Best place to sell your old CDs?

Options
Spring is in the air (well it’s supposed to be) so chances are you're thinking about having a clear out.

You might have loads of old cds and dvds lying about which you’re wanting to sell online. If so, where you gonna turn?

We want to know where you’ve had the best luck. Ebay and Amazon are firm favourites, but what about the others?

Have you had much success on other sites, like Music Magpie and CEX for example?

Let us know the best and the worst online places you've found to sell your stuff.

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• November_Rain
    Options
    Are you on Facebook? You could always try some of the local selling pages/groups on there.
  • LoreF
    LoreF Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Music Magpie and Zapper are good but you often don't get much unless you sell a lot.
  • Gram_Parsons
    Gram_Parsons Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm going to give Music Magpie a try. I have about 350-400 CDs that I'm going to get rid of. No way am I sending them all at once though as I want to try a small batch to see how it pans out. I've downloaded their app and tried scanning about 50 - averaging about £1 per album so we'll see what happens.

One thing I'm uneasy about is that they state that if anything they receive is not acceptable condition then they just keep it anyway and you get nowt! Anything I've bought in the last 15 years has been ripped to the PC and the CD put on a shelf.

Will update as things proceed.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm going to give Music Magpie a try. I have about 350-400 CDs that I'm going to get rid of. No way am I sending them all at once though as I want to try a small batch to see how it pans out. I've downloaded their app and tried scanning about 50 - averaging about £1 per album so we'll see what happens.

One thing I'm uneasy about is that they state that if anything they receive is not acceptable condition then they just keep it anyway and you get nowt! Anything I've bought in the last 15 years has been ripped to the PC and the CD put on a shelf.

Will update as things proceed.

Noooooo...... There's whole threads in MSE about folks who've basically been ripped off....

Anything of real value gets rejected and unpaid for, then MM flog it on eBay or Amazon for top dollar (say the other threads....)
  • Gram_Parsons
    Gram_Parsons Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've read a lot of the other posts. I've got a trial run of 40 getting picked up Thursday. If they rip me off then they won't get anything else. Best price offered in the 40 was £3 for The Adverts Anthology.

The total for the 40 was just under £40 so if I can average that for 350 CDs then that's £350 in the bank for very little effort. A tiny fraction of what I paid for them over the years but I'm going to recoup what I can now as I use a paid streaming service now.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Anything I've bought in the last 15 years has been ripped to the PC and the CD put on a shelf.

Not that anyone is going to chase you up - But if you are rippning copies and then selling the CDs its theft ?
  • Sugarcandy
    Sugarcandy Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have used Music Magpie several times and have had no problems, even discs with surface scratches were accepted. Only gripe is you don't get a lot for them.
  • Gram_Parsons
    Options
    I got all 40 accepted - £39.46.

Will be sending another batch next week.

Will also be deleting the ripped copy as I sell them.
  • Gram_Parsons
    Options
    Finally got payment this week for the first batch. So that was about 40 days from box being picked up by courier.

Another batch of 80 is already with them awaiting processing.

Third batch of about 150 this time will be getting sent off soon.

£3 seems to be the maximum you get offered for anything.
  • Gram_Parsons
    Options
    Second and third lots both been accepted. Not a single item rejected so far! Approx £270 made so far. Not the fastest and you don't get much but glad I've done it. Still got 50-60 to send.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure