Hutch size for 2 dwarf lop rabbits

Options
Hello.
My niece is having 2 dwarf lop rabbits and I'm in charge of getting a hutch for them. She was looking at the ones with an attached/ under run where the sleeping area can be closed off at night.

Can anyone recommend a good one? Hoping to spend less than £100 but not sure if my budget is realistic.

Thanks in advance
2 angels in heaven :A

Comments

• MarylandCookie_2
    Options
    The only advice is the bigger the better in terms of hutches and runs. Make sure the hutch has enough height for the bunnies to sit up comfortably. Pets at Home do hutches and runs, but they are expensive and quite flimsy. In the past I've always got my brother in law to make mine, much cheaper and more sturdy, and I can make it as big as I have room for.

Are you getting two boys/girls? I've had a mix of both, unfortunately both my pairs fought, a mix of boy/girl worked best for me, and I had the boy neutered.

Good luck and let us know how you get on x
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Might be an idea to look at ones designed for chickens too. More headroom and nice large run areas.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • danih
    danih Posts: 454 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Look at Rabbits United Forum.

They have a section on Sheds for bunnies. This offers plenty of room, and can be cheaper then a hutch. Also easier to clean.

Check out Gumtree and Ebay for hutches and runs.

Bunny owners are responsible for their pets entire worlds - stimulation, comfort, health, etc. Make it the best world you can!!
    :j got married 3rd May 2013 :beer:
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Pity you are not in North Lincolnshire. My neighbour got two small white rabbits for her children, now they have lost interest and don't want them. Rabbit Rescue are full and can't take them. They have a large home made pen and run which was made for chickens. Make sure the children really want them before you commit to spending money.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've found its building the run that's expensive, compared to the hutch. Mine is 5m x 4.5m and the hutch is in the middle of it but my bunny only uses it to sleep in. I know he'd like even more space than this but it was hard enough making it rabbit proof as all the weldmesh had to be dug down and a skirt laid around the edges.

I'd definitely go to a rescue centre as they will have bunnies that are already paired up and can advise about the right care/handling etc. Kids always seem to lose interest in pet rabbits sooner or later and they mostly end up in rescue.
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    I'd definitely go to a rescue centre as they will have bunnies that are already paired up and can advise about the right care/handling etc. Kids always seem to lose interest in pet rabbits sooner or later and they mostly end up in rescue.
    :T

So glad to hear it will be a pair of rabbits.

Rabbit welfare association recommends a minimum size of 10′ x 6′ x 2′ which is enough for them to hop, run a little, stretch fully etc. Many hutches fail to come anywhere near this but there are some really great alternatives like sheds, wendy houses and aviaries available.
    This minimum size should be constantly available as rabbits are crepuscular i.e. active primarily during dawn and dusk. If due to layout it's difficult to attach a run, tunnels can be used to safely let them go on their own to opposite ends of the garden.
    Please make sure everything you put in is fox etc proof and locked (people have been known to steal pets out of gardens).
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As said. Bigger is better. Im currently building a new hutch (2 Netherland dwarfs) which is 2m long,1m wide and height to be finalised but likely 1.8m.
    This is to be combined to the existing 2m x 1m run.
  • amr547
    amr547 Posts: 1,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 August 2015 at 3:02PM
    Options
    I'd recommend a children's playhouse or a shed. My two are in a 8x6ft shed with 6x4ft run. Make sure whatever run you buy have galvanished weld mesh on it as standard chicken wire won't protect the rabbits from foxes.

Alternatively if there's room inside, I have a single bunny in a standard indoor cage as his base and he has the whole box room to himself. We have used puppy panels to protect walls and skirting boards.vthe puppy pen was £20 on eBay and the cage cost me £25 or so from an online retailer. Rabbits are easy to litter train.

I recommend looking at welfare hutch company if you're dead set on getting a hutch alone. But having a shed or playhouse etc would make it easier for your niece to get in there and clean them out etc.
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    Lisa, I second going to the rabbits united forum! It's excellent there.

If you have the space I would always recommend getting a shed or playhouse. You get so much more space for your money compared to traditional hutches.

The RWAF (http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm) recommend a minimum hutch size of 6 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot WITH a permanently attached run of 8 foot by 4foot.

I have a group of bunnies (5) outside that have a 6ft x 3 ft x 3ft double hutch with a 12 ft by 6ft aviary attached. I have a pair of bunnies indoors that have free range of my kitchen and dining room and then a trio who have the spare bedroom.

The more space you can give the better. I got my hutch and run from a company named Boyles Pet Housing which are fantastic BUT they are more expensive than getting a shed. You could also buy aviary panels yourself off ebay and if you or your partner are DIY minded they're easy enough to set up.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• lisawood78
    lisawood78 Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the fab advice!
    2 angels in heaven :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories