Car hire - wrong name on licence

NiniS
NiniS Posts: 13 Forumite
Hope this is in the right forum...

Having a bit of a late night panic as I booked a car hire in Spain a few days ago through Holidayautos. But I just realised that we very recently changed my partner's name (from a very long one having 9 names, to one having only 3). We haven't changed his driver's licence yet as we will be moving soon and thought we would get it done then (and we only just decided to book this holiday). Will this cause an issue with the car hire?

We leave on the 12th, so I don't think we will have enough time to get the licence changed?

I could take his old passport and the deed poll, but I don't know if they will accept this...

Comments

• rich13348
    rich13348 Posts: 840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Has any of the names changed or have you just reduced the number of middle names he has. Is his first and last name still the same?
  • NiniS
    Well the thing is that his first names (which he goes by) are not even listed first on his old passport and licence. They appear at the end, right in front of his surname. Strange, I know.

So we've basically just got rid of all the other first/middle names.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't think you have much option other than to go and hope for the best. And make sure you have a credit card with a high enough limit to let you pay the full cost again if necessary. I hope your Spanish is good enough to explain what's happened, as even if the hire company staff speak English I'd imagine this will be a rather confusing situation to understand in a foreign language.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Holiday autos look to be the best people to ask about this.

You can do that now and won't have any language issues
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Would you rent a car to somebody whose name doesn't match their documentation?

What name is on his Credit Card or Bank Card?

You really only have two choices that I see, send of the Licence or rebook with the name thatvisnon the Licence.

I can't see them releasing an expensive asset like a car to somebody on the basis of a Deedpoll.

Though to be honest I didn't think there would be enough room on the photo card for that many names to be fair
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Can't you just book it in your name instead?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • NiniS
    edited 28 July 2016 at 9:30AM
    I just looked at his licence, and it actually only shows 2 of his first names (the first two on his old passport)... yet in the past we have been able to book things like cars, flights and trains with the name he goes by now, even though this doesn't correspond with his old passport/licence...

The name on his debit and credit cards has always been the name he uses now as well. So again this is not the same as what the driving licence says. Strange how it hasn't been an issue in the past actually.

So we might be fine, but I'll contact Holiday Autos just in case.

And no I can't have it on my name as I can't really drive. :(
    Save
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family