues, the clutch is pretty high with a slight judder and it has developed the standard TU3 1.4 oil leak which i think is from the rocker cover but may be the front corner of the head gasket.

But what do you want for a grand?
  • KingS6
    KingS6 Posts: 400 Forumite
    This is comparing French cars against other French cars again.

Let's compare the average reliability of say a Renault Clio, as it's an example that's been used in posts, to a Suzuki Swift.

Or a Peugeot 407 to a Honda Accord.

Come on, Ford, Fiat, Audi and BMW are not acclaimed for their reliability either.
  • bigjl
    edited 27 July 2016 at 1:25PM
    KingS6 wrote: »
    This is comparing French cars against other French cars again.

Let's compare the average reliability of say a Renault Clio, as it's an example that's been used in posts, to a Suzuki Swift.

Or a Peugeot 407 to a Honda Accord.

Come on, Ford, Fiat, Audi and BMW are not acclaimed for their reliability either.

Honda Accord?

You mean the car that was for many years basically a Rover 600 and people used to say the Accord was reliable and the 600 not? They even shared engines, gearboxes and interior parts.

The Diesel engine from the 600 was the first Diesel engine fitted to a Honda if I remember correctly.

In fact the 600 was actually as reliable as the Accord, most had Honda engines or the aforementioned Diesel engine.

This didn't stop people saying they were unreliable because of the Rover badge.

But back to French cars.

Which French cars have Diesel engines that have designed in camchain issues? Like BMW 2.0 Diesel engines.

Merc S Class have problems with torque converters repeatedly, I thought it was fixed with current shape but the first S400 Hybrid also had TC problems in a few as 20k, new S Class also has problems with the heater.

What's the difference between say a 1 series BMW diesel and a Megane?

Depreciation!

Both cars are not hugely different price wise when new, but a few years down the road the 1 Series is worth more.

So people actually have things fixed, or due to the amount the car owes them they have to fix it.

The Megane will likely get bodged or sold on with the problem.

All cars have problems. It is just a case of wether people are able or actually want to fix them.

Look at the Zafira, many were bodged in regards the heater problem.

My old work still has over 100 mk2 Zafiras. The youngest will be a very early 2008, most are 06/07.

They have been used pretty much 24/7 since new, with obvious downtime for servicing/repair and when the vehicle was unmanned.

When did you last see a Bright Yellow Zafira on fire? As an LAS vehicle, just like a Met Police vehicle on fire would make very likely make news. At the very least on social media.

GWAS used Renault Megane estates for years, they were retired at 8/9 years old. A large private firm in London has used loads of Renaults in their fleet. Not just Masters but also currently in London Scenics, Laguna ( initially as RRVs in GWAS but now retired and used as Company Cars for some of the management) and they even used the Koleos as an RRV. Actually they were still being used for NHS RRV work near Portsmouth a couple of years ago.

They also had a load of Skoda Ovtavia VRS which were phased out pretty quickly and replaced with Ford Kuga, a mate has used one that he takes home and neither this new shape one or the previous leggy old shape has caused any problems. Mileages are high around 35/40k a year on many of the RRVs.

They also bought a few Sprinters, but guess what they were no more or less reliable than the Masters and Ducatos.

Huge parts of North Africa have loads of French cars. I think it is Iran where they build a version of the 405 that looks a bit like the 406.

French cars used to be hugely common in Nigeria aswell due to the availablity of spares in the past (not so much the case now)

https://ranwhenparked.net/2014/01/22/a-look-at-the-iranian-built-peugeot-405-pars/

If you look up pictures of Casablanca Taxis you will see some are indeed old Mercs, but loads more are Dacias and even 205's. I think they call them Petit Taxi, but I don't know if that is true.

Yeah, French cars are rubbish.......

All cars have problems and will have failures.
  • bigjl wrote: »
    Honda Accord?

You mean the car that was for many years basically a Rover 600 and people used to say the Accord was reliable and the 600 not? They even shared engines, gearboxes and interior parts.

The Diesel engine from the 600 was the first Diesel engine fitted to a Honda if I remember correctly.

In fact the 600 was actually as reliable as the Accord, most had Honda engines or the aforementioned Diesel engine.

This didn't stop people saying they were unreliable because of the Rover badge.

You mean the Accord which was replaced in 1998? You'd like to compare that with the Peugeot 407 released in 2004?

You should really get your timelines sorted if you're going to try and rebut arguments in that fashion.

I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with the 'French cars are crap/good' argument, BTW. I have my own thoughts, based on experience, but I have to stand against the unfair comparison you're trying to draw.
  • bigjl
    You mean the Accord which was replaced in 1998? You'd like to compare that with the Peugeot 407 released in 2004?

You should really get your timelines sorted if you're going to try and rebut arguments in that fashion.

I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with the 'French cars are crap/good' argument, BTW. I have my own thoughts, based on experience, but I have to stand against the unfair comparison you're trying to draw.

That post was in direct reply to the previous post that simply compared a 407 and Accord. My point being his assumption is that the Accord is more reliable because it's a Honda.

Whereas the previous Accord was also a Honda (based on a Rover) and was also considered very reliable.

If that make sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport