Cat needs to lose weight

Options
We have a big black cat that weighs 7kg - He has joint problems and the vet wants him to lose around 3kg !
This is going to be extremely difficult - he has previously had health problems with his thyroid being removed (surgically).
He is not willing to "run around" (he is 13 years old) - and we think that he goes to a neighbour (who puts food out for strays) for additional supplement..... !!
So what is the best way to help him lose weight ?
The vet says to cut out wet food completely - but should this be done gradually or in one step
He is on YUMOVE advance for cats - so we are hoping that this will have some effect on his joints (IF WE CAN GET HIM TO EAT THE POWDER) !!
Any advice welcome

Comments

• ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Same here, mine also weighs in at 7kg and apparently his ideal weight is 4kg! Mine has been put on a diet by the vet and is now only allowed 45g of THIS per day.

He was on a wet food only diet before and swapped straight to dry food only with no problems, he just drinks a lot more. My cat is also on 5 weeks strict cage rest though (post-operative) so that solves the problem of him getting food from elsewhere ;)

We also gave him a glucosamine supplement in power form for his joints and found he eats it no problem if its mixed in with his food (wet or dry).
    :p
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ~Beanie~ wrote: »
    Same here, mine also weighs in at 7kg and apparently his ideal weight is 4kg! Mine has been put on a diet by the vet and is now only allowed 45g of THIS per day.

He was on a wet food only diet before and swapped straight to dry food only with no problems, he just drinks a lot more. My cat is also on 5 weeks strict cage rest though (post-operative) so that solves the problem of him getting food from elsewhere ;)

We also gave him a glucosamine supplement in power form for his joints and found he eats it no problem if its mixed in with his food (wet or dry).

Our cat is unbelievably fussy though - he refuses to touch the powder - even when it is sprinkled on wet food !
    Previously - he was on a mixed diet (wet and dry)
    This is going to be impossible
    He was let out for a run - the evening after his op - that is how resilient cats are !!
  • dandelionclock30
    Options
    Its hard mine weighs 6.3kg down from 6.5kg. I gave him Hills Perfect weight 55g per day until it ran out and he lost a little bit of weight. Even when I was being strict he didnt lose that much.
    I personally have diificulties with giving just dried food on a long term basis as theres a lot of evidence that it can cause crystals in the bladder. Obviously I would rather my cat be overweight than having blockages or worse.
    I currently give him Arden Grange Light and a few bits of chicken slices and some wet food.
    What I have done before is soak the biscuits in a bit of water first so its like a gravy.
    Wishing you all the best with it.
  • dandelionclock30
    Options
    P1000403.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business